Boat title and value help - 1982 Clackacraft

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I need to find a boat shop in the greater Seattle/Everett area (hopefully) who can help me get an appraised value for a 1982 Clackacraft. I would like to get my boat titled and in Washington state I need a declared value to do that. It needs to match Kelly Blue Book, and they only go back to the year 2000. According to the DOL I need to get a declared value on a boat shops letterhead saying how much its worth. Does anyone know of a shop off the top to their head would/could assist with this?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Maybe Three Rivers in Woodinville or possibly Wooldridge is South Seattle could do that for you?
Might be worth a call.
SF

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good call. I didn't think of Three rivers. I was going to call Clack in the morning when they opened too.

headduck

Steelhead
If you recently purchased, maybe you can use an affidavit of stated value/purchase price from prev owner.

I know the clacks are nice, but seems like a lot of effort to establish value of an older drifter. All they really want is your tax dollars right..?

Could also find a dol that cares less... white center maybe...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Suggest sending Clack an email with a pic, explain the situation, ask them to send you an email with a ball park value, bring the email reply in and explain Clack built the boat, do not provide letterhead statements, so the email will have to do.

Irish11

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was unsure about it. I am debating selling in this Spring (looking at a possible upgrade to a 2000's model, I would like the storage, walk around front seat, and rear casting brace after a year of owning one without those features) and figured it would sell better with a Washington title. The trailer is registered here now (originally an Oregon boat) so in two more years myself or the next owner can title that at least.

I think its a good point that I don't need to do it to own it since its under 16' and has no motor. No need to pay taxes and fees if I don't have to.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
that reminded me that when I bought my mid 80's High Side from a guy in WA, the trailer was registered, not the boat, opposite of here in OR.
If you are thinking of buying a newer Clack...sold my High Side for a 2005 standard model, which was a more maneuverable boat.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was unsure about it. I am debating selling in this Spring (looking at a possible upgrade to a 2000's model, I would like the storage, walk around front seat, and rear casting brace after a year of owning one without those features) and figured it would sell better with a Washington title. The trailer is registered here now (originally an Oregon boat) so in two more years myself or the next owner can title that at least.

I think its a good point that I don't need to do it to own it since its under 16' and has no motor. No need to pay taxes and fees if I don't have to.
Shoot me a DM if you are interested in selling

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I went thru this with a 10' Spring Creek pram that I wanted to license for use on some Federal waters.
What a PIA! I finally did what was suggested and went to another agency...still a PIA but they accepted some 'sold' examples that I had found via the internet.
In retrospect, it probably would have been less of a hassle to get and pay for a citation every now and then.:ROFLMAO:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Boats that are strictly human powered, regardless of length, are exempt. RCW 88.02.570 exeption (9).

“(9) A vessel with no propulsion machinery of any type for which the primary mode of propulsion is human power;”

If you do put a motor on it, like I have occasionally done on my 18’ canoe, you have 15 days to register it.

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, here we are in the 'same boat' as @Irish11 .
My brother in law bought a 1985 12' Valco and trailer yesterday and wants to license it so he has the option to use it on Federal waters. We talked to a licensing agent and they said it needed to be appraised. I asked where one might get such an appraisal and her response was that she didn't know.:rolleyes: I searched and found a valuation from J.D. Power but I don't know if that's going to fly withe the DMV agent or not.:unsure:
I also found a WA Declaration Of Value form so we will get the seller to sign that before trying again.
Sure is a PIA for a 1000$ boat, motor, and trailer that needs a friend.

FYI
Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Washington, you must have a Washington title, current registration certificate, and current registration decals to operate or moor a vessel. Exceptions to registration and titling are:

• Vessels that are not propelled by a motor (canoes, kayaks, etc.) and sailboats under 16 feet in length without a motor.
  • Vessels that are less than 16 feet in length and have a motor of 10 horsepower or less and are used on non-federal waters only. All motorboats of any size or horsepower that are used on waters under federal jurisdiction must be registered.
  • Properly registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country that use Washington waters for 60 days or less.

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, here we are in the 'same boat' as @Irish11 .
My brother in law bought a 1985 12' Valco and trailer yesterday and wants to license it so he has the option to use it on Federal waters. We talked to a licensing agent and they said it needed to be appraised. I asked where one might get such an appraisal and her response was that she didn't know.:rolleyes: I searched and found a valuation from J.D. Power but I don't know if that's going to fly withe the DMV agent or not.:unsure:
I also found a WA Declaration Of Value form so we will get the seller to sign that before trying again.
Sure is a PIA for a 1000$ boat, motor, and trailer that needs a friend.

FYI
Requirements for vessel registration vary from state to state. In Washington, you must have a Washington title, current registration certificate, and current registration decals to operate or moor a vessel. Exceptions to registration and titling are:

• Vessels that are not propelled by a motor (canoes, kayaks, etc.) and sailboats under 16 feet in length without a motor.
  • Vessels that are less than 16 feet in length and have a motor of 10 horsepower or less and are used on non-federal waters only. All motorboats of any size or horsepower that are used on waters under federal jurisdiction must be registered.
  • Properly registered vessels owned by residents of another state or country that use Washington waters for 60 days or less.
Well, lucky us.
We must have softened up the lady at the licensing agency as she was really helpful on our second visit.
Everything is now transferred and good to go.