SBS Clarkman's Trash Panda Baitfish version 3.2 (ish)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
streamer hook of choice. I really like these for this particular pattern. Edit: it should be noted that I glue in between several steps to give it more durability. Yesterdays first fly landed over 30 fish before it started to fall apart. I could still fish it now even if I wanted to....but I swapped it out though just for something a little more full-bodied.

puNh641.jpg

I like the 140 for lighter bucktail work and I have a lot of it, so just used it for this....works great. I use 210 for most of my tiger musky stuff.

Nec1LEe.jpg

small clump of trash panda (Finn Raccoon for the discerning types). leave guard hairs in. I like the stuff from the strips rather than patches as there seems to be more guard hairs. I also tie this exact same fly with craft fur here. Both work fine, but I feel that these kick a little bit better while the craft fur may be a little easier to cast (should be a non-issue because targeting the larger Big C or Willy Smallies, you should be throwing a 7 or 8wt anyway).

2lyozwH.jpg

eyes or no eyes...I don't think it matters, but it might. I caught tons of fish on the OG version of this fly with no eyes. I prefer plastic dumbell eyes. I just used a copic marker to add pupils.

3pTCUFX.jpg

estaz or similar

VqF0t1A.jpg

6Y35VNe.jpg

flashbou brush...tease it out

QzfxPuG.jpg

UfkhMED.jpg

blue pearl flashbou (3-4 long strands folded in half)

dKMkkGB.jpg

e3D3ccD.jpg

3" EP brush. I like the white with black tips as it gives the overall pattern more depth (to my eye), but fish probably don't care. 2 wraps behind the eyes, then just fill up to the eye of the hook. You've gotta tease this stuff out every couple of wraps.

5xAejk1.jpg

zJaJo9N.jpg

gills, and done.

5khpeLr.jpg

7geUara.jpg

🍻

Disclaimer: Just in case someone sees this and thinks that it's THEIR pattern that they're making money off of and I'm infringing on your "copyright", just know this: I don't give a fuck. nothing at this point is all that original....:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
This is great.

Can I ask a dumb question? Every time see you talking about Trash Panda, I google that material and can't find it. Racoon? I don't see a ton of racoon materials either?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
[Finn] raccoon.

it comes in patches and zonker strips. I like the zonker strips as it always seems a little longer and more guard hairs.

craft fur works great too....but I think the trash panda name is funny.

Last edited:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
streamer hook of choice. I really like these for this particular pattern. Edit: it should be noted that I glue in between several steps to give it more durability. Yesterdays first fly landed over 30 fish before it started to fall apart. I could still fish it now even if I wanted to....but I swapped it out though just for something a little more full-bodied.

puNh641.jpg

I like the 140 for lighter bucktail work and I have a lot of it, so just used it for this....works great. I use 210 for most of my tiger musky stuff.

Nec1LEe.jpg

small clump of trash panda. leave guard hairs in. I like the stuff from the strips rather than patches as there seems to be more guard hairs. I also tie this exact same fly with craft fur here. Both work fine, but I feel that these kick a little bit better while the craft fur may be a little easier to cast (should be a non-issue because targeting the larger Big C or Willy Smallies, you should be throwing a 7 or 8wt anyway).

2lyozwH.jpg

eyes or no eyes...I don't think it matters, but it might. I caught tons of fish on the OG version of this fly with no eyes. I prefer plastic dumbell eyes. I just used a copic marker to add pupils.

3pTCUFX.jpg

estaz or similar

VqF0t1A.jpg

6Y35VNe.jpg

flashbou brush...tease it out

QzfxPuG.jpg

UfkhMED.jpg

blue pearl flashbou (3-4 long strands folded in half)

dKMkkGB.jpg

e3D3ccD.jpg

3" EP brush. I like the white with black tips as it gives the overall pattern more depth (to my eye), but fish probably don't care. 2 wraps behind the eyes, then just fill up to the eye of the hook. You've gotta tease this stuff out every couple of wraps.

5xAejk1.jpg

zJaJo9N.jpg

gills, and done.

5khpeLr.jpg

7geUara.jpg

🍻
Sweet, thank you!

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
raccoon.

it comes in patches and zonker strips. I like the zonker strips as it always seems a little longer and more guard hairs.

craft fur works great too....but I think the trash panda name is funny.
As much as I love that name...if you mean "Finn raccoon," it isn't actually a raccoon. It's a fox relative also known as a raccoon dog.
I have no idea if they have an affinity for trash cans

It does make great flies, though! Kind of translucent when wet, with really nice movement.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yes, finn raccoon. I should have been more specific. I have made the appropriate corrections as per the handbook.

I'm aware.

I'm keeping the name..

Last edited: