Access warning

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
If you fish a certain sun lakes area trout lake with a notoriously rough and narrow access, be careful!

No idea how it's fishing, because I fled the scene.
No one there when I arrived, so I set up my kayak, then backed the trailer toward the launch. As the wheels approached the water, about 10 million hornets AND wasps rose from the adjacent grass and swarmed the kayak.
Being allergic to stings, that was a hard Nope for me! As I ungeared to leave for less lethal waters, a couple other guys arrived and I warned them. They observed the launch for 5 min and then also opted not to try it.

Maybe a good opportunity to have the lake to yourself if you have a bee suit!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the great heads up Northern! I wonder what species of wasp or hornet those were, if there was a nest in a tree near the launch or what.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I fished it yesterday and I hate yellowjackets...they were not in the mood to sting thankfully😁
You're a braver man than I!

I was there Thursday. I seriously considered trying it, but that's a long drive, and my epi pen is more than a bit out of date :eek:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I don’t know anything about hornets/wasps and their nesting or swarming habits but that sounds terrifying. @Billy - did you observe the same behavior yesterday?

CopperJess

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I’m going to give it a try tomorrow and hope they aren’t too crazy. I just can’t stay away, I’ve been waiting to fish this spot in the fall!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I don’t know anything about hornets/wasps and their nesting or swarming habits but that sounds terrifying. @Billy - did you observe the same behavior yesterday?
Yeah. Having my waders on I just carried tube right through them as calm as I could be.