Bamboo in Iceland

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
IMG_0280.jpeg
Just got back from a week fishing for brown trout, sea trout and arctic char in Iceland. Stayed at a Heidarvatn fishing lodge which is 3 hours drive along the southern coast from Rekjavik and about a 10 minute walk from this...
788182DC-D406-436A-81C3-87F3D491AD0C_1_105_c.jpeg
Here's the gear room...
45EFD3E2-4939-4D2A-A951-43418C627EF8_1_105_c.jpeg
Heidarvatn is a large lake with waterfalls falling off the cliffs. The lodge controls the access.
C6B65852-B464-4618-9630-7DAD39A09A17_1_105_c.jpeg
It was a month too early for salmon so I fished a Wright and McGill 9' 6 weight and a Phillipson 9' 7 weight, floating lines and wet flies or streamers. We did best stripping flies over the dropoffs on the points created by inlet streams. This big brown took a size 10 Green Peter wet fly on a dropper...
0D262DA0-975B-4CCA-BEE4-3DD1E5E92FB1_1_105_c.jpeg
The artic char were fond of a size 10 Alexandra on the tail...
FCDB78A5-1D7B-4BDC-A5EA-75EF72A2A532_1_105_c.jpeg
And we caught sea trout to 5 pounds which fought the hardest of all. Was surprised at how many sea-trout were already in the lake. The bulk of the run comes in July and August along with the salmon.
65940250-3666-463C-92F2-8636F11B5CAD_1_105_c.jpeg
Here's a thunder creek minnow before and after an morning encounter with several sea trout...
1DE76393-E77E-4592-9812-6855D5A6EA54_1_105_c.jpeg
Easy to like this life. Breakfast at 9. Fish from 10 to 2. Lunch at 3 Fish from 4 to 8. Dinner at 9. We ate langoustine (small icelandic lobsters), lamb and char (grilled, baked, smoked or as a ceviche). I'd go to bed at midnight but the young turks would stay out fishing till 2am. It never really gets dark.
E37BBF1B-7C94-4C9D-B6DD-04921F0A5846.jpeg
Many of the Lake's browns drop down the River Vatnsa. I took a 4 pound brown at 11pm on the last night on a size 10 Mallard and Claret wet fly in the pool outside the lodge. Here's our best brown from the river (not mine).
E487BFF5-FDC6-4A9B-B4F7-622184CB1BBC.jpeg
I caught more than my share of fish on thunder creek minnows and classic size 10 wet flies like the Alexandra, Dunkeld, Mallard and Claret, Green Peter and Connemara Black.

D4F07492-8933-4BB9-A525-80514ABA4600_1_105_c.jpeg

The other guys did well with wooly buggers or zonkers. The biggest fish of the trip came to a white marabou streamer which looked a lot like a Delia's Squid.

You also need to be ready for wind (gusts to 25 mph while we fished) and non-biting but annoying bugs which will fly in your eyes, up your nose and in your ears unless you have a head net.

Would like to go back some August and skate a riffle hitched fly on the river for salmon.
01B0594A-A42D-497C-B94D-797F30C6E9E1_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Dave, looks like a trip to Alaska but without bears, perfect! Glad your trip was good. Welcome home.
No bears. No horror stories about being intercepted at customs to wash down my rods and reels and waders and flies with formaldehyde at great expense. The ghille sprayed our rods, reels, waders and boots with alcohol when we got to the lodge but I rinsed everything in the sink afterwards. I spared my flies by convincing the ghille that they were new and hadn't been used. Didn't want to put these through an alcohol bath. Can you spot the guide fly in the box?
2D6D3AC7-970E-41C9-8B45-EB7171AD3E20_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
No bears. No horror stories about being intercepted me at customs to wash down my rods and reels and waders and flies with formaldehyde at great expense. The ghille at the lodge sprayed rods, reels, waders and boots with alcohol when we got to the lodge but rinsed everything in the sink afterwards. I also spared my flies by convincing the ghille that they were new and hadn't been used. Didn't want to put these through an alcohol bath. Can you spot the guide fly in the box?
View attachment 69307
My guide handed me a grey ghost…I actually did better with my olive wooly buggars…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Artic char crudo with artic char roe was my favorite...the hard as a rock dried cod (and I like dried fish) and buried shark was not...

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
I fished a handful of places very close to here about 7-8 years ago. The fishing was amazing but everything else I experienced was even better. I hope to take my kids there some day. Such an amazing place. I think about it often. Thanks for the report!

Westfly Refugee

Steelhead
Yes, after their efforts to attract tourists, I've been curious about Iceland.
I couldn't find 'rates' on the lodge's website...can you give us a general idea?

I did find this on the lodge website: We reserve the right to deny anyone entry to our property, and there is a “Black List” to which the names of bad guests are added. Bad guests are those whose behavior and treatment of the place shows disrespect.

Of course now I wonder what it takes to get on the "Black List"? Kick a troll? Diss Bjork?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I couldn't find 'rates' on the lodge's website...can you give us a general idea?

I wonder what it takes to get on the "Black List"? Kick a troll? Diss Bjork?
Rates are $600 per person a night to stay at the lodge.

The is a self catering lodge. I think you'd make the black list if you damaged the lodge or left it a mess or violated the fishery rules.

IMG_0307.jpeg

The lodge is almost fully booked for the rest of the season. The king of sweden rents the lodge in August to fish for atlantic salmon. He took these fish in the pool next to the lodge.
IMG_0264.jpeg

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Rates are $600 per person a night to stay at the lodge.

The is a self catering lodge. I think you'd make the black list if you damaged the lodge or left it a mess or violated the fishery rules.

View attachment 70094

The lodge is almost fully booked for the rest of the season. The king of sweden rents the lodge in August to fish for atlantic salmon. He took these fish in the pool next to the lodge.
View attachment 70095I

If you know any swedish please tell the King he needs to get with it and fish bamboo. How pedestrian! (LOL)