Almost wintertime stream bug observations

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My confidence patterns are tweaks of old standards. In my ongoing quest to be a better fisherman I'm trying to become better acquainted with the food I can expect a trout to see on the buffet line and to tie something that looks like said food. Took a white tray, and a kick net to the stream today and took some samples. Nothing in the air for the dollar store net.
20231216_stuff.jpg
20231216_bugs1.jpg20231216_bugs2.jpg
20231216_bingo.jpg
There was a little black stone on the shithouse wall.
20231216_ltlblkstone.jpg
Being more aware of the green free living caddis, I had a Partridge and Green ready to go.
20231216_partridgeandgreen.jpg
Which took the first fish. Love me a classic softhackle.
20231216_PartrAndGrn1stfish.jpg
And based upon the stone flies, I fished a knuckle dragging golden stone on the middle dropper.
20231216_knuckledrgstn.jpg
And a lightly weighted version of the simiseal stone I've been working on as a trailer.
20231216_simisealstone.jpg
And the fish liked both of those
20231216_nicepair.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Maybe put a dime in your white tray to judge bug length later from the pictures? Cool to see those green Caddis. Nice double!
That's a great tip, thanks.
How you catch so many doubles is beyond me. Great photos.
Only one double in this post, and no triples. Tom must be slipping in his game.
:LOL:
I honestly don't know. The leader just stopped, and I thought another nice fish, and then I see two pretty ones instead.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Saw the green rock worms and went to the bench where I tied a simple green wool and olive/brown hare ear fly. The observation led to success today.
20231218_obs.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
in an area with lots of fish...
I was on a different reach today, but the gentleman I met swore there were no fish in the river, and we were wasting our time. Three hours without a hit. He really didn't want to visit much, or take any flies. I caught one right where he had just been. I'd rather be teachable.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
He fishes five flies at once…
Usually 3 unless I don't want something up in the water column. Two today to stay deep.