'83 Clackacraft Question???

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm not in the market but I happened to see this for sale and don't ever remember seeing this model.
What really caught my eye was the broad stern. I didn't measure the boat but it almost looks like Clack took a 16 footer and chopped some off the rear end.
My bigger question is I wonder what it would back row like, especially with someone in the rear seat?
Anyone have any experience with this model?
IMG-6589.JPG
IMG-6588.JPG

Hoofer

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Magnum about the same age as this. My take is that it does ok as a traditional drifter, although it was really intended for outboard work. I have limited experience for comparisons, but on a weekend rental, a low profile, dimple-hulled modern Clack seemed like a sports car in comparison, although oars and anchor systems played a role there too. Our Magnum has gone lots of places, and I’ve always thought the boat had plenty of capacity given the right operator.

From https://www.clacka.com/about-us/
It hovered in one spot in the flowing water, slowly backed up, then sprang to life by turning circles in the whitewater and jumping standing waves like a dirt bike. As a grand finale, the little go-cart like boat turned a circle at full throttle and then took aim at the boat launch while going full speed. The momentum caused the Magnum to slide up the asphalt 8-10 feet. The operator then shut off the outboard and stepped out on dry land.

I haven’t tried this in mine. 😃

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
80's-early 90's 14' Clackacraft Magnum, initially designed as a power boat for tidewater to class 2/3. Owned a 16' Magnum I never would have sold if I hadn't moved off the coast.
Hull rocker prevents the 14' from planing easily with an outboard - the 16' had less rocker so planed better. With a 10 hp likely get about 15 mph out of it.
Due to the wide stern and straighter hull profile both 14' and 16 are sluggish under oars, and need directional coaxing when trolling in wind due to wind shear on the lifted bow area.
On the other hand - with their wide beam and high freeboard they very stable and safe boats.
If you could only have one small power boat for lakes, tidewater and easy rivers you wanted to drift, not many better choices.
The new 16' Clack Magnums, essentially fibreglass sleds, are drool worthy..as they should be for 25K good to go

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I found the ad and it says that it's actually a 13' boat.