Favorite rods for bass?

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
What are some of your favorite rods for bass? I was thinking about that when I was out the other day with a bass bug line and big mouse pattern. My other rod was rigged with a sink 6 and big streamer. Not throwing #16 caddis here! Just wondering what rods people like. I have been using 10' 7wt and a 9'6" 6 wt because I like the longer length when fishing from my boat or pontoon.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Not necessarily the best rod for casting big bass bugs from a kayak, but definitely the most fun for catching, is my 8wt Echo BAG. One of my longer and faster 7's or 8's would make slinging poppers easier, but bass n glass makes me happy :cool:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Redington CPS 9664S or Sage Z-Axis 896-4
SF

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Not necessarily the best rod for casting big bass bugs from a kayak, but definitely the most fun for catching, is my 8wt Echo BAG.
I feel like you've said before, but what line are you using with that? The Bass Bug?

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
I'm hoping it turns out to be a Wonderod 1370-B I picked up. Need to replace a broken snake guide, but then I'll get it on the water. Those bendy old fiberglass rods make even the little fish a fun fight.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Almost all glass for me. BAG 7wt, Berkeley P/M 6/7, Steffen Brothers 7/8. If it's super windy, I'll bust out my H3 8wt, but it's rare to find wind I can't deal with using my Steffen 7/8. I do have a Fisher 6/7 that I'll use on occasion and that's fun too.

This is all for smallmouth. If I regularly fished for largemouth like @Billy does, I'd be incorporating my 10wt. Epic Bandit to the mix.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I feel like you've said before, but what line are you using with that? The Bass Bug?
Titan Long. To me, it's kind of halfway between the Titan 7 and 8wt lines, so I line it up based on conditions and size of bug I might be throwing.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I bought the 595 after talking to you on the phone, and later bought the 695. Great rods. What line are you using with the 795?
Dt 7 but I don't throw big stuff like Billy.. if I am gonna do that much work I'll fish conventional but the DT will throw closers and deer hair poppers as long as you're not fishing too short the key to fishing bigish flies on a DT is getting some of the belly into the cast.

Last edited:

Russell

Steelhead
I'm using a Fenwick FF806 ferulite and a Scientific anglers system 7 for most of my bass fishing. Love the glass rods with open loops and durability. Can put a huge bend into them when fighting a toad.