NFR Am I the only grump who doesn't care about Halloween?

Non-fishing related

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don’t dress up, but if I did…

View attachment 39175

Ever since our kids were laid (as our youngest says), I have been telling family and friends they do not need a thing. “We want to give” they would insist. “Wonderful, they each have a 529 plan” was always my answer but never well received. After a decade of endlessly berating them over this topic we were able to eliminate gift exchanges a few years back. We have realocated the gift expenditures in to experiences/vacations that are a total surprise to the kids. They know we may be departing home at a set date however they are unaware of the destination and even upon arrival they still do not get filled in on the day to day plans until the last moment necessary. The trips to the dump are far fewer, the complaining and bickering of not getting want they want or who got what has been totally eliminated. So far, every time we have returned home there is gratitude, appreciation and plenty of stories to be told.
Amazing. You are my hero. I have tried to get out of Christmas for 27 years. All it has ever gotten me was people calling me names. Much respect.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
The lights off is a universal rule I thought everyone knew. There was one house last night that just taped a note to their door that said they were out of candy. But they left all the lights on, including orange and purple themed blinking lights around the door, and lit up pumpkins. So we send a 4 and 6 year old up to the door, they arnt going to read a note! Finally walked up after they waited a while and saw the note :rolleyes:
Did you give em a trick!?

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
A999FB47-E775-4363-BF31-ACC6393E9B82.jpegWhat is not to like? We turned offour brains and watched Ghostbusters last night. We only had about 15 little kids come to the door and appreciated the jarred house spiders i collected and put in jars on the porch. So we have lots of candy left. It was a dark wet night. I have been wearing the same shirt i made when work at the Oregon History Museum. I do every Halloween that one day. I started wearing it one day a year since about 1987. The cool thing about it is I am starting to look more like Dr John McLaughlin more each year. The kids were cute. 7BCB81BE-E36B-4979-821A-6E10199E7784.jpeg61361855-F9DC-46D2-8318-36D2FECA1EB7.jpeg

RCF

Life of the Party
I think what i don’t like about holidays the most is that sometimes you feel like you should do something to get together with family , but it’s not always that easy to make that happen or you simply don’t want to. Or maybe family isn’t always that fun to be around. I think a lot of holidays make people feel guilty or lonely like they are supposed to be doing something . I think we need fewer holidays!

I have a somewhat similar view but a different approach. Our family does the holidays that are important to us. Now we only invite people over we truly enjoy being with, they appreciate the effort our family puts in and provide some help along the way. We used to do the 'obligatory invites' but many times they would cancel the day of the event. Maybe got a better offer? Ever since we no longer did the 'obligatory invites' , we no longer see them at anytime during the year. 'No skin off our noses' and IMHO not missing out on anything either...

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
No one trick or treats in our neighborhood. There is no light and driveways are long and you can't see any of the few homes from the gravel road.