Braided Backing Loop to Loop Q

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I've ordered some 60 lbs. Momoi Diamond Braid hollow core line to load on a 9wt and 11wt reel. Diameter of the braid is .014 in. Will create a double blind splice to form the loop. My question: should I be worried this about the braid cutting into the factory loops on the lines? Thanks.

Last edited:

G_Smolt

Legend
I've ordered some 60 lbs. Momoi Diamond Braid hollow core line to load on a 9wt and 11wt reel. Diameter of the braid is .014 in. Will create a double blind splice to form the loop. My question: should I be worried this about the braid cutting into the factory loops on the lines? Thanks.
With that diameter-to-test ratio, I suspect you are referring to spectra. I would be wary of "finger trap" or hollow splices, as the material is notoriously slippery when compared to other hollow-braid materials in which most splicing methods were codified.

I have had good luck for the past 15 or so years using spectra (50#, 65#, and 80#) as backing with a 20-25 turn bimini twist loop with a touch of cyanoacrylate glue on the end of the tag knot for insurance.

To answer your original question, I'll parrot @the_chemist above with one caveat, so...No, you probably don't need to worry about the spectra cutting into the loop material.

Will it, under the right (read:wrong) conditions? Yes.
Will that affect the functionality of the flyline? Probably not, unless water exposure is continuous, repeated, and sustained - then you might see the long-term effects of water infiltration on the core, which could include delamination of the welded loop.

Based on my experiences, you would need to have a cut, wet line more than 150 days/year for any issues to arise, so...

No, you shouldn't worry.