CXI Fishing Report (Jan 2024)

Like for many other fly anglers, my long delayed Christmas Island fishing trip finally happened this month. I've fished CXI five times previously (Jan 2016 - Jan 2020), but this time I was joined by my older brother. The island was very similar to my last trip in early 2020, but changes are happening. 8,000 - 9,000 residents now live there. More cargo is reaching the island, with newly built trading stores selling goods. Electrical lines were installed from the airport to London back in 2017-2018, and now I can even get phone service without swapping SIM cards. The dreaded smart phones are common on the island, even under the most dilapidated maneabas. Harvesting of pelagic fish seems to have ramped up since the new government opened the Phoenix Island Protected Area to fishing. Even so, the lagoon and roughed outer beaches are still beautiful and have excellent populations of bonefish, triggerfish, and small trevally species.

We spent the vast majority of our fishing time targeting bonefish on various lagoon flats. I was impressed with the larger average size of the bonefish on CXI (compared to a few years ago) and their abundance. My big brother did great catching bonefish on a fly rod for the first time, including some legit 7-8 pounders.
P1172055.JPG
P1111969b.JPG
P1182063.JPG
P1202142.JPG
P1182064.JPG
P1192110.JPG
P1182067.JPG
P1091926.JPG

Fishing for large Yellowmargin and Titan triggerfish was excellent, especially on the half moon tides. Getting them to follow and tail on the fly was not too hard, but hooking them and especially landing them is tricky. I caught my first ever Picasso Triggerfish on this trip as well. Several times I thought I had hooked up a triggerfish only to land a nice bonefish or bluefin trevally that stole the fly. In my opinion, CXI has the best flats triggerfish fly fishing anywhere in the world.
P1172044.JPG
P1132018.JPG

The lagoon fishing for the big GT was very slow during my visit. I didn't see them in the backcountry preserve at all. We did spot a few in the channel systems of the Y-site area though. I had one big GT blow up behind my fly as I stripped it over a deep channel onto a shallow flat, but it spotted me a the last second and didn't eat. Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to fish the ocean side of Paris or Korean Wreck where the big wild GT prowl. However, I did catch a very nice Bluefin Trevally and a stout Brassy Trevally on my 9 weight bonefish rod. Small GT also ate fast stripped bonefish or brush flies.
P1121983b.JPG
P1121998.JPG
Bluefin trevally
P1182091.JPG
Brassy Trevally
P1212176.JPG
P1121977b.JPG
Small GT

We weren't afraid to cast to the other fish species in the lagoon either. We tossed flies at Blacktip shark, Barracuda, Puffers, Snappers, Ladyfish, etc. to keep ourselves entertained. I even caught an immature lagoon Milkfish on a bonefish fly at Pipeline flat.
P1182081.JPG
Baby Milkfish that I thought was a bonefish until it began jumping out of the water.
P1162035.JPG
Blacktip shark ate a small Clouser
P1192129.JPG
Barracuda
P1172043.JPG
Pufferfish (aka - fly destroyers)
P1192139.JPG
Hawaiian Ladyfish

We were not able to fish the blue water or the outer coral reef beach areas due to adverse weather and issues with boat/truck break downs. Regardless, it was a very enjoyable trip with good fishing everyday. El nino often generates thick clouds and rain on CXI, but we were able to fish through the low light and heavy winds. As always the fishing guides of Christmas Island Outfitters were great at putting us on the fish. Our hosts at the Sunset Horizon Lodge were excellent, and we lacked for nothing. A special thanks to the wonderful people of Christmas Island for welcoming us to their magnificent atoll and sharing its natural treasures.

Thanks for reading.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
That first bluefin is a stud of a fish and that peach face ain’t half bad either…. Looks like you had a great time, thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Killer TR, thank you, Dime! Cool that you got to do this with your brother. Bluefin trevally are just gorgeous fish to my eye. Bonefish are fun as heck to fish for, but the individual fish are kinda cookie cutters--maybe we are lucky that a lot of our species around here have a lot of variation from fish to fish, makes 'em more interesting to look at. The brassy trevally and the small GT look awfully similar; how do you know the difference?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Killer TR, thank you, Dime! Cool that you got to do this with your brother. Bluefin trevally are just gorgeous fish to my eye. Bonefish are fun as heck to fish for, but the individual fish are kinda cookie cutters--maybe we are lucky that a lot of our species around here have a lot of variation from fish to fish, makes 'em more interesting to look at. The brassy trevally and the small GT look awfully similar; how do you know the difference?
The Brassy Trevally don't have a black spot above the pectoral fin like the Giant Trevally. They also have a lower profile head and lemon yellow color on the lower tail and anal fin. The Brassies show up in the CXI lagoon during El nino years for some reason.

I've come to appreciate the subtle differences in bonefish at different flats locations. Some have pronounced stripes and dark green backs. Others have a pale sand color and very faint stripes. These become nearly invisible on overcast days with flat light, a great challenge.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Great report @DimeBrite - thanks! That little triggerfish is adorable 😍
Hey, when I was there in '18, the guides were adamant that we not cast to puffers, but wouldn't really say why. Do you know?

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Great report @DimeBrite - thanks! That little triggerfish is adorable 😍
Hey, when I was there in '18, the guides were adamant that we not cast to puffers, but wouldn't really say why. Do you know?
Yeah, they don't want you casting to puffers because they trash your fly with their sharp beak. I was feeding a triggerfish when that puffer ate the crab fly. If I'm bored and have a worn out fly on I will cast to a big puffer. :ROFLMAO:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Now that is bored, really bored.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Thanks for report and photos! Hoping to go in 2025. Do you have a time of the year you think is best or just whenever you can go?
Most Americans go in late December through early May. Australians and New Zealanders go during our summer months. It is near the equator, so the fishing is steady month to month. Pick your week(s) based on the tides, moon phase. Full or new moon for post spawn ocean bonefish, adult milkfish, and trevally fishing. Half moon neap tides for steady bonefish and triggerfish action. Weather is much nicer during La Nina and neutral years (El nino brings steady clouds, wind, and rain). I've heard that bluewater trolling is better in April-May time frame.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about CXI.

Last edited:
Most Americans go in late December through early May. Australians and New Zealanders go during our summer months. It is near the equator, so the fishing is steady month to month. Pick your week(s) based on the tides, moon phase. Full or new moon for post spawn ocean bonefish, adult milkfish, and trevally fishing. Half moon neap tides for steady bonefish and triggerfish action. Weather is much nicer during La Nina and neutral years (El nino brings steady clouds, wind, and rain). I've heard that bluewater trolling is better in April-May time frame.
Thanks super helpful!

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Great post and pics! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy reading your fishing exploits. And a big (y) for your offer to answer any questions about CXI.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Wow Tim, what an adventure that must have been. Thanks for sharing your trip and knowledge of the fishery with us.