A good learning trip despite the wind

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
We (the wife and I) finally got down to a cold lake in the shadow of an active volcano this last Saturday and were able to land a few Bows and Cutties. The weather forecast said mostly sunny and around 69 and the winds were supposed to be around 5mph. Well, I need to start using another weather app. Temps stayed in the high 50’s, wind was blowing out of the W/NW at probably 10 to 15mph and the sun only poked through the low hanging clouds a few times. With the wind, it was downright chilly on the water.

We saw a couple boats on the water and then later in the day as it warmed up just a bit, quite a few Kayakers. But, most of the others on the lake stayed close to the launch to avoid the heavier winds. We had the far end of the lake to ourselves.

ePRtELNh.jpg

All in all, it was a great day. I got to get the new to me raft out of the water and was able to continue some testing to work out the little kinks here and there. And we caught some fish! The wind was coming out of the W/NW so I headed over to the SE (right) side headed up the lake. For the most part, we were able to drift along the SE shore only using the electric motor sporadically to keep a proper distance from the shore while the wind carried us along at a nice slow pace. We started out fishing the shore but after a few casts into the deeper water, we figured out that’s where the fish were holding. It had been pretty warm up until that day so I’m guessing the water temp and the waves crashing on the shore kept the fish a bit deeper. We ended up heading all the way up the lake to the far end and then took our time coming back to the launch due to the wind.

5KS1939h.jpg

gdgz8E6h.jpg

The wife fished gear and out fished me for the day but I was still able to land 3 nice fish. Nothing big but beautiful 10 to 12 inch bows and cutties. My wife did land one rainbow probably around 15 inches or so and we had a ton of small chasers all day probably in the 6 to 8 inch range. I caught everything on balanced leaches in darker colors with orange and red heads working the best. Had quite a few strikes and if I were a better fly fisher, I probably would have landed a few more. But, it was good to get out there and get some more experience under my belt. This summer has been about just getting out there and figuring it out. If I catch fish along the way, all the better.

Even with the cooler temps and wind, we had a blast. The boat is getting dialed in and the motor and battery performed really well. I had plenty of battery left even after running the entire length of the lake in a strong headwind. The raft is about 10 feet and light so I went with a 40lb Motor and a 100 AH Lithium battery. I figured going with the smaller 40lb motor compared to the 55lb and larger batter would give me some good battery life and still have plenty of power. This combo pushes two people along more than fast enough and I usually kept the speed/power backed off a bit.

qrfY9NWh.jpg

49aq07mh.jpg

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A quality lake for certain. It has been discovered by other use groups as of late.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the report. What a gorgeous spot. If you stick with fly fishing for trout in lakes you’ll probably decide that W is mostly a plus, providing it doesn’t leave you stuck at the far end ;) Glassy days are the real challenge.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A quality lake for certain. It has been discovered by other use groups as of late.

It was super quite when we first got there around 10am but my noon or 1, I could see people coming out in Kayaks and Paddle Boards. But, mainly within the first third of the lake from the boat launch. Once you get 1/2 way down or so, we were pretty much alone. I want to get back down to this lake on a warmer sunny day for sure. Pull some of those trout off the ledges just off the shore with some dry flies. But, might have to wait until next summer now,

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the report. What a gorgeous spot. If you stick with fly fishing for trout in lakes you’ll probably decide that W is mostly a plus, providing it doesn’t leave you stuck at the far end ;) Glassy days are the real challenge.

This lake it pretty stunning. I could have just cruised around on the raft and been more than happy.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Glad you had a blast... Try hoppers or stimulators off the drop-offs if you visit there again in late summer.
Steve
That's what I'm really wanting to do! For this trip, they had definitely moved off the ledges and into deeper water.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Great report thanks Ale!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Good report and glad you had fun.
It is a fun lake to fish. Wind can certainly be an issue there.
Have had it go both ways there multiple times, glass to whitecaps and whitecaps to glass.
If you are ever there in late May or early June, make sure to have some ant patterns with you.
SF

Paul_

Life of the Party
Well, I need to start using another weather app.
The Windy app is what I’ve found to be the most accurate up there.
I also compare different sources-

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good report and glad you had fun.
It is a fun lake to fish. Wind can certainly be an issue there.
Have had it go both ways there multiple times, glass to whitecaps and whitecaps to glass.
If you are ever there in late May or early June, make sure to have some ant patterns with you.
SF

Yeah, I've read that it can swirl around a bit. For the most part, it stayed pretty consistent that day in direction but we did get some breaks in speed from time to time.

I do plan on going back again this fall and will hit spring and summer as well. I'll have to pick up some ant patterns for sure.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The Windy app is what I’ve found to be the most accurate up there.
I also compare different sources-

Awesome, thank you! I'll check Windy out.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That's what I'm really wanting to do! For this trip, they had definitely moved off the ledges and into deeper water.

I've had the best surface luck down at the launch side. The concentration of fish is almost all rainbows there but they are eager to come up on the shallow rock reefs. I've only rarely made it to the far side. There seemed to be more cuts there that were a beautiful fine speckled yellow look. However wind and finding fish on the way has almost always kept me from going all the way down.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've had the best surface luck down at the launch side. The concentration of fish is almost all rainbows there but they are eager to come up on the shallow rock reefs. I've only rarely made it to the far side. There seemed to be more cuts there that were a beautiful fine speckled yellow look. However wind and finding fish on the way has almost always kept me from going all the way down.

Thanks man, that's good to know. My next trip down there I plan to cover some different areas for sure. This trip was for fishing but mainly for making sure the raft was dialed in and set up as needed. I also wanted to test the life on the motor/battery so decided to make the long run up and down the lake.

The more and more I find on this lake the more amazing it keep getting. Such a beautiful lake and the history behind it just adds to the experience. It's always amazing to be a part of and see how mother nature can rebound with so much beauty after so much destruction.

Islander

Life of the Party
Great report and pictures. That’s a beautiful lake, so getting fish is a bonus. As someone who gets to deal with wind often, I also recommend the Windy app. It’s been fairly reliable here, Wyoming is just a different way to spell wind. The raft looks like a nice set up.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great report and pictures. That’s a beautiful lake, so getting fish is a bonus. As someone who gets to deal with wind often, I also recommend the Windy app. It’s been fairly reliable here, Wyoming is just a different way to spell wind. The raft looks like a nice set up.

Thanks man. Definitely will load the Windy App. Loving the raft so far. Small, light and can be put on the top of my SUV. No trailer needed. Just big enough for two people. Eventually will try and float some rivers but just using it as a lake boat for now. Wanted something that was easy to take to smaller lakes without having to deal with a trailer and/or registration.

xcKnfFUh.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks man. Definitely will load the Windy App. Loving the raft so far. Small, light and can be put on the top of my SUV. No trailer needed. Just big enough for two people. Eventually will try and float some rivers but just using it as a lake boat for now. Wanted something that was easy to take to smaller lakes without having to deal with a trailer and/or registration.

xcKnfFUh.jpg

That fits on there perfect.
Just one suggestion if you aren’t already doing it. Turn your seats around so the back faces the front end of your rig. That way if they ever happen to come unsnapped they’ll still stay folded down. Much better then them being up when you are going 60+ mph.
Don’t ask me how I know. ;)
SF

Skimr

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I’m a Windy app believer. you can zoom in to where you want, tap on the map and get point specific info. Just another great tool in the box.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That fits on there perfect.
Just one suggestion if you aren’t already doing it. Turn your seats around so the back faces the front end of your rig. That way if they ever happen to come unsnapped they’ll still stay folded down. Much better then them being up when you are going 60+ mph.
Don’t ask me how I know. ;)
SF

Good idea! Yeah, this raft fits perfectly and I'm able to tie it down really quick. 4 straps and I'm good to go,