Bird or Bug ?

BCO

Steelhead
It was feeding on the petunias on the patio. First thought was a hummingbird but it was not making any noise, blow it up and it looks like it
has antennas. Not marked like any hummer I’ve seen in the Col. basin. What do you think?8064EF9B-7B88-4690-8481-0FAD3AF99FC0.jpeg

Attachments

• CE548B05-5722-4DD9-B1DB-3626D3359932.jpeg
    CE548B05-5722-4DD9-B1DB-3626D3359932.jpeg
    713.2 KB · Views: 5

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
They love petunias. Had them all over the neighborhood when I was a kid, in Utah. Always visiting the petunias at dusk...

BCO

Steelhead
Looks like a sphynx moth. Here's a slo-mo video of one that looks like the one you saw. A white lined sphynx, I believe.

I've seen them still, but never flying.

We are going with the sphinx moth, though the Hummingbird Hawk Moth sounds more ominous and intriguing.
Thanks for the quick response’s
They love petunias. Had them all over the neighborhood when I was a kid, in Utah. Always visiting the petunias at dusk...

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
It was feeding on the petunias on the patio. First thought was a hummingbird but it was not making any noise, blow it up and it looks like it
has antennas. Not marked like any hummer I’ve seen in the Col. basin. What do you think?View attachment 71841
Humming bird moth. We have lots of them here in Colorado.. check your plants, particularly tomatoes for their large green caterpillar they will destroy a tomatoes plant in a day or two..