Do pedal kayaks and fly lines = tangles?

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
A question for the folks who have pedal kayaks (especially those who do not stand up and fish). Do you find that your line gets tangled up in the pedal tower? Do you use a basket or some other way to help keep line organized?

Reactions: Zak

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
They do tend to tangle, I've found that throwing a shirt over the pedals works just fine.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I do occasionally get the line caught up - usually on my sandal/boot, or on the For/Rev pulls. Not really on the pedals themselves. But honestly, no more often than I step on my line when in a boat! :rolleyes:

On the Compass, the clear area between the seat and pedals is about the size of a stripping basket, so it's a similar stripping motion.
If stripping in a spunky fish that requires big strips, I just dump it over the side.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
What about tangling underneath the kayak, in the fins/prop?
At least with the Mirage drive, you pretty much have to run directly over your line to do that. I have, of course, and all you have to do is pull the drive up and usually the line slides right off the fins.

The only problematic tangle I encounter is actually hooking either one of the pull handle cords at bow/stern, or the rudder.
Gotta break off or pedal over to somebody else and ask for a hand!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
@Zak
Hey, once your lake is open, let's fish it! I'll retrieve my 2wt and you can try out the Hobie if you like

Reactions: Zak

Chadk

Life of the Party
I don't use a basket. Have considered a towel or something to cover the pedals, but so far I do pretty well just being careful where I lay the line.

Kado

Steelhead
If standing, I'll use a flexible stripping basket. When sitting, I've been told that throwing a wet towel over the pedals (so it won't blow off), will work well but I haven't had to do this yet as I'll usually just pool then line between my legs or over the side if a lot of wind.
I've had the line get caught around the fins when I wasn't paying attention to my drift (I fish the sound a lot with tide and wind issues), but can slowly pull the drive up and the line usually just slips off. Once I did have to spend a little time untangling it, but then just popped the drive back in.
As @Northern mentioned, getting my fly caught on the forward pull cord is a pain. I'd like to change that braided rope to a smooth cable of some sort....