Cuba Jan 7-15, 2022

What makes “The Best Fishing Trip Ever?”

B41CA1F2-408A-4A31-86FF-DD85A75D4417.jpegIn a word: Cuba.
We fished the Ciénaga de Zapata National Park and La Salina Refuge and the Rio Hatiguanico In Cuba out of Playa Larga on the Bay of Pigs. I hosted nine flyfishers that became good friends with our guides and warm gracious hosts at Casa Frank in Playa Larga. We took dinner at a different Casa every night and in the fishing village where we had fresh fish - shrimp, snapper, octopus, lobster every night. Always fresh and always filling. Fresh fruit for breakfast - it’s the tropics, folks. Mango, papaya, guava, banana, plantain, and pineapple. Mojitos and beer on the deck apre’ fishing with an outrageous pick-up soccer game played across the street by teenage boys busting out their moves. Fishing was better than I could ever have imagined. Big adult tarpon were caught in the main river. Baby tarpon too numerous to count in the tribs - they could be everywhere all at once. Catching them was like being in an alley fight. Large bonefish and more baby tarpon were out on the flats. Permit did their usual hide and seek. Snook, snapper, jacks and cuda also made their way into the catch count.
There were nine happy exhausted flyfishers that boarded our taxis to the airport yesterday morning for sure.

A special thank you to Jon Covich of Cuba Fishing Outfitters who set this trip up for me.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Sounds awesome. That's a great photo.
Nice you got to meet some of the local folks for dinner.