Boat Rods

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
A question for you salty sailors, fly fishing out of boats. What length and weight fly rods do you prefere for both trout and larger fish? Do you typically take more than one out when you go? Are you interested in glass rods or graphite only?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
9 footers. Anything from 5-8 has you covered. If you targeting bigger fish then you might have to step up a bit but for most part your okay.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
When I had my boat on the Sound I used my Sharpes Scottie “88” (8’8”). A solid 6wt impregnated bamboo rod. Great for Cutthroat, rezzie Coho, and Pinks with an occasional sculpin thrown in for good measure.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I really haven’t found that much has mattered as far as the rod, I’ve found that the line matters more. But I’m referring to fishing for coho out of area 10 or 9.

Chris Bellows

Steelhead
As others have said, a 9 foot rod is as long as you want to go imo. The material is immaterial as get what you like flex and budget wise. I would always take two rigged rods so I would have a floater rigged with a popper and a rod rigged to fish deeper. Time spent switching lines and or shooting heads is less time fishing during what could be a short lived bite.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I use multiple rods in the boat,... 9' to 9'5"

If you're going to regularly fish the salt either out of the boat or on shore, I would purchase a rod with corrosion resistant materials. To me that's more important that length or material of the blank.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
The reason I'm asking these questions is, I'm a hobbyist rodbuilder. I build for something to do in the Winter months. I do sell a few but for only the material cost to keep it fun. I think I made a grand total of $50 after three sales last year. If I tried to charge for the labor involved,, they'd be unaffordable. Building them is satisfying but trying to sell them really sucks. Anyway I regress. I'm wanting to buy some NFC Iconoglass blanks this year and wondered if it should be 6,8,or 10 weights. Because of the superior lifting ability of these glass rods, I really consider them boat rods. Hence the questions.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The reason I'm asking these questions is, I'm a hobbyist rodbuilder. I build for something to do in the Winter months. I do sell a few but for only the material cost to keep it fun. I think I made a grand total of $50 after three sales last year. If I tried to charge for the labor involved,, they'd be unaffordable. Building them is satisfying but trying to sell them really sucks. Anyway I regress. I'm wanting to buy some NFC Iconoglass blanks this year and wondered if it should be 6,8,or 10 weights. Because of the superior lifting ability of these glass rods, I really consider them boat rods. Hence the questions.

Not sure I'd call it a "market" but tuna might where there's a need for shorter, tougher rods. That was the idea when @veilside180sx built me a tuna boat rod on a Lami 7' hybrid graphite/glass blank normally used as a plug trolling rod. It's basically a slingshot for short/heavy heads and works great for that. So far I haven't broken it!

Not sure I'd call it a "market" but tuna might where there's a need for shorter, tougher rods. That was the idea when @veilside180sx built me a tuna boat rod on a Lami 7' hybrid graphite/glass blank normally used as a plug trolling rod. It's basically a slingshot for short/heavy heads and works great for that. So far I haven't broken it!

With your high sticking…that’s a pretty amazing feat. Lol

The Iconoglass blanks are great for the $. I wouldn't limit them to boat rods though.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
With your high sticking…that’s a pretty amazing feat. Lol

The Iconoglass blanks are great for the $. I wouldn't limit them to boat rods though.

Yeah, well, l have you know my high-sticking (and that rod) is marginally, and very temporarily famous, on a localized regional basis ;) .
I knew I was pushing the limits of that stick but had no idea how bad until I saw this pic. Love that rod, but if you built me another, I'd go with the next size up.

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah, well, l have you know my high-sticking (and that rod) is marginally, and very temporarily famous, on a localized regional basis ;) .
I knew I was pushing the limits of that stick but had no idea how bad until I saw this pic. Love that rod, but if you built me another, I'd go with the next size up.

You can also have him put a third handle up by the stripping guide.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Yeah one of my main reasons for not preferring fly rods for tuna on my boat is that I hate fighting them on the 9' rod. It just isn't that fun for me. If I had a 7-8' rod, I'd definitely enjoy it more.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
No. Fork Composites had a sale a couple weeks ago. Buy an Iconoglass blank and get a flor-grade cork grip and fighting butt for free, plus free shipping. I bought four. I'll keep busy this Winter..

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 12wt IG for tuna and tigers. I love my 10wt.

mems

Steelhead
If you would like a shorter, 8 foot boat rod see if you can find a TFO mini mag. We don’t make them any more but some fly shops might have them on sale. You might find one on E-bay. For tuna I would use the blue water series. They are 9 footers with fore grip but are designed for big fish.

Yeah one of my main reasons for not preferring fly rods for tuna on my boat is that I hate fighting them on the 9' rod. It just isn't that fun for me. If I had a 7-8' rod, I'd definitely enjoy it more.

I’m always looking for alternative blanks. So far the striper trolling blanks work decent, but i do want to find a possible graphite alternative.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m always looking for alternative blanks. So far the striper trolling blanks work decent, but i do want to find a possible graphite alternative.
I keep forgetting what the exact blank the rod you built is, but it's close to ideal for a tuna boat rod. Love the flexibility and toughness of glass for this fishery. It loads great when casting the heavy lines, and is (obviously) super forgiving in combat. If you find a similar blank that's 6" longer and with a bit more stiffness in the butt, let me know because I'll want one.

I keep forgetting what the exact blank the rod you built is, but it's close to ideal for a tuna boat rod. Love the flexibility and toughness of glass for this fishery. It loads great when casting the heavy lines, and is (obviously) super forgiving in combat. If you find a similar blank that's 6" longer and with a bit more stiffness in the butt, let me know because I'll want one.
This is the rod the blanks are from.

I wish the glass had just a smidge more tip. I have an NFC blank that’s a similar hybrid. The one I have is a little too heavy…I need to see if there is a model one step lighter.

That being said…the one were using now is extremely forgiving when it goes vertical…which is not something you can say of most 12 wts.

Attachments

• 4D27A096-F13B-4DED-8B59-F28F2E4CD946.png
    4D27A096-F13B-4DED-8B59-F28F2E4CD946.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 14