NFR David Suzuki

Non-fishing related

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
A great spokesman of science

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I enjoyed the program when I could see it. I went on a kayak trip in 2003 I think. Before the trip we paddled around the bay in front of his house. Then we went to desolation sound for a week. When we got back, the story was that a pod of transient Orcas herded a pod of dolphins into that same bay and a bloodbath ensued. I felt fortunate, I think, that I wasn't sitting in a skinny boat in that bay with all that going on. I kind of wondered if Mr. Suzuki got any of it on film.
The CBC is a strange organization, with programming that really should be shared with the world, it is really tough to access it outside Canada.

Jonnytutu

Steelhead
I enjoyed the program when I could see it. I went on a kayak trip in 2003 I think. Before the trip we paddled around the bay in front of his house. Then we went to desolation sound for a week. When we got back, the story was that a pod of transient Orcas herded a pod of dolphins into that same bay and a bloodbath ensued. I felt fortunate, I think, that I wasn't sitting in a skinny boat in that bay with all that going on. I kind of wondered if Mr. Suzuki got any of it on film.
The CBC is a strange organization, with programming that really should be shared with the world, it is really tough to access it outside Canada.
Just download the CBC app on your phone.

Fin

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
I was actually in Dr. Suzuki's drosophila lab at UBC as an undergrad (many decades ago), worked pushing and counting flies about and cooking the malt fly food as a work-study program; he was never there by then, but it was still his lab. Did meet him, very interesting fellow.

cheers

Otter

Steelhead
Yes it is. When I try to access it I am informed that because my IP address is outside Canada the content is unavailable to me. Maybe if I lived in Bellingham...
That's weird. I don't understand that tech stuff, so I don't know what to suggest. I'm in B.C., and I regularly connect to broadcast networks all over the world, and I don't ever recall getting a message like that. Maybe CBC, being publically funded, has some sort of strange setup, due to its relationship to our dysfunctional federal government. I wonder if you also get denied if you've tried connecting to privately owned Canadian broadcast companies, such as CTV or Global?
http://www.ctvnews.ca/
https://globalnews.ca/canada/

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I've never understood why we in Spokane can't get CBC.

Mr. Suzuki was always entertaining, not always right, sometimes a bit alarmist, but generally pretty close to the mark (when I've seen him.) But gone now after 43 years...I hope he has a great retirement.

What's next, Don Cherry's tailor retires????

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Seek ye a VPN and enter the .ca portal into Dr. Suzuki's mind treasury.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That's weird. I don't understand that tech stuff, so I don't know what to suggest. I'm in B.C., and I regularly connect to broadcast networks all over the world, and I don't ever recall getting a message like that. Maybe CBC, being publically funded, has some sort of strange setup, due to its relationship to our dysfunctional federal government. I wonder if you also get denied if you've tried connecting to privately owned Canadian broadcast companies, such as CTV or Global?
http://www.ctvnews.ca/
https://globalnews.ca/canada/
Both of those work.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Seek ye a VPN and enter the .ca portal into Dr. Suzuki's mind treasury.
I may not be savvy enough about such things. I would think the VPN would also have to be Canadian in order to get past the block.

The information on CBC's website repeatedly says that the programming is available free across Canada, and nowhere does it provide for those outside Canada to access it. I find it hard to accept that no one in the organization has recognized that they could ask for a reasonable subscription fee, and raise revenue for better programming. They do sell the content to networks on this side of the border, why not allow individuals to take a look?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
You can subscribe to their youtube cbc documentary channel and access the episodes.
Amazon Prime has it also I guess.