A thread about minor boat trailer upgrades.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I need to replace the walking platform of my trailer. This means I have to lift the boat off and suspend it while I work on the trailer. The ceiling of my boat shed will not carry the weight.

Any ideas?

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
I need to replace the walking platform of my trailer. This means I have to lift the boat off and suspend it while I work on the trailer. The ceiling of my boat shed will not carry the weight.

Any ideas?
Of course I don’t know the size and weight of your boat, maybe build a cheap dolly cart out of wood. I put wheels on mine when I worked on my trailer so I could move it to reload on the trailer.
Or borrow a friends trailer
.70018352707__C2A278A3-C6B9-4F4A-992F-1F1FD2CE2EC4.jpeg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
It's about 15' with a 40/30 pump on it. The motor weighs in at 200 lbs.

I think I can rig something up using a floor jack and blocks

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Looks like someone lived one of my vacation nightmares....

"
We left California en route to Idaho.

After a few nice days at City of Rocks, we headed for Salmon and our final trip prep. Just past the small town of Carey, Idaho, the axle on our raft trailer blew up. It's impressive to see your own wheel following you up the highway, and smacking the tail end of your trailer after you've pulled off the road. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Saturday afternoon, a few hours short of our destination, three (yes, three) spare tires for the trailer in the truck but stuck. Fortunately, Cyril, the owner of MK Trailers, in Carey, happened by. He didn't have any trailers small enough for our needs but he offered to get our trailer back to his shop while we ran down to Twin Falls and try to get a new trailer on a Saturday evening.

We got back to Cyril's shop, new utility trailer in tow, about three hours later. Cyril met us and told us he had hauled our old trailer, inflated raft and all, back to his shop down the highway on a forklift. I wish I had a photo. We deflated and rolled the raft and transferred everything to the new trailer. Cyril, very kindly, bought the trailer from us. He planned to put install a new axle and sell it.

We made it to Salmon around midnight.

The next day we did our final shopping. Then, I drove up to. Missoula to pick up my daughter at the airport. We had been unable to find a raft trailer between Carey and Twin Falls, so we settled for a utility trailer. I think I saw about half a dozen places selling raft trailers between Salmon and Missoula. Such is life.

The Main Salmon, between Corn Creek and Carey, was fun!

We arrived at Carey Creek Boat Ramp around 2:00 pm to find our truck had not arrived. I remembered estimating our arrival at Carey Creek as 3:00 pm, on my shuttle paperwork, so I figured they just hadn't arrived, yet. 3:00 came and went. We got a message out to some friends, on our Garmin. They contacted the shuttle company and learned that our truck had problems and the shuttle company had left it in Riggins.

We hitched a ride into Riggins, where my wife and kids got a room. I decided to risk going back out to Carey Creek for all of the gear. The truck did okay (with, literally, a dozen codes showing). I got back to the motel at midnight.

The next morning, we limped the truck down to McCall, which was our intended post-takeout destination. We arrived Sunday around midday.

First thing Monday morning, I limped the truck down to the Dodge dealership in Cascade. They told me they could look at it August 4th (it was July 17th). They suggested that the Dodge dealership in Boise was quite large and might be able to get me in sooner. I called them. They said, if I dropped it off on August 1st and left it for 3-5 days, they could take a look.

I limped back up to McCall and stopped at Valley Auto, where Sean told me they were about two weeks backed up but he'd squeeze it in as best he could. They are closed on Tuesdays, so Wednesday was the best we could hope for. We were supposed to have been home that same (Monday) night. Sean called later that afternoon. The fan had cut the wiring harness from the fan clutch, hence all of the electrical codes. He had ordered the part and would contact us when the truck was ready.

Wednesday morning, around 11:00, Sean called and told us we were ready to go! I picked up the truck, we loaded up and hit the road around 12:30, sights set on home.

Everything was great until about 30 miles west of Winnemucca. We went from highway speed to limp mode in a matter of seconds. We pulled off the highway and could go no farther. Fortunately, we had cell service. We got towed back to Winnemucca, where my wife had found a room.

The next morning, we contacted the shop to which the truck had been towed. Around midday, they called back and told us they could either replace a part for $3,000 + labor, or send the part to Elko for cleaning. The latter option was $600.00 + labor. Either way, we would not be back on the road for a week. We opted for the cleaning option. I'm not putting any more money into that truck (last year, on Gates of Lodore, it was a failed water pump and cracked exhaust manifold).

A dear friend drove out from California, hooked up our trailer, and got us home, last night (it was a 12 hour round trip, for her). Our truck, with some of our stuff, is still in Winnemucca. We'll head back there when we hear it's ready for pick-up.

We had a lot of adventures on this trip. We were also remarkably blessed:

The trailer failed right outside of a small town in an otherwise remote area.
The owner of the local trailer shop found us and went way above and beyond to help us out. (he even bought our trailer)
A passerby drove my family into Riggins when our truck did not show.
A very kind mechanic squeezed us into his schedule in McCall.
We had cell service when the truck broke down outside of Winnemucca.
A friend dropped everything to come and get us in Nevada.

I am certain the stories of this trip will be told for a long time. I'm just not sure how many of them will be about things that happened on the river."
Nightmare trip! Good motivation to complete the last step of my 1985 drift boat trailer renovation: repack/replace the wheel bearings. Not sure I want to do it so will contact a local shop in the morning.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Take it to a lake and offload. Replace bunks with battery powered tools in parking lot.
Internet auto-rec for "trailer repair in the parking lot"!

I was once the guy changing tires and wheels in the Bi-Mart parking lot

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Anyone having trailer light issues should hit this guy up. Seems pretty dialed.

View attachment 80912
Do you have his #?

All my wires are hidden in conduits, etc.—nothing exposed. It’d be nice to have quick access like this.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
IMG_1014_Original.jpegIMG_1264.jpegIMG_1265.jpegIMG_1267.jpegI removed the two front keel rollers and installed short bunks. Should make loading easier since I won’t have to line up the keel perfectly in the middle before cranking her in. Boat should self center when the bow meets the stop, that’s the plan anyway:)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter

Any ideas?
dump the boat on the lawn....crank back on when done

fatbillybob

Steelhead
Does anyone know a trailer place that has quality wheel bearings like SKF bearings not chinese bearings? It is a hassle but I could take my wheel bearing apart and read the numbers and order SKF bearings but that's a lot of work and I hate starting projects I can't finish quickly. Ordering bearings could take a couple weeks to ship.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Does anyone know a trailer place that has quality wheel bearings like SKF bearings not chinese bearings? It is a hassle but I could take my wheel bearing apart and read the numbers and order SKF bearings but that's a lot of work and I hate starting projects I can't finish quickly. Ordering bearings could take a couple weeks to ship.
Might try a NAPA store.
dump the boat on the lawn....crank back on when done
I don't think I'll do that.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Put one of these on my trailer a couple months ago. It runs off the power in the seven prong plug and came with a four prong adapter for the trailer lights.

winch02.jpg

winch01.jpg