Dropshot nymph rigging

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
My go to fly fishing technique has always been nymphing, usually with indicator and two nymphs. With a heavy fly, like a Pat's on the bottom and whatever I think is appropriate above. This has served me well, so why change. Since buying a boat a few years ago and doing a lot of gear fishing for smallmouth bass, I have had very good results by dropshotting. On my last trip to the Yakima I decided to employ this technique to nymphing.

I used a leader from a Kell Galloup YouTube video. It involves 5' of 12# mono (he uses yellow Stren for visibility, I used Maxxima Ultra Green for the stiffness), knot on 3-4' 3 or 4X, and finally knot on 6-8" of 3 or 4X. Flies are connected to the leader with 4" tippet attached to the leader by running the line through a loop at one end above the leader knots, which act as stops. Kelly states that if the bottom fly is #12 or larger you can tie it on "inline". The split shot is added to the end of the leader.

It is still essentially a "chuck and duck" method which you can fish with an indicator or tight line (Euro?). Basically, you want to lead the flies, so the leader is at an angle upriver putting the bottom fly in the fish's face, off the bottom a few inches. Set up your flies in a natural configuration with a fly that would be expected to be near the bottom and one that might be found higher in the water column (pupa). Also, it probably fishes better with unweighted flies. Unfortunately, my box is full of lead weighted flies and beadheads.

My experience last week was I didn't catch any more fish than I normally do, as a matter of fact I didn't do well at all. However, I really liked the way this rig fished with an indicator. Even with the weight (I used on or two BB size split shot) ticking along the bottom I didn't hang up nearly as much as my usual rig and if the weight hung up, it either came off or pulled out of the snag. You do need to keep the droppers short to minimize tangling, especially the bottom one and don't let the weight get too close to the bottom fly for the same reason. I'm definitely going to continue experimenting with this set up. I would be interested to hear other's experiences with this set up.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Since I went to the Fulling Mills jig hooks I no longer drop shot. I will put the heavy bead fly on the bottom, and 12"-24" above that the Pat's (still wire wrapped) on a 4"-8" dropper. Then fish as you described. Stones can be a bit aways off the bottom in the drift, and as you're bringing the rig to you, that stone dangles above the bottom in view, and then they will encounter the weighted tool fly. Devin Olsen describes it well in his book but I'd figured it out before I read it. Two things, we may be encountering different bottom hang up conditions, and I do loose some flies. This works really well to present an egg in winter too.
Just as often I'll use a weighted fly on the upper dropper, unweighted below, especially if my drifts are getting primarily below me.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I think the Provo River bounce Rrig is fairly similar to what I understand you to be describing. Can be quite effective, but I prefer to just keep the point fly off the bottom and fish without the extra weight.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I think the Provo River bounce Rrig is fairly similar to what I understand you to be describing. Can be quite effective, but I prefer to just keep the point fly off the bottom and fish without the extra weight.

Exactly. The drop shot keeps the point fly above the bottom.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I tried it a couple of times, but I with several sections of mono and several knots, it's too much stuff to rig and easy to tangle. I can see it being great for boat angling, though, have a couple rods rigged and just flip it out there and let it drift next to the boat.

Yardus

Secret Squirrel
I've seen the drop shot style of rigging (with indicator) work well in rivers with really weedy bottoms. To my eyes, the technique looked to be the fly fishing version of bobber dogging except with the weight on the bottom. The Indi keep the flies out of the grass while dragging the weight through the cabbage. Not the most artistic way to catch, but I've seen how effective it can be. I've done it a few times and still prefer tight line nymphing in these situations, but it can be a good way to catch in challenging weedy conditions. More of a chuck and drag the speed of the water kind of thing.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I’m no longer a fan of drop shot rigs. It requires an excessive amount of screwing around, to get the weight of the flies and the shot right.

Many say that you should use unweighted flies and only the shot should provide weight, but that often just results in your flies drifting at the mercy of the shot. In any kind of complex current, which is the norm for high gradient PNW streams, it won’t work. You end up having to constantly rebalance the weight of the shot and the flies, which is just far too complicated.

I usually just fish a single weighted nymph. I would rather get an immaculate drift on one fly than a suboptimal drift on two (or more).

Last edited: