Can I carry on 1/0 hooks?

doughboy

Just Hatched
Have a business trip coming up but also need to tie for a saltwater trip. TSA says small flies/hooks are ok as carry on and then says deep water hooks need to be packed in checked bags.

What about hooks like Gamakastu SC 15 size 1/0 and smaller?
Thanks in advance.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed

doughboy

Just Hatched
Thanks for sending that thread along.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I regularly carry 4 boxes like this down to Florida in my carry on flying on Delta. Plenty of 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. 5C1C5926-18C4-4585-BF4B-4C48795A3FA7.jpegNever had an issue. Only once did an airport security check refuse my flies—Melbourne to Tasmania, despite the fact I’d carried them on from LAX to Sydney to Adelaide to Melbourne. Leaving Tassie-No issues.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I regularly carry 4 boxes like this down to Florida in my carry on flying on Delta. Plenty of 1/0 and 2/0 hooks. View attachment 56122Never had an issue. Only once did an airport security check refuse my flies—Melbourne to Tasmania, despite the fact I’d carried them on from LAX to Sydney to Adelaide to Melbourne. Leaving Tassie-No issues.
how fortuitous....I'll be following this thread along since in June when travelling to Baja, I'll have a fair number of 1/0-4/0 sized flies.

ABITNF

Steelhead
5 of us flew to Cancun all carrying flies and rods as carry-on in various rod luggage like Fishpond Dakota, etc. No problem other than some young fellow advised me I had to check the bag. Two of my companions were at other agents nearby and when we explained that everyone else had their's approved he relented. Had 4 boxes of flats and Tarpon flies and didn't have any issue about pointed objects. But it only takes one person who takes the job seriously to ruin your day.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
how fortuitous....I'll be following this thread along since in June when travelling to Baja, I'll have a fair number of 1/0-4/0 sized flies.

I flew down there with big flies and a vice. On the way down I was questioned about my carry on as they saw the fly boxes on the X ray. They looked at a few of the flies and I told them, "if I can't fly to Baja with these then the Taliban has simply won period, mission accomplished on their part." The TSA agents agreed and sent me on my way. All very friendly and cordial in the exchange.

On the return trip my vice and pedestal caught attention. I explained it's use and was looked at with surprising suspicion. The pedestal seemed to be of most interest. I imagine it could be disguised to look like any number of things I suppose. Again I was sent on my way back home once I demonstrated its use and explained why I had such an item. No troubles and cordial as before.

doughboy

Just Hatched
Part 1. I went through SEA this AM with a dozen 2/0 and 1/0 SC15 hooks and some smaller hooks. My old vise and stuff to tie some saltwater patterns. Stuff went through without an issue/comment. I did travel last week with my Dyna-King in my carry on. (Hooks and scissors were in checked bag) They did take out the vise and pedestal. TSA person was very nice. I'll see if they have comment or other reaction on my return out of DCA.

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
En route to NZ we had an overnight layover in Tahiti. Getting back into the airport the Tahitian security took my flies (for trout, the biggest was probably a 2 or 4) and my two rods that were in a single cordura tube. 3 tacky boxes full of flies.

They refused to look at my phone when I showed them the rules I had read. Told me to chat with the airline folks. Waited for a nervy 30 mins until one finally appeared shortly before boarding. Went back to security with the customer service lady. They hardly exchanged a word and I had my shit back.