Could you live full time in your camper?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I dunno, we might have to. Our first meeting with the county permit dept didn't go well. Plot plan doesn't meet setbacks due to (of all things) an easement for a defunct boat launch road. I was pretty bummed until last night, when we met our neighbors on the adjacent property that the easement also crosses -and who also want it vacated. Super-nice, professional-grade neighbors with a well-researched war plan.

Prior to that I was semi-seriously looking into yurts and other "temporary" dwelling options. Haven't had the stones to share that with the wifey yet. 😬 "Honey, how do you feel about ... living in a van, down by the RIVER?"

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Being on the water > Being on land

For me, it's as simple as that

Man, personally I'd be right there with the exception of my love for my dog/having a dog part of the family. Tough to do on a boat. But, tiny house or RV? I'd be down. Then again, wifey and kiddo might not agree, but I know I could do it rather easily.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Man, personally I'd be right there with the exception of my love for my dog/having a dog part of the family. Tough to do on a boat. But, tiny house or RV? I'd be down. Then again, wifey and kiddo might not agree, but I know I could do it rather easily.

Yeah I can understand that. I unfortunately do not have a dog, as much as I'd love a four legged fishing buddy.

The simplicity of camper life would be just fine with me. I'm a simple man, I dont need much. But I need to be on the water, so I'd need a boat anyway, and that would majorly complicate an RV lifestyle.

My entire life I've dreamed of just living on a boat. I think I could sell my wife on it as long as it was a big enough boat. Of course I couldn't afford that anyway.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Not sure I'd do full time but once the kids are gone I'd love to downsize our house and spend more time in the camper. I've met tons of folks in camp that do this and it seems like a great lifestyle. Posted up on the river for weeks and weeks at a time?

Yeah, sign me up.
I just spent an impromptu 6 weeks sleeping (and sometimes cooking and bathing) in my Honda Element with about 2 sq ft of open floor space. It was more cramped than normal as I had my 11’ cat tubes and all my Smith River gear crammed inside but I made it work. Even after 6 weeks, I wasn’t ready to come home. Swimmy, your trailer would be palatial in comparison and so yes, I could easily full time, especially in something more spacious than my Element!

942B764F-95A1-4E91-BB49-7143D4A28B4E.jpeg 65476FD0-EE8D-4BFC-AF9E-F3B8F8FA9107.jpeg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Yeah I can understand that. I unfortunately do not have a dog, as much as I'd love a four legged fishing buddy.

The simplicity of camper life would be just fine with me. I'm a simple man, I dont need much. But I need to be on the water, so I'd need a boat anyway, and that would majorly complicate an RV lifestyle.

My entire life I've dreamed of just living on a boat. I think I could sell my wife on it as long as it was a big enough boat. Of course I couldn't afford that anyway.

Here you go Nick! :)
SF

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I've done it a few times in my life. I've lived in a small camp trailer for a few months in my early 20s before i married my ex (i should've stayed in the trailer 😆) Lived in a 9' truck camper for 6 months when I was 19. And in my late 20s I lived in my other camp trailer for a few months when they had to do a big repair on my house. That little trailer was cramped with 2 kids and a lab.

I didn't mind it all. If it wasn't for the farm animals I would sell house, custom build a camper for my truck, and live in it full time. I could easily downsize and rent a storage unit for rest of stuff.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am like Salmo_g, i need my garage and space. I have too many other hobbies to live in any size trailer.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Yeah, no prob for me. Hell, it would probably do me good. Might find out since camping as everyday life is literally looming as remote possibility.

Fortunately our last kiddo is nearly an adult. Dogs will love having space to run. Wifey... never been a camper but she does love the outdoors so long as she can stay clean and comfortable. I'm fairly confident we'll be able to build, just maybe not the house we wanted. Hopefully I won't have to do the RV/Yurt/Cabin sales pitch. If I do, I'll lead it with the "van down by the river" comment since she's a huge Chris Farley fan.

Last edited:

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Could I?
In a small camper? No way.

We've been kicking around a Class A (formerly had a Class C. ) and hitting the road full time with a toad. We've also thought about maintaining a smaller home base in the southwest.

As far as downsizing, we've downsized, then upsized, then downsized two more times. I think when married for many years, it takes a while to sort down one's possessions, pause for a while, then sort down some more to get to a point where the materialistic separation anxiety fades and you can pitch the rest without batting an eye.

We know people, including a few neighbors who've cashed in and gone fulltime RV'ing, one's moved to Mexico and travels back to the U.S. when the mood strikes.
Mexico is also the landing spot for a few other retirees we know, who've made the move to homes in Mexico. Great for them, not so much for me.

Another option that gets overlooked sometimes by anglers is buying a single or double wide in an upscale 55 plus community near a favored fishing destination, where those units are owned mostly by traveling empty nesters. It's a fairly common practice in areas where real-estate prices exclude most from buying a vacation property. In northern CA, you'll find a good number of fly fishers who do this. Mama doesn't have to give up her collection of commemorative porcelain plates, all the while, being able to brag to the girls at the salon about her summer home.

If we do the Class A thing, you'll likely find us in the Pheonix area every year, pulling in just in time for the cactus league.

Last edited:

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I cringe when i see a cabinet with a collection of commemorative plates.
Usually the house has a musty smell too.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I personally lived in a 32 foot Jayco for some time. Campers in my opinion are not designed for that kind of use. That camper absolutely fell apart from the inside out. However, that was a long time ago and perhaps things have changed. Jayco may have just been a piece of shit company then too not sure. Either way i probably wont remember even typing this shit.

Reactions: BCO

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I usually go for two weeks at a time to may favorite spot living in my travel trailer. Way down forest service roads, few others, no cell service or internet. I love it but am always ready to get back to civilization at the end of each trip.

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
It has been discussed around our house for years. I, the “fun hater” usually get blamed for some sort of reality check thrown in with a few untimely key facts. Often the key one being, we have three growing children. If I were to succumb to the wild idea, it would be boondocking or parked on a parcel far from…everything. Not a lot lizard.

This was a terrific pipe dream, until the other weekend. We had a fuel line bust on injector 1, sending fuel out of the pump and all over the engine bay at 30k PSI. This earned me the pleasure of riding from Pendleton to Spokane on a school bus bench seat in a tow truck. Meanwhile my wife found an angel in an Uber driver who drove her and our 3 children home. Dale, the tow truck driver had endless stories, thoughts, opinions and 50+ years of experience. The guy had a clue, he owns the company, has a fleet, team and yard. I was just thankful he was willing to take the haul on a Sunday in July because things were not looking so wonderful on Saturday. We discussed everything from children to traveling and of course all he shared his thoughts on the best and worst motors, manufacturers as well as his thoughts of full timers. He was a die hard, you need to have a home base because you never know how long your rig will be down. After making it to Cummin NW and getting unloaded I met Terry in the parking lot as I was filling out my info at the after hour drop box. Terry lives full time in his RV and had been stranded in the parking lot for 2 weeks as a rock hit his radiator fan 6 miles from the service center. Prior to departing I asked Terry if there was anything I could bring him when I returned as I had a feeling he might be there when I returned. He told me he was good and had everything he needed. Eight days later, this past Monday I picked up our rig and saw that Terrys coach was still there. It was open, so I headed over. He stepped out briefly as he was on the phone and told me “they told me another week.” As much as I enjoy truck stops and diesel shops, I am now 100% team Dale and more importantly, my wife is too.

Last edited: