An air fryer no-no

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I like the Ling Ling pot stickers you buy frozen at Costco in the big bag. They are really handy when my meal schedule gets out of sequence and I just need a quick snack. Cooking them in a covered frying pan per instructions is very good and nets an easy and tasty snack complimented with a glass of white wine.

I ruined some today by attempting to make them in my air fryer. After watching a half dozen how-to videos and being assured that they would be just perfect I tried it. They were not only not perfect but were bloody awful! Just follow the instructions using a little oil, some water for steam and a cover on the pan. Many things are just wonderful in an air fryer-pot stickers isn't one of them.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I bought the air fryer you recommended and have been disappointed so far in airfryers in general, but need to try some more recipes!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I bought the air fryer you recommended and have been disappointed so far in airfryers in general, but need to try some more recipes!
I'm sorry to hear that but there is a learning curve to everything. I use mine several times a week and seldom have a disappointment. When I do it is news, like today, and I make a note of it.

Some of the things I use mine for are baked potatoes, buttermilk biscuits, chicken legs, breast and thighs, pork chops and cutlets, bacon and most anything else I don't want to heat a big oven for. It is great for reheating pizza as it doesn't come out soggy like the microwave.

Some of the videos of air fryer cooking on the internet are just plain wrong and are real bad advice. Do your own testing and make some notes, it really is simple. I have tried steak and hamburgers in mine and thought it was a waste of good meat, chicken and pork seem to fare far better. I have even done shrimp and they were surprisingly good.

Many people seem to cook everything at 400 degrees in their haste and can easily overcook due to the shortened cook times needed. Scale back the heat a bit and stretch out the time a little for better results.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
I'm sorry to hear that but there is a learning curve to everything. I use mine several times a week and seldom have a disappointment. When I do it is news, like today, and I make a note of it.

Some of the things I use mine for are baked potatoes, buttermilk biscuits, chicken legs, breast and thighs, pork chops and cutlets, bacon and most anything else I don't want to heat a big oven for. It is great for reheating pizza as it doesn't come out soggy like the microwave.

Some of the videos of air fryer cooking on the internet are just plain wrong and are real bad advice. Do your own testing and make some notes, it really is simple. I have tried steak and hamburgers in mine and thought it was a waste of good meat, chicken and pork seem to fare far better. I have even done shrimp and they were surprisingly good.

Many people seem to cook everything at 400 degrees in their haste and can easily overcook due to the shortened cook times needed. Scale back the heat a bit and stretch out the time a little for better results.

Definitely need to try more things, but what I have tried has beenb disappointing, actually very disappointing. I will definitely continue to try more as it seems like a great concept!

(BigDave)

Smolt
I get my Ling Lings at Winco, they seem like the only potstickers that have danced around the price increases. The price of the good stuff at Ranch 99 has gone through the roof!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
We've got the ninja foodi with the pressure cooking option. Ribs come out great, chicken and baked potatoes also, but we've had to seriously adjust how we do "fried" chicken due to the coatings we use. Once we got past that, hey, great fried chicken too. Btw, air friers work great for making nachos 😃

Russell

Steelhead
Definitely need to try more things, but what I have tried has beenb disappointing, actually very disappointing. I will definitely continue to try more as it seems like a great concept!
From what I have tried or had prepared for me with an air fryer, I have also been very disappointed. Cooks things fast but dries them out. Bacon ends up like the pre cooked microwave type. One friend has really been trying to convince me but aside from reheating deep fried foods I believe I get better results from my toaster oven or grill or stovetop.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I struggled too until I started doing everything at 350, then it got a lot better. Now I do half the time at 350 and am starting to get adventurous and finish at a higher heat for a really short time to get the crunch. They aren't as easy as advertised but they are quick since it starts cooking right away.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I struggled too until I started doing everything at 350, then it got a lot better. Now I do half the time at 350 and am starting to get adventurous and finish at a higher heat for a really short time to get the crunch. They aren't as easy as advertised but they are quick since it starts cooking right away.
I'm with you, 350 is my magic number now for almost everything.

Thing is money for reheating almost anything the kids didn't eat the night before.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use air fryer recipes as an extremely loose guideline. Temperatures and times vary by model and what you are cooking. It takes trial and error. I can cook a piece of salmon perfectly in a few minutes, maybe a couple minutes longer for really thick filets, but I've read recipes that are like "cook fish at 390 degrees for 15 minutes!".

I totally get why some people hate them, I've followed recipes online to the letter and have ended up with inedible results. The stuff we have figured out, it does really well and pretty dang fast.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I did pot stickers too......garbage in the air fryer.
Awesome on the stove top as recommended on the packaging.

kerrys

Ignored Member
What I have found with an air fryer is it is real easy to overcook stuff. Most recipes have you cook stuff for to long.

I did barbecued pork ribs tonight. I didn’t feel like firing up the big outdoor grill for just a couple ribs for myself. If I would have followed any recipe on the internet I would have dried up mostly burnt ribs. I coat my ribs with a no salt, no sugar spice rub and let them sit in the fridge for several hours. Preheat the fryer to 360. Cook ribs for 12 to 15 minutes, turn cook for 5 more minutes. Coat ribs with sauce, turn fryer up to 390 and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. These are general directions. I check the temp of the ribs in the first 10 to 12 minutes. If they have reached 145 turn them over and cook them just long enough to reach 165 then brush with your sauce. Cooking with an air fryer requires a watchful eye. It isn’t automatic.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, me too. I gave one to my granddaughter, my niece and to Freestone. Then Freestone gave hers away and bought a much nicer one. Now we can all exchange recipes and experiences. Cool!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I asked my granddaughter to cook me up some FF in her air fryer They were so dry I just chucked them. Worst FF I tried to eat. I went back to my greasy salt covered FF. I like then a lot better. They might be bad for me, but I've been eating them that way since I stared eating Fast Food. About 70 years or so. And to god damn old to change.

MELinOre

Steelhead
We are a two air fryer family. Bought a 2.2 Qt Gourmia several years ago. Over time as we expanded what we cooked in the air fryer the Gourmia wasn't large enough, so on the recommendation of @iveofione bought a 5.8 Qt Cosori air fryer for those cooking items/times when you need to "go large". We love the convenience and food taste of air fryer cooking. And there is room in the kitchen cabinets to keep them off the counter tops when not in use.