Beginner trying to figure out rod positioning and other basics

johnnyboy

Steelhead
Although I have gear fished pretty much all my life, this summer is pretty much the first summer I've given fly fishing some of my effort. I've been mainly messing around with a 7'6" 4wt fishing dries on local Seattle area streams, with some beginners luck.

I just have a few questions about rod positioning as it's taking me a while to adjust to my fly rod.

1) What's the best way to set the hook on a fish? Do you try to lift the rod up as high as you can immediately after the rise?

2) What angle do you hold your rod when drifting your dry fly downstream? I have been experimenting with different ways, (for example like how you hold your rod fishing a bobber and jig).

3) Any other tips for a beginner to maximize their time on the water?

PXL_20230709_015739227.jpg

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Although I have gear fished pretty much all my life, this summer is pretty much the first summer I've given fly fishing some of my effort. I've been mainly messing around with a 7'6" 4wt fishing dries on local Seattle area streams, with some beginners luck.

I just have a few questions about rod positioning as it's taking me a while to adjust to my fly rod.

1) What's the best way to set the hook on a fish? Do you try to lift the rod up as high as you can immediately after the rise?

2) What angle do you hold your rod when drifting your dry fly downstream? I have been experimenting with different ways, (for example like how you hold your rod fishing a bobber and jig).

View attachment 72099

I try too set down stream and too the bank when fishing Wet and Dry with the rod tip. The difference could be only a quarter of an inch though.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

View attachment 72099
The less slack in the line between the rod tip and the fly, the less you have to do to set the hook.

When fishing a wet fly downstream so there is no Slack, the fish may hook themselves.

Slack management is huge, especially when your fly line crosses different current speeds. That's where mending and sometimes high sticking comes in.

Mending is making a "c" shape with the tip of the rod, to flip a section of floating line up or downstream. You can use it to control the drift of the fly or remove slack by making a straighter line to the fly.

I tend to keep my rod pointed towards the fly, rod near horizontal. But my rod moves around a lot, because it is a tool to manipulate the line. I'll reach it to the sky when I need to pick up a lot of line quickly to set the hook, usually because there was too much slack.

Tight lines!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
1) It depends. Sometimes you can't set the hook fast enough, and sometimes you have to let the fish take the dry fly down and count out "God save the Queen," and then set the hook. And sometimes an amount of time in between those two. Sometimes, usually when fishing wet flies or streamers, a strip strike works best. I've not used that for dry fly fishing. When I fish a dry like an Adams or an emerger, pausing between the rise and the strike usually works best for me. Last week while fishing salmon flies (large stone fly adult patterns), striking almost immediately when the fish rose resulted in the most hook ups. You may have to experiment.

2) It varies, depending on whether I'm wading or in a boat or whether I cast upstream, straight across stream, or downstream. I hold my rod in the fashion that seems to give the fly its best drift, mending line as needed.

3) Ah, this is the easy question. You maximize your time on the water by going out early and staying late and repeating that as often as you possibly can. If you meant to ask how to maximize the efficiency or effectiveness of your time on the water, well, that's quite a bit more complicated. In fact, some of that is classified, and you don't have sufficient clearance.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Finding a buddy who knows fly fishing is a huge help, even fishing with them once or twice.
They can critique and show.

My mends were too weak at times. My drifts not smooth. I don't think I would have learned like I did without a buddy who was a guide in the past showing me. Although I still suck, this is year 2.5 for me, still learning. Obviously not everyone has this resource though.
Make sure to keep your left hand with line in it in your "hip pocket", so with dry fly sets (where you have a little slack) you can really take up line fast.

Try to find water where people aren't. Which I'm sure is tough on that side of the state. I spend alot of time avoiding folks and hiking around if there are people around, taking time away from the water.
I like to fish in the rain, when it's cold, ect. When it's applicable. Keeps the crowds down.

When to set has a million variables, that comes with time and feel.
As stated, rod horizontal facing fly. Name of the game is first and foremost, proper drift. Then how can u take up all the line asap. A pointed up rod makes this hard.

A longer rod helps hook set also. If you stick with it, and if you are fishing more open water without trees and crap all over, maybe try a 9' rod at some point

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I "strip strike" in pretty much all situations except a downstream swing. That means I use my left hand to pull in 1-2ft of line and I use my right hand to raise the rod with the line going between my index finger and the rod. Pull the line and raise the rod, pinch the line when it gets tight. One more quick tug from the left hand and game on. Make sure your hooks are sharp, there is no need to make big bass style hooksets. Well, unless there are chicks around. Then give em hell.

When swinging a fly downstream of just hold on. When it comes tight, lean your rod towards the bank behind you. Again, sharp hooks sharp hooks. The tension of the line in the current will drive it home if you dont feed it slack.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Rod should be low at nearly all times unless you are leading the fly through a certain path.
Your questions make me suspect you're missing some strikes on dry flies. And your pic is of a cutthroat. Cutts are slower than rainbows. As @Salmo_g mentions, fish vary in their strikes, but as a general rule, cutts are just slower about it than rainbows. So if you're fishing water you know is mostly cutts, let them grab and turn before striking. This is a good rule for all trout, but rainbow are quick enough that your natural reaction will probably be about right with them. No intentional delay needed.

The dry fly strike should just be a quick raise of the arm with the off hand holding tight to the line. No whip back of the wrist like Bass masters. ;)

The wet/swung fly should just be a quick sweep to the near downstream bank and then be ready to reel or strip if the fish comes at you.

A stripped fly strike should be a strip set with a gentle raise or sweep and you'll want to fight them stripping unless they take all your line out of hand and get on the reel.

There is a lot of value watching people. If you see someone that is fishing more than casting and they are catching fish, watch them! Notice how they cast and how they actually fish. You have a leg up on most new fly fishers since you already know how to fish. Lots of fly fishers don't.

Welcome! You'll love it.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Thanks everyone for all the tips.

I've noticed I am progressively feeling more confident each time I pick up my rod and head to the river, so that's a plus. It's great doing something where you learn something new (and occasionally humbled haha) every time.
Been thinking about this more and some advice I gave my wife about casting and mending.

It has just as much to do with what you DONT allow the rod to do as it does what you ask the rod to do. What I mean is EVERY movement of the rod produces an effect on the fly, the slack, the connection to the fly, ability to set hook, etc.... especially in moving water.

The best advice is to be intention about how you hold your rod. Holding it low to the water produces the straightest, shortest connection to the fly, but also puts the maximum amount of line on the water, which is a disadvantage when fishing across a current.

Figure out what the situation requires from you, and then focus on only allowing the rod to do that. No bouncing, dropping, raising, etc without intent.

Marc Fryt

Smolt
To answer your second question about "What angle do you hold your rod when drifting your dry fly downstream," rather than thinking about the rod angle it helps to think about inducing slack into the fly line during the cast. This allows the dry fly to land with some slack so it can drift downstream without it immediately coming tight to the fly rod. A useful cast for this is the pile cast (aka parachute cast).

The rod angle can be anything from downstream to quartering downstream, all depends on where you anticipate a fish to be.

dirty dog

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have been fly fishing for many years and I'm still learning every time I go out.
I like to strip and lift to set the hook.
I keep my rod tip low and point the rod tip at the fly or inline with my line. Except when my line is crossing current that is moving faster than where my fly is drifting.
Lots of exceptions on line control.
Mending is an ever learning experience, practice, practice, practice.
So many things to learn, so many places to fish.
My favorite rod is a 7'6" 3 wt with a WFF line.
Love those little blue lines and a dry fly.