Experience with streamer lines from a boat

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m looking at two 7wt floating lines to throw with an 8’6” dedicated streamer rod for throwing junk to the bank from a boat; I’ve already decided on an Airflo Superflo Ridge 2.0 streamer max short for a sinking tip line…

The lines I’m looking at are the SA Amplitude Titan Long & the Airflo Superflo Kelly Galloup streamer max long…

Suggestions or experience with these lines or others are appreciated

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Not from a boat, but I use a older Airflo streamer floating line off the beaches and like it a lot.
Throws decent size junk and has been super durable.
SF

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
When one of our forum members posted a sale by Cortland line company, I ordered a 200 gn floater with a 24 or 26' belly - I forget which. It's supposed to be for a 5 or 6 wt rod. I used it on my 6 wt Scott to throw 4 - 5" streamers for brown trout last fall. I can't say that I'm fully tuned into this line yet, but it definitely fits the category of ". . . it takes mass to throw mass . . ." concept. I've been tying these larger streamers in a way to minimize weight and bulk while maximizing profile. I don't know if this line is the best fit or not, but it sure handles the large flies better than my WF5F.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The streamer max short is an incredible line. From what I understand (happy to be told wrong), the short is more geared towards wading where you have less casting space and the long is better from a boat. I haven’t had the long, but I did have the shovelhead and it has a long head, similar to the streamer max long and I felt like I needed more space to cast it well (hence, it being a good boat line).

Am I making sense?

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
I have the Rio Big Nasty in floating and 3 other 3D densities. I've had the for several years now, and I really like them. I pound the banks a lot from a boat, and feel having density choices is a real plus.
I know the don't make the Big Nasty anymore, I believe the replacement is called the Predator, which I have not fished.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
The streamer max short is an incredible line. From what I understand (happy to be told wrong), the short is more geared towards wading where you have less casting space and the long is better from a boat. I haven’t had the long, but I did have the shovelhead and it has a long head, similar to the streamer max long and I felt like I needed more space to cast it well (hence, it being a good boat line).

Am I making sense?

Am I making sense?
Most of the boat streamer fishing I do is short casts to the bank, quick downstream mend an two or three strips…then pick up and and back to the bank…no false cast

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Most of the boat streamer fishing I do is short casts to the bank, quick downstream mend an two or three strips…then pick up and and back to the bank…no false cast
I'd just stick with that max short. It's perfect for that. Unless you're needing a little more distance, than go with the long. When I use mine for muskies, I'm firing to the bank and working all of the way back to the boat slowly and it acts like a full sink (that sink tip is VERY heavy).

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd just stick with that max short. It's perfect for that. Unless you're needing a little more distance, than go with the long. When I use mine for muskies, I'm firing to the bank and working all of the way back to the boat slowly and it acts like a full sink (that sink tip is VERY heavy).
I’m thinking of places that are shallow and changing spools to accommodate skinnier water…having a floating line to prevent hangups…but maybe your right…just throw unweighted streamers in that situation

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
Streamer max short is a real good one from the boat. A shorter head is better in a boat IMO, strip to the oars, one back cast and back in the water. When wade fishing you can afford false casts, in a boat false casts are just leaving more water unfished. Whether short casts pounding the bank as you describe or long ones stripping back across the whole channel, it’s the line that works well for me. The only time I don’t like it so much is for small single hook streamers, I’d rather use a gentler taper on a 5wt. But that’s my preference. I have streamer max long and shovel head as well and all around, the max short is the one IMO.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
@Brute
You might like something like this as well in the F/I or I/3. I have this line (I/3)and really enjoy fishing it.
In moving water and varying your strip speed, I don't think you'd hang up much with either option.
SF

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’m thinking of places that are shallow and changing spools to accommodate skinnier water…having a floating line to prevent hangups…but maybe your right…just throw unweighted streamers in that situation
You can fish them in shallow water. Just fish unweighted and start stripping right away

Shad

Life of the Party
I did some swinging from a boat this week with a Streamer Max line of some flavor. I have a couple of those lines and use them for typical streamer fishing, but they are awesome for swinging from a boat.

The guide I was fishing with uses a weight or two lighter than the rod for the boat swinging, and it makes it ridiculously comfortable to cast and control.