Christmas reel…..

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I have two Orvis II large arbor reels that I used on graphite rods, made in England that I bought when they first came out. I’ve always wanted their smallest size but switched to vintage reels. So lo and behold, this one appeared at Christmas time! Very light and classy on shorty Hotrodz! I loaded it with a Sylk line and went 3/5 yesterday sight casting midge emergers on a local lake!
IMG_3508.jpegIMG_3507.jpeg

Last edited:

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Oooooh - I always loved the look and feel of those. So light, and it looks awesome on that beautiful rod! Great reel.

A bigger version was one of my very first reels decades ago. I added a second frame and a bunch of spools I got for a steal on the 'bay, and use them to swap lines fast on my 8wts. Still going strong!
20210808_141332.jpg

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Nice collection! The only draw back to such a large arbor is you have to use your fingers like a level wind reel to keep the fly line from bunching up and stopping the retrieval. But only a minor inconvenience for an awesome reel!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
That is beautiful

BigSplashTom

Steelhead
I have two Orvis II large arbor reels that I used on graphite rods, made in England that I bought when they first came out. I’ve always wanted their smallest size but switched to vintage reels. So lo and behold, this one appeared at Christmas time! Very light and classy on shorty Hotrodz! I loaded it with a Sylk line and went 3/5 yesterday sight casting midge emergers on a local lake!
View attachment 97396View attachment 97397

OK, can I cast it if I offer extra crown on X local lake?
Wow, that looks really amazing.