Advice- Southern Oregon

Blue Lines

Steelhead
Starting a new job in a week and taking a last minute camping trip to fish, hike, and spend time with the dog. I’m excited to explore southern Oregon, leaving Salem on Sunday and returning Friday. I’ve never been there before and am excited for the adventure.

I’m open to suggestions, but thinking of heading to the Ana River for a couple nights, then maybe the Blitzen and possibly camping at Antelope Hot Springs (Originally I was going to spend the week on the Metolious, but I’ve been there a lot over the winter and while she’s been good to me I feel the urge to branch out).

I don’t have any watercraft, so lakes are out, and mostly love hiking up small rivers alone. I prefer to target native trout.

It looks like most rivers out there are open right now, any advice on where to go (or if these locations are even worth it this time of year)? I’ll be traveling in my old Jeep with an off-road capable teardrop so I can make it most anywhere.

Many thanks in advance, and if anyone is out that way I’d love a chance to buy you a beer 🍺.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Starting a new job in a week and taking a last minute camping trip to fish, hike, and spend time with the dog. I’m excited to explore southern Oregon, leaving Salem on Sunday and returning Friday. I’ve never been there before and am excited for the adventure.

I’m open to suggestions, but thinking of heading to the Ana River for a couple nights, then maybe the Blitzen and possibly camping at Antelope Hot Springs (Originally I was going to spend the week on the Metolious, but I’ve been there a lot over the winter and while she’s been good to me I feel the urge to branch out).

I don’t have any watercraft, so lakes are out, and mostly love hiking up small rivers alone. I prefer to target native trout.

It looks like most rivers out there are open right now, any advice on where to go (or if these locations are even worth it this time of year)? I’ll be traveling in my old Jeep with an off-road capable teardrop so I can make it most anywhere.

Many thanks in advance, and if anyone is out that way I’d love a chance to buy you a beer 🍺.

I have no real advice other than to have fun!

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
Snow pack is 150-200% of normal. Id imagine the roads could be a little muddy. Dont know about Ana this time of year but the Blitzen is bouncing 100 to 250 fps everyday so 20% above normal and probably pretty cold water temps... Maybe the Crooked would be a better bet as its starting to pick up.

Blue Lines

Steelhead
Thank you both! Good to know the Crooked is starting to pick up- used to fish it a lot and with this I may spend my last night there on the way back.

With the water levels like that it sounds like the Blitzen isn’t my best bet right now. I may stick around the Ana and then explore some blue lines a little further east.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I was just looking at that- I think the mine was called “dust devil” or some such? Should be a good alternative if the fishing is slow.
That's a pay to play mine, there's a couple of them. There is a free collection site, just look up oregon Sunstone collection area. We went last year to the free area and you can find lots of little shards laying on top of the ground but nothing substantial. We are planning on going back this year to a fee mine like dust devil.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thank you both! Good to know the Crooked is starting to pick up- used to fish it a lot and with this I may spend my last night there on the way back.

With the water levels like that it sounds like the Blitzen isn’t my best bet right now. I may stick around the Ana and then explore some blue lines a little further east.
The Ana is a fun but odd fishery full of planted trout. Look for bwos. Otherwise nymph posse buggers or strip small buggers.

Ana Reservoir has "wipers" but it's gear focused. I've never targeted them.

PS. The mud there is super gooey and dries like cement on your rig...just sayin'

PPS. Ooopsie am I late to the party?