2 flies

T

Tombraider

Ok, I see plenty of dropper flies, 2 flies fished in lakes or streams. Is it worth the effort.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes for streams at least. A lot more productive—one of those things where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Not much effort, either, once you’re used to it.

Point fly can act as a sea anchor and slow your drift, you can fish different depths, you can have one be the attractor and the other the natural that gets eaten, one can be your depth gauge, two different life stages, dry dropper…the list goes on.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Yes, it's worth the effort, lake and stream. I fish 2 flies 60% of the time, 3 20%, one 20%. To start, keep your droppers short 4-6", no more than 8". Using a taper, such as 3x to first fly, 4x to second, makes it more castable. A slower rod works better for me, keep your loops open. A fast rod bounces when walking and handling and tends to tangle more often. The long "downward tag" from a double or triple surgeons knot makes a fine dropper. Use a 5 turn uniknot to put a new dropper on above a knot. Jake has some great use options listed.

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
For me the only time I use two flies is lake fishing with an indicator. For some unknown reason the fish won’t bite unless there’s two flies! I tie a loop knot in the top chironomid and another loop knot in the top fly for the point fly.

EmergingFisher

Life of the Party
Stillwater: I will sometimes tie a smaller nymph or spider (especially a Gill Candy) behind a wooly bugger. It's effective but can get messy pulling a streamer with a dropper as they can get tangled up.

Rivers: after last season I am committed to dry/dropper rigs in the summer. A simple spider pattern or small nymph (rainbow warrior for sure) tied on a short drop (maybe 8") was absolutely killer for me last summer. Obviously not ideal with small dries, but anything that can float with a dropper, I am tying one on. Again, tangles will happen. If you tie, consider tying a tippet ring onto your bigger dries (chubby Chernobyl) to tie the dropper tippet to.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For me it's rarely worth it. I've lost some of the better fish I've hooked by having them tangle up and snag themselves on one of the two. Plus the extra rigging time makes it not worth it to me. Not to say I won't do it again or that there are certain situations where is good like a hopper dropper or the like.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I only really fish rivers. Other than dry dropper, which I do frequently, I rarely fish two flies.

The rivers that I frequent are all high gradient freestones and it's hard enough to get a good drift with one nymph. Adding an extra nymph ruins the drift, more often than not, because they pull on each other. I also don't like to fish multiple streamers, because I think it is better to focus on getting a good presentation with one fly.

Over the last couple of years, the only times I have fished two flies are when I had to; fishing eggs or size 20 BWOs that don't have enough weight on their own.

If I was spending more time on lower gradient spring creeks or tail waters, I wouldn't hesitate to run two flies.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
almost always use two flies on lakes...usually double chroms or balanced leech/chrom...a Caddis dry and nymph combo can be especially effective on East Lake and Paulina, never know which one will get the grab

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Today's rig was pretty normal for me, heavy on bottom, smaller above. About 15" apart. Patterns change as fishes preference does.
20230314_twofly.jpg

Last edited:

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I fish two flies often…usually leech/soft hackle, nymphs or dry/droppers…and occasionally even streamers, usually a dark one and a white one…whichever one gets bit more stays on.

DFG

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If I'm nymphing on the Yak or the Deschutes, my typical rig is a well weighted Pat's rubberlegs, with a dropper matching one of the bugs du jour. (This could be a caddis pupa, a mayfly or a midge. My usual go-to is a pheasant tail, copper John, prince or zebra midge.)

On lakes I still use 2 flies, (although not stonefly nymphs) without the need for the top fly to be heavily weighted.

When top water fishing with dries I only go to 2 flies if the one I want is too small to see well (especially in moving water and bad light). I might pair my chosen fly with a chubby chernobyl, a Clark's stone or a stimmi... anything that won't alarm the fish or induce drag should work fine.

At the end of the day (or at the end of the line) it is the fish that decides what works and what won't. I'd advise trying out a bunch of things and find what works for you and the fish you're targeting.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Thursday and today I did some testing, on stocked trout. During an active feeding period the 2 fly setup caught fish at a 2:1 ratio over the single fly. I mixed up the leeches (used others as well) and fished them in both position, and the bottom fly took almost all the fish both days. During the "dead" between feed periods the two fly rig still drew a couple fish while the single fly didn't do squat. My chironomids didn't do squat either.

Attachments

• 20230318_peacockleech.jpg
    20230318_peacockleech.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230318_blkongleech.jpg
    20230318_blkongleech.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 7

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Oh, but not up in British Columbia, eh, they call it the $150.00 cocktail.