7 wt rod and reel for bass

SRC&Bassbum

Steelhead
I’m thinking of adding a 7 wt setup for bass. I’m considering an Echo Lift, Redington Vice or Wrangler rod. Also an Echo base reel or Redington Crosswater reel. Does any one have any experience with these? I’d mostly be fishing poppers but maybe some subsurface stuff.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Everyone has their own idea what makes a great set up for Bass. Many factors to consider..fishing river or still water or both? On foot or boat or both? etc...
7 weight is a good choice and my preferred weight. I do not like ultra fast rods for bass, more a medium to medium fast rod taper. I use a 790-4 RPL for the majority of bass fishing when I do target them, which is not very often.
Fly line choice will be important, and there are many out there.

Reactions: Zak

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Bass and glass go hand in hand.

I guess I could have been more specific. Start on the budget end with an Echo BAG 8’ 7wt and work your way up to. Buy once cry once Steffen 8’ 6/7 or 8’6” 7/8 (I don’t have experience with the 7/8 but there’s no shortage of sung praises for it)

WT!

Just Hatched
echo rods just released a new lineup for bass:

The Eight Four Rods could become your favorite bone fish rod… or maybe your favorite carp rod… or maybe your new favorite bass rod….or even your next favorite streamer rod. Echo is sure though that if you cast one of the new Eight Four rods and think they could have done something more to help you hit a target….. they are going to want to talk.

• 6wt 8’4” ECHO 84B – 684
  • 7wt 8’4” ECHO 84B – 784
  • 8wt 8’4” ECHO 84B – 784

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Bass and glass go hand in hand.

I guess I could have been more specific. Start on the budget end with an Echo BAG 8’ 7wt and work your way up to. Buy once cry once Steffen 8’ 6/7 or 8’6” 7/8 (I don’t have experience with the 7/8 but there’s no shortage of sung praises for it)
As a proud owner of both the BAG 7wt and Steffen 7/8, yes!

Not just bass, but carp, steelhead, and everything in between! For both rods. The Steffen is a few notches above any 8wt I've played with. There's a reason I got rid of my H3....

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It wasn’t made out of fiberglass?
Almost true, but I DO still use some graphite for certain applications...it WAS collecting dust though. Now a buddy of mine in TX uses it for carp.