A Farlows Classic

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
B0FF9D98-425C-4F0E-97B0-99AA82F4F75E_1_105_c.jpeg
Look what arrived in the mail today. A 4 1/4 inch Farlows Eunoch. The reel face has the C. Farlow name, Farlows Holdfast logo and the initials of the prior owner.

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 9.33.32 PM.png

Weighs 13.9 ounces by itself and 17 plus ounces loaded with line and backing so will be a nice counterbalance to my 16 oz 13' Sharpes Bamboo spey rod. I suppose the name shows Farlows had a sense of humor. No ball bearings...

BA5EFA76-4252-4390-A835-C98DD7C54BBC_1_105_c.jpeg

Kado

Steelhead
Just curious....I get hooked up to a steelhead so infrequently, I would hate to lose it because my reel siezed up. I'm assuming all you vintage tackle users are confident in how the reels will work, or do you accept an occasional glich as part of the enjoyment of using classic gear? Or are they so simple that the chances of 'stick' as a fish is running really low?
Cool reel. How old?
Mark

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Look what arrived in the mail today. A 4 1/4 inch Farlows Eunoch. The reel face has the C. Farlow name, Farlows Holdfast logo and the initials of the prior owner.
I suppose the name shows Farlows had a sense of humor. No ball bearings...
That is pretty darn funny. Does it say Eunuch anywhere on it or was that just something for the marketing/packaging back in the day?

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Just curious....I get hooked up to a steelhead so infrequently, I would hate to lose it because my reel siezed up. I'm assuming all you vintage tackle users are confident in how the reels will work, or do you accept an occasional glich as part of the enjoyment of using classic gear? Or are they so simple that the chances of 'stick' as a fish is running really low?
Cool reel. How old?
Mark
Why would it seize up?

Kado

Steelhead
No idea....my knowledge of how reels work is next to nothing. I'm assuming the reel manufacturers come up with better technology for at least some reason...other than just profits. I use very cheap reels for trout...even on my bamboo rods as I see no reason for spending a bunch of money to hold line. The older reels look pretty cool with bamboo....but my grass rods don't necessarily deserve a classic reel just for looks : ).
A winter run steelhead however.....I just spent six hours last weekend in a river that was probably running higher than I should have been wading in....I don't want anything to happen if I get a grab (which I didn't). It just happens for me way too infrequently. If your saying that the old classic reels (with proper care etc) should be no problem...I'd love that. I'd love to get a big heavy reel to balance a couple of my grass spey rods...and it would look pretty cool : ).
It's like a classic car...I love them....but I'd never trust myself to drive across country in one as I know next to nothing about automotive repair.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
No idea....my knowledge of how reels work is next to nothing. I'm assuming the reel manufacturers come up with better technology for at least some reason...other than just profits. I use very cheap reels for trout...even on my bamboo rods as I see no reason for spending a bunch of money to hold line. The older reels look pretty cool with bamboo....but my grass rods don't necessarily deserve a classic reel just for looks : ).
A winter run steelhead however.....I just spent six hours last weekend in a river that was probably running higher than I should have been wading in....I don't want anything to happen if I get a grab (which I didn't). It just happens for me way too infrequently. If your saying that the old classic reels (with proper care etc) should be no problem...I'd love that. I'd love to get a big heavy reel to balance a couple of my grass spey rods...and it would look pretty cool : ).
It's like a classic car...I love them....but I'd never trust myself to drive across country in one as I know next to nothing about automotive repair.
Dentists……. ;-(

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
No idea....my knowledge of how reels work is next to nothing. I'm assuming the reel manufacturers come up with better technology for at least some reason...other than just profits....It's like a classic car...I love them....but I'd never trust myself to drive across country in one as I know next to nothing about automotive repair.
A classic old fly reel landed this...

2CB75F4F-8D0F-4B41-8746-2EBAEEB9C65A_1_105_c.jpeg
and this...
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 2.09.06 PM.png
and this..
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 2.10.07 PM.png
I use old classics for all my trout, cutthroat, steelhead and salt water. I've never lost a fish due to an old reel malfunctioning. I have however, lost a magnificent Queets steelhead and a large mahi-mahi using a mega expensive modern reel provided by a guide which wasn't easily convertible from left to right hand wind on the stream. I was trying to wind with the wrong hand.

Last edited:

Kado

Steelhead
A classic old fly reel landed this...

View attachment 99096
and this...
View attachment 99104
and this..
View attachment 99105
I use old classics for all my trout, cutthroat, steelhead and salt water. I've never lost a fish due to an old reel malfunctioning. I have however, lost a magnificent Queets steelhead and a large mahi-mahi using a mega expensive modern reel provided by a guide which wasn't easily convertible from left to right hand wind on the stream. I was trying to wind with the wrong hand.
Awesome. You give me courage to give one try.....although I bet you've landed a lot more chrome than I have.
Mark