Favorite Bobbers / Floats

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
For surf perch?
Not really for surf perch. Generally don't fish for those since none of us, in this little family, likes the taste.

I've actually used them over a feather type jig or bait for fishing for sand dabs with a fair amount of luck. But, I usually try to stay away from sandy bottoms and fish rocky drop offs when possible. Have caught greenling, black rockfish, snook and a few others, depending what part of the country I happen to be working in.

Kind of picked up on it when fishing the jetties in Kuwait. Watched a bunch of Hindi kids one evening use a balloon with live shrimp clean up on small hamoor , so adopted it to using bobbers.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I might have to rig something up next time we're at the beach with that for surf perch. might be a kinda fun way squeeze in a few casts during family beach outings.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I know a couple kayak fishing guys from OR. who use a slip bobber technique to fish for lingcod close to shore. Apparently it works well for them.

Joe H

Just Hatched
When I dig out one of the CP rods it's always a gray DNE 30 gm float with 5/8 oz inline weight, with rubber egg stops on either side of the float. A stop on either side makes it easy to slip or fix, and they won't slip through the tube. Simple.

Since I still have a couple dozen DNE's (in three different sizes), I like to pretend that I'll run a 25 gm with 1/2 oz inline or a 35 gm with 3/4 oz inline but it never happens.
The 30 and 5/8 combo has been my fave for years.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I not too picky and there is only one fishery I use bobbers in. It's a small tidal river where I fish fall chinook . I use the Beau Macs floats I think the ounce and a half size.

This was exciting fishing for me because I grew up around Tule fall chinook that never ever bit anything for me. In my childhood I literally spent thousands of hours fishing for them with only a few dark Jack's to show for it. So finding a place where bright chinook bit like trout was a blast.