Another Winter Project - Phillipson 7-1/2' 5 wt "MF76L" aka "Two-Toned Casting Machine"

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's another glass project I finished this winter. About five years ago I bought a beat up Phillipson 7-1/2' MF76L at a local antiques store. When I tried casting it I was very pleasantly surprised. It's old fashioned, 1960's glass, but it loved a 5 weight rather than the typical 6 for the time period (many folks fish it with a 4 wt even). After looking into the rod model I found that it was the rare "L" version of the rod that was the lighter 5 wt and was a rod a lot of the old glass fans love to hunt for. I fished it "as-is" a couple times but couldn't get comfortable with all the chips and scratches in the pale yellow paint of the blank, or the failing wraps and beat up guides.

So I decided I'd just strip it and rebuild it...how hard could that be, right? Well, I discovered two things...first, that yellow paint was nearly impossible to remove no matter what I tried. Second, and to my chagrin, I discovered that a secret to the rod's great casting was that Phillipson used different glass for the butt section and tip section. So it cast great, but the butt was orange'ish yellow while the tip was rootbeer brown. I considered repainting the blank but ended up just putting on a few coats of tung oil and enjoyed my two-toned rod. So, a two-toned casting machine it is. So be it.

I chose black silk for the wraps with yellow tipping, red signature wrap in the Phillipson open spiral style, a red agate stripper and a new seat and cork. I finally finished it a couple weeks ago, casts like a dream. Given my preference for bamboo I'm not certain it will get fished as much as it should, but if I still have it for the next gathering I'll bring it out for anyone to try who might be curious about it.

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
One other thought, and I'd love to hear if anyone knows about this...would the lighter yellow/orange glass be faster while the darker rootbeer glass slower? That darker glass reminds me of the earliest Phillipson glass rods. Maybe the lighter colored glass was a newer, faster version, and the combo of the two created a nicer casting rod than the same glass throughout. hmmmm

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
After reading today that many consider it to be a 4 weight, I took it out with the same 4 wt Wulff Bamboo fly line I used on the Steffen 3/4, and was pleasantly surprised. It might be just as good with a 4 as with the 5 I'd fished on it before. Fun rod.

Dragon Mo

Keep Calm - Drink More Whisky
Forum Supporter
Now, that's a kick! I like it! I've got a rod that the builder claimed to have been made from a shortened 7' 70's Phillipson rod kit. It's 6' and as I recall it has a Phillipson ferrule and translucent glass in one or both sections. I'd have to dig it out to refresh my memory. Very nice with a 4 wt., acceptable with a 3 wt. Keeps the onlookers guessing...

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
After reading today that many consider it to be a 4 weight, I took it out with the same 4 wt Wulff Bamboo fly line I used on the Steffen 3/4, and was pleasantly surprised. It might be just as good with a 4 as with the 5 I'd fished on it before. Fun rod.
The glass rods don't seem as picky about line weight as rods built of other material. I have a 70's era Hardy Fiberglass rod rated for 6# that readily uses 5# thru 7# and cast them all beautifully..

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The glass rods don't seem as picky about line weight as rods built of other material. I have a 70's era Hardy Fiberglass rod rated for 6# that readily uses 5# thru 7# and cast them all beautifully..
Interesting observation and likely very true. I wonder if that is more true of the old, heavier 1960's glass compared to modern glass that is lighter in weight?