Anchor method for older Commander

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I wanted a way to easily anchor in my Commander while fishing slow lower river/estuary areas. And in lakes when fishing bobbers. I've tried a couple different ways, but I think I may have settled on one.
Using a Scotty anchor mount on the right IGS (Integrated Gear System) mount and a Scotty 266 Float Tube adapter on a NRS strap. I just zip-tied a 25 lb pulley to the float tube adapter and let the 10 lb mushroom anchor dangle off the back right side.

It worked well yesterday in a tidal area, even in a decent incoming rip. Allowed me to anchor up and fish the seam between rip and bay. It didn't yield any fish, but that was because of the 3-4" visibility from all the mud. Haha! Yeah, that was dumb.

Anyway, if you have the older version of the Commander without the rear IGS anchor spot, this seems to work pretty well. NOTE- don't anchor a skinny boat like this in hard current. Bad things can and will happen, but if you have a soft current it's really nice to be able to anchor up. It should work well on lakes as well. I have 2 of the little Outcast float tube anchors that I combine and throw out the front when bobber fishing.

20231102_142548.jpg

Triggw

Steelhead
Don't know anything about your boat, but when I anchor my pontoon in a lake with a 10 lb anchor, it can get mired in the mud and take a lot of force to dislodge. You may need something stronger than a zip tie on the pulley.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I think a weakness of the Scotty anchor lock (at least the one I got 10 years ago) on many 'toon and raft placements is if the anchor hangs up it can be difficult to free the rope so I like how you've mounted it within reach, as long as that mounting base is SOLID.

I personally would feel better if there was a standoff boom on the stern to keep the rope from rubbing on the boat fabric. Could you put something together like this Watermaster stern boom?
1699227143348.png

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don't know anything about your boat, but when I anchor my pontoon in a lake with a 10 lb anchor, it can get mired in the mud and take a lot of force to dislodge. You may need something stronger than a zip tie on the pulley.
One reason I like the mushroom anchor. It's usually wide enough to sit on top of the mud. The zip-tie is actually 2 beefy ties. I don't see these particular ties breaking.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think a weakness of the Scotty anchor lock (at least the one I got 10 years ago) on many 'toon and raft placements is if the anchor hangs up it can be difficult to free the rope so I like how you've mounted it within reach, as long as that mounting base is SOLID.

I personally would feel better if there was a standoff boom on the stern to keep the rope from rubbing on the boat fabric. Could you put something together like this Watermaster stern boom?
View attachment 89126
Yeah, never put a knot in the end of your anchor rope. If you get hung up you want that rope going through the stopper freely so it doesn't cause a dangerous issue in heavy current with the boat. I know some guys that lost their anchor and rope. They walked back upstream, waded to the rope dangling in the current and were able to recover the anchor.

I was a bit concerned about the rubbing, but the rope is very soft. I could add length from the mount to the pulley to get less rope rubbing the boat, but then more anchor is in the water. No big deal for floating, but not great while rowing in lakes or the salt. I'm not worried about it.
And yeah, if I had my own design department, like Water Master, I would make something. ;)