A wet, windy week at Patagonian BaseCamp, Chile in mid-March

Part 1 of 6: A wet, windy week at Patagonian BaseCamp in mid-March.
Preamble: This adventure to Chile had a long gestation, enduring several twists since its inception in 2018-2019. The initial plan was for 6 of us, long-time friends from fishing the St. Joe River in Idaho and Rock Creek in Montana, to travel to Kamchatka in summer 2021 for a weeklong adventure drifting a river there for big rainbows. Booking through the Fly Shop in Redding, Tim had done a similar Kamchatka float trip previously and wanted to share this unique adventure with us – fishing mouse flies to huge rainbows. Then, early in 2020, COVID hit and shut down all travel. The Fly Shop decided to push their summer 2020 bookings to summer 2021 and our summer 2021 booking to summer 2022. But travel was still restricted when summer 2021 rolled around and they repeated the process. Thus, we were scheduled for summer 2023 at earliest. Then, that little kerfuffle broke out between Ukraine and Russia and none of us wanted to travel to Mother Russia under the circumstances.
So, we began to consider other options, such as Alaska in summer or New Zealand or Chile / Argentina in our winter (their summer). These Southern hemisphere options became more viable for me when I retired and could travel at will in winter. We researched various opportunities and decided on the Patagonian BaseCamp. It was highly recommended and offered diverse fishing options. The only time frame that could accommodate a group of our size there was in March, at the end of their season (typically, from after Xmas through mid-March). One original couple had already booked a Caribbean cruise for this time window and had to drop out. But Tim’s brother, Tom, decided to join us. There would be five fishers in our group.
During the long gestation of this trip, members of our group had suffered a) substantial lower back problems, b) sleep apnea, c) diabetes, d) a heart attack, e) a replaced hip, f) a pulmonary embolism, and other health issues. To some extent, our thoughts were “go now while we can…”. It also helped that at Patagonian FishCamp, much / all of the fishing can be done from boats, limiting the need to wade (back and hip issues…). And here we are.
We received a detailed list of items to pack from the Fly Shop. The fly list was heavy on large nymphs (e.g., Pat’s stoneflies, prince nymphs),
A09GoldbeadPrinceNymph7448Trim.jpg
streamers (crystal buggers),
A07BeadheadCrystalBuggerBrown7441Trim.jpg
and foam flies (Chernobyls and their offspring).
A08ChubbyChernobyl7451Trim.jpg
My initial visions of wet wading in shorts and a rash guard on a warm sunny day (you know, Idaho and Montana in summer) casting to big rising trout changed radically as I focused on the weather forecasts for early March in the region. Shit, it would be cold. And as the departure day came closer, the local forecasts were for rain, lots of rain. So, lighter shirts and a fleece vest were replaced by thermal undershirts, heavy rain gear, and a full fleece jacket – wise moves it proved.
Four flights and three days after departing Seattle, I arrived at Patagonian BaseCamp on the banks of the Rio Palena for a week of fishing a remote location.
A01WAToPatagoniaTrim.jpg
A02SantiagoToPatagonianBaseCamp2.png
A03SnowCoveredAndeanPeaksToOcean7488 copy.jpg
A04PatagoniaBaseCampLodge7679 copy.jpg
The lodge’s location just off Hwy. 7, the major road running N-S through Patagonia, provides access to a number of rivers and lakes. The lodge lies in a north-south valley between two sections of the Andes. [We should have been able to see glacially-covered mountains west and east of the lodge, but the low clouds all week blocked any view of the peaks.]. This is one of the narrower sections of Chile (already a narrow country) with the ocean only 40 miles to the west and the border with Argentina about 60 miles to the east. Multiple rivers and lakes drain from the mountains.
A05PuertoMonttToPatagonianBaseCamp.jpg
A06PatagonianBaseCampInAndes.jpg
The Patagonian BaseCamp prides itself on providing their guests with the opportunity to fish a different location every day. In addition to floating rivers or fishing lakes, there were overnight options too. Normally, some fishers will be assigned to fish one of three remote “fish camps” on the upper stretches on the local rivers. Here you would float / fish you way down to the camp the first day, stay overnight at the comfortable camp with food already prepared by the cooks at the lodge, and then float / fish your way out to a takeout point. But the crappy weather – rain and wind removed the camps as an option for us.
As the week progressed, our fishing options were increasingly limited by rain and wind. Rain itself is a pain, but it doesn’t prohibit us from fishing, especially with quality rain gear. But heavy rain increases the flow in rivers, especially with the steep slopes in this section of Patagonia. The river levels quickly became too high to fish and the visibility dropped so much that it really wasn’t worth fishing. And the wind made casting really hard and puts you, your fishing partner, and your guide at risk of an inadvertent piercing.
The week ended up being a series of adventures, not necessarily the ones that we had originally envisioned. Let me take you on some of these adventures. My conclusion after two weeks back home: yes, I would certainly go back, but perhaps earlier in the season…
Steve

Last edited:

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Post Mortem, Patagonia BaseCamp
The adventures that we experienced are Patagonia BaseCamp were not exactly what I had anticipated when I envisioned this trip before we left Washington. We (fishers and staff) did the best we could under the weather that we experienced. But from what the guides and other guests told me, we hadn’t scratched the surface of the fishing available in the region. We never experienced the field camps or a really solid surface hatch with explosive surface strikes. Yes, I would happily go back, but at a more favorable time of year. Going late in the season (for reasons that I will explain shortly) can be spectacularly wonderful (Indian Summer) or a cluster-fudge (like some of our week).
Over a nice single-malt one evening, I asked Marcel why he relied so much on travel expeditors, like the Fly Shop and Yellow Dog, to arrange his bookings, versus having clients book directly with him (and avoid their cut). His reason is that the expeditors handle so many of the guest details that he doesn’t have the time or staff to handle. To him, they expeditors served a valuable function for him.
And he said that his own data indicate that about 65% of his clients are repeat customers; the three guests that were there when we were had visited previously, one guest for four years in a row. Marcel said that the Fly Shop’s data, which records not only repeat customers but also friends/family that join a prior guest on a trip, increase the repeat business level at Patagonia BaseCamp to 80-85% of his bookings. And there are only 12 slots available each week. Clearly, he and his staff are doing something right.
That high rebooking rate is one reason that our group of 6 (then 5) could only be accommodated at the end of the season even though we booked almost a year before our departure. We left the lodge on Sunday and the last guests were scheduled to leave on Tuesday. When the guides weren’t guiding, they were dismantling the three field camps and packing away boats, rafts, etc. They would all by gone back to Montana (or to visit family in the U.S.) by Friday of that week.
I was impressed at the friendliness, openness, and helpfulness of Marcel and his whole team. Even though we were there at the very end of an intense season, the staff and guides were as committed to customer service as if it was the beginning of the season. The lodge is comfortable without being pretentious. We had many great conversations with Marcel and his team, something that I value as much as (well almost as much as) huge trout.
There are two downsides to this trip: cost and travel time. These destination lodges are NOT cheap, about $1000/day. But I’m not sure that there are any bargains to be had in these all-inclusive trips. You would be able to DIY a trip for cheaper, but you would have a hard time matching the whole experience. Besides I’m not saving money for an inheritance and I married a cute younger woman, so I might as well convert some of my retirement savings into adventures (while I still can…).
The travel time was also very draining. It did literally take 3 days to get to the lodge. Sh!t, it took me less time to fly across the Pacific to Darwin, Northern Territories, Australia or Siem Reap, Cambodia. The ratio of travel to fishing / adventuring was too close to 1:1 for my taste. I explored some pre-PBC exploring on the Lake District and post-PBC exploring in Torres del Paine National Park, but none of the others that I was traveling with wanted to spend the time/money. After traveling so far, I would rather spend more time to explore, but that’s me.
And modern flying should be defined as torture under the Geneva Convention. Modern planes cram the passengers in like sardines. If you think that you can exit the plane in an emergency through those narrow aisles, you are delusional, especially with packed flights. And the seats are placed so tight together and tilted at an overly upright angle. Can standing straps be far behind?
We flew to Chile on LATAM, the national airline of Chile. The food in coach was mediocre at best. And they served no booze and only a limited selection of soft drinks. I expect more on an international flight, but maybe that level of service has changed. When we head down to Southern South America for an Antarctic cruise in two years, I may have to pony up the money for business class.
Steve

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks for taking me along on your adventure! I'll probably never get a chance to do it, plus I hate to fly, however I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the place through your lens and stories.

Last edited:

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Wow - a very good report and worth the 30 minutes to sit and obsorb all the great details and effort. Great Read! I enjoyed your perspective.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
What a wondrous adventure! The superb reports and photos are a gift to the forum. Thank you, Steve!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I always look forward to your trip reports Steve and this one did not disappoint. Your pictures and informative narrative of the local flora and fauna are truly appreciated. Thank you!

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
Wow! THANKS!! Very neat to know that someone's out there taking trips like that and then taking the time to craft such an entertaining and informative account of the trip. Talk about setting the bar........ Sheesh....... :) :)

Kado

Steelhead
What a great and memorable way to spend a birthday. Thanks so much for sharing and informing us of this area of the world.

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Awesome photos. The scenery looks so neat. Kind of a combination of New Zealand and the PNW. I was hoping I may see some monster brookies. You'll have to go back for part 2. haha.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
Part 1 of 6: A wet, windy week at Patagonian BaseCamp in mid-March.
Preamble: This adventure to Chile had a long gestation, enduring several twists since its inception in 2018-2019. The initial plan was for 6 of us, long-time friends from fishing the St. Joe River in Idaho and Rock Creek in Montana, to travel to Kamchatka in summer 2021 for a weeklong adventure drifting a river there for big rainbows. Booking through the Fly Shop in Redding, Tim had done a similar Kamchatka float trip previously and wanted to share this unique adventure with us – fishing mouse flies to huge rainbows. Then, early in 2020, COVID hit and shut down all travel. The Fly Shop decided to push their summer 2020 bookings to summer 2021 and our summer 2021 booking to summer 2022. But travel was still restricted when summer 2021 rolled around and they repeated the process. Thus, we were scheduled for summer 2023 at earliest. Then, that little kerfuffle broke out between Ukraine and Russia and none of us wanted to travel to Mother Russia under the circumstances.
So, we began to consider other options, such as Alaska in summer or New Zealand or Chile / Argentina in our winter (their summer). These Southern hemisphere options became more viable for me when I retired and could travel at will in winter. We researched various opportunities and decided on the Patagonian BaseCamp. It was highly recommended and offered diverse fishing options. The only time frame that could accommodate a group of our size there was in March, at the end of their season (typically, from after Xmas through mid-March). One original couple had already booked a Caribbean cruise for this time window and had to drop out. But Tim’s brother, Tom, decided to join us. There would be five fishers in our group.
During the long gestation of this trip, members of our group had suffered a) substantial lower back problems, b) sleep apnea, c) diabetes, d) a heart attack, e) a replaced hip, f) a pulmonary embolism, and other health issues. To some extent, our thoughts were “go now while we can…”. It also helped that at Patagonian FishCamp, much / all of the fishing can be done from boats, limiting the need to wade (back and hip issues…). And here we are.
We received a detailed list of items to pack from the Fly Shop. The fly list was heavy on large nymphs (e.g., Pat’s stoneflies, prince nymphs),
View attachment 109083
streamers (crystal buggers),
View attachment 109084
and foam flies (Chernobyls and their offspring).
View attachment 109085
My initial visions of wet wading in shorts and a rash guard on a warm sunny day (you know, Idaho and Montana in summer) casting to big rising trout changed radically as I focused on the weather forecasts for early March in the region. Shit, it would be cold. And as the departure day came closer, the local forecasts were for rain, lots of rain. So, lighter shirts and a fleece vest were replaced by thermal undershirts, heavy rain gear, and a full fleece jacket – wise moves it proved.
Four flights and three days after departing Seattle, I arrived at Patagonian FishCamp on the banks of the Rio Palena for a week of fishing a remote location.
View attachment 109086
View attachment 109087
View attachment 109088
View attachment 109089
The lodge’s location just off Hwy. 7, the major road running N-S through Patagonia, provides access to a number of rivers and lakes. The lodge lies in a north-south valley between two sections of the Andes. [We should have been able to see glacially-covered mountains west and east of the lodge, but the low clouds all week blocked any view of the peaks.]. This is one of the narrower sections of Chile (already a narrow country) with the ocean only 40 miles to the west and the border with Argentina about 60 miles to the east. Multiple rivers and lakes drain from the mountains.
View attachment 109090
View attachment 109091
The Patagonian FishCamp prides itself on providing their guests with the opportunity to fish a different location every day. In addition to floating rivers or fishing lakes, there were overnight options too. Normally, some fishers will be assigned to fish one of three remote “fish camps” on the upper stretches on the local rivers. Here you would float / fish you way down to the camp the first day, stay overnight at the comfortable camp with food already prepared by the cooks at the lodge, and then float / fish your way out to a takeout point. But the crappy weather – rain and wind removed the camps as an option for us.
As the week progressed, our fishing options were increasingly limited by rain and wind. Rain itself is a pain, but it doesn’t prohibit us from fishing, especially with quality rain gear. But heavy rain increases the flow in rivers, especially with the steep slopes in this section of Patagonia. The river levels quickly became too high to fish and the visibility dropped so much that it really wasn’t worth fishing. And the wind made casting really hard and puts you, your fishing partner, and your guide at risk of an inadvertent piercing.
The week ended up being a series of adventures, not necessarily the ones that we had originally envisioned. Let me take you on some of these adventures. My conclusion after two weeks back home: yes, I would certainly go back, but perhaps earlier in the season…
Steve
I just read part 1. Outstanding!! You really know how to tell a story. I am looking forward to parts 2-6. Thanks for sharing.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I haven't finished it yet. But wanted to thank you and say I've really enjoyed what I have read so far.

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Thanks Steve for that great report. I have one of those chilean gunneras in my garden, though it is not in a wet enough bog to thrive. The spiky fronds and trunk are fun as are the giant leaves. When the seed pod comes up I cut it off before they mature and ripen, I don't want it spreading. Slugs or snails seem to love it despite the spikes

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Great trip…I’ve been to northern Patagonia in Argentina, but Chile is still on my bucket list