Enos Bradner's Lake

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Each year in late June I visit a brook trout high lake described by Enos Bradner in Chapter Two of his 1950 classic, Northwest Angling. This year I brought with my Sharpes 85 5 weight bamboo fly rod, a Farlows Grenaby loaded with intermediate line and a wallet of Enos Bradner fly patterns...

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 11.08.16 AM.png
It's a shorter hike now than in Bradner's day and the snow had melted early this year (get ready for fires this summer) but everything else was the same. I'll quote Bradner: "They hit with abandon, taking any fly that was flipped out to them: bucktail coachmen, gray hackles with yellow bodies, queen of the waters or carrot nymphs...

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 11.06.37 AM.png

None of the fish were large - they ran uniformly between 10 and 12 inches - but they were fast as lightning. Their flesh was deep pink, firm as marble and, fried crisp and brown for the next day's breakfast, they were as delicious a morsel as any mortal could ever desire..."

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 11.05.42 AM.png

Here's to Enos Bradner. Next time you fish, tie on a Dandy Green Nymph or Carrot Nymph or Brad's Brat in his honor.

5C8EC44B-149B-40AD-A856-712FEB2CE957_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Each year in late June I visit a brook trout high lake described by Enos Bradner in Chapter Two of his 1950 classic, Northwest Angling. This year I brought with my Sharpes 85 5 weight bamboo fly rod, a Farlows Grenaby loaded with intermediate line and a wallet of Enos Bradner fly patterns...

View attachment 70744
It's a shorter hike now than in Bradner's day and the snow had melted early this year (get ready for fires this summer) but everything else was the same. I'll quote Bradner: "They hit with abandon, taking any fly that was flipped out to them: bucktail coachmen, gray hackles with yellow bodies, queen of the waters or carrot nymphs...

View attachment 70743

None of the fish were large - they ran uniformly between 10 and 12 inches - but they were fast as lightning. Their flesh was deep pink, firm as marble and, fried crisp and brown for the next day's breakfast, they were as delicious a morsel as any mortal could ever desire..."

View attachment 70742

Here's to Enos Bradner. Next time you fish, tie on a Dandy Green Nymph or Carrot Nymph or Brad's Brat in his honor.

View attachment 70745
Just ordered a copy of the book, thanks for the recommendation!

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had to double-take on the second brookie pic. Did not have my glasses on and it kinda looks like your fingers are legs wet wading and the brookie is gigantor!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Someone’s trying to figure out where this are is ;)
I did the same thing. You can find lots of cool old books pretty cheap online!

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks Dave, I need to read Enos's book again, it's been a number of years since I last read it.