Early season minnows

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I made it out today on a lake I’ve been watching. The ice finally started letting go this week and today was ice off. I suspect it will freeze again next week, so I was very happy to have the chance today.

The day started about like I have come to expect on cold, windy February days. Not much happening but saw something interesting on the bank. Can you spot the observer?
188A098B-4B40-4FA2-AECB-3370C54BB513.jpeg
Don’t spend too much time. It has amazing camouflage.

After dinking around with some indicator stuff I stowed the bobbers and got out a sinking line to troll as I crossed the lake. About 5 oar strokes in I had a fish on. It was decent but pulled free after rolling on the surface. Hey, signs of life!

The W was limiting my options. I decided to anchor up on a shallow flat in a partial lee. I put an indicator out and shortly my first fish to the net ate one of @Billy ’s gloater jigs. Fishing was spotty but I kept grinding and found a few.

Around 11am the sun came out and I saw a couple chironomids hatch. I tried a couple little chironomid patterns fished deep and shallow but no love. To switch it up, I put on a big #8 atomic blood worm. Maybe they want a bigger target? Well, yes. At least a couple did. I took a throat sample and found…
110C328C-D076-4C8B-ACE4-87D1C3E7014D.png
Well isn’t that interesting. I caught another fish or two on the bloodworm then it got quiet. So I swapped the worm for an experimental balanced minnow. Size and profile were nothing close to the natural but they took a big old worm, so why not?
369078C5-CAE1-402A-A393-3116022F8F07.png
The good news is it was close enough. They ate it with gusto. My first real flurry of the day.
EB2130DB-456E-4C06-B6C3-2295C50A6DBC.png
Naturally, the fish of the day had its way. I made a cast against some shoreline brush that looked just right. Indicator down, set the hook, see the big flash and the fish was off to the races. Line slack and hook bent out. Booo! 😢

Ended up getting off the water with the W absolutely fierce and blowing straight off the launch. My ears still have that white noise Whooshh going on.

Any guesses about what species the minnow might be?

Here’s a blow up of the Great Horned Owl.
9D076DD8-468D-4610-A0BC-72AD713B84EB.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Great report! Thanks for taking us through the day. Ya figure that’s a bluegill fry?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Great report! Thanks for taking us through the day. Ya figure that’s a bluegill fry?
Ya, could be. If it hatched last spring/summer would be BG fry still be ~1-2cm? Seems a little small but I don’t know that much about spinyrays.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ya, could be. If it hatched last spring/summer would be BG fry still be ~1-2cm? Seems a little small but I don’t know that much about spinyrays.
The size is perplexing. Do BG ever spawn twice in a year? It looks like a YOY but the date is all wrong.

Smalma

Life of the Party
One of the things that make it hard for WDFW to control species like pumpkin seed sunfish is that while peak spawning for the species is late spring/early summer there is spawning through the warm water period with developing eggs even in October which seem to be more resistant to rotenone than the fish themselves. So my guess is the fish is from a later than normal spawning.

curt

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Great report, Rod. Call me a bit J. How about you post a SBS or at least a close up and material list for TP's Mini Minnow?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve fished the TPMM a few times around the state. It worked wonders at Pass one day. Just enough suggestion to get ate!

Nice work!

I looked for far to long at that picture. I’m glad you gave us the key.

cody-

Steelhead
I once had a 6-7" smallmouth bass I caught on a chironomid drop this guy out of its mouth. I think it was maybe a baby yellow perch since I was also catching those that evening.

IMG_20210603_200239329_HDR.jpg

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
One of the things that make it hard for WDFW to control species like pumpkin seed sunfish is that while peak spawning for the species is late spring/early summer there is spawning through the warm water period with developing eggs even in October which seem to be more resistant to rotenone than the fish themselves. So my guess is the fish is from a later than normal spawning.

curt
Thanks for filling in that blank. Likely another byproduct of our warmer, extended summers.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
In some small ponds I fish there are bluegill on beds from may through the end of september as long as it stays warm. Last year had 3 distinct sizes of YOY, with the first born class large enough to prey upon the final class hatching in oct. I wonder if any of those late born sunfish make it through the winter or if they just provide winter forage for everything else.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
In some small ponds I fish there are bluegill on beds from may through the end of september as long as it stays warm. Last year had 3 distinct sizes of YOY, with the first born class large enough to prey upon the final class hatching in oct. I wonder if any of those late born sunfish make it through the winter or if they just provide winter forage for everything else.
Based on TP’s sample, I’d say it seems like some made it over in that lake, this winter.