12 wt blank suggestion for tropical fishing and/or tuna

Kado

Steelhead
I made a couple rods using the Sage Maverick blanks and am really happy with the way they feel, but I'm not sure I need to spend that kind of money for a 12 wt blank....or maybe I do? Any help is appreciated.
Mark

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
North Fork Composites makes a nice S2 glass blank. @clarkman had so much fun with tuna on his that I ordered one for myself.

I plan to use it for tarpon in a few months, too.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yep, great deal, super tough rods, you won't win any casting contests, but even my 10wt was handling the albacore last summer just fine. I liked it so much, I ended up with another 10, an 8, a 5 and the 12 that I had finished this last year so next year, my 12 will also get a workout.

oh, they're really fun too.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
yep, great deal, super tough rods, you won't win any casting contests, but even my 10wt was handling the albacore last summer just fine. I liked it so much, I ended up with another 10, an 8, a 5 and the 12 that I had finished this last year so next year, my 12 will also get a workout.

oh, they're really fun too.
I went with the 12wt because I have dream of trying GT on it.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
CTS out of New Zealand have outstanding blanks as well and is what I plan to get for my next 12wt!

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
IMO what I tell guys is that in general the bigger the rod the more I tend toward higher quality gear. I say that because as you go up in line weight you are also going up in size and toughness of fish you are chasing. When you get to 10wts and up I start to think things like bull redifsh, jacks, tarpon, big sharks, tuna and to me that is not the place for lesser quality gear.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I love my NFC iconoglass too, but I guess we should ask what you plan to use it for

Edit: disregard. It’s in the title.

Last edited:

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In general, the bigger the rod size the more I tend toward recommending top quality gear because the application for those tools go with tough fish and often ones that are pricey to chase.

For example, I get asked all the time what rod I would suggest for a guy headed to the Keys for a week tarpon fishing. Has 5 days booked with a guide (and some of them are now over a grand a day!!) and want a rod for less than $XX. Doesn't mean you can't catch a tarpon etc on a more budget friendly tool but you need to factor in the entire cost/benefit and risk factors. Now take this exact scenario and switch it from the Key for tarpon to the Seychelles for GTs. Guys going to spend $10K and more then want budget gear.....lol

Kado

Steelhead
In general, the bigger the rod size the more I tend toward recommending top quality gear because the application for those tools go with tough fish and often ones that are pricey to chase.

For example, I get asked all the time what rod I would suggest for a guy headed to the Keys for a week tarpon fishing. Has 5 days booked with a guide (and some of them are now over a grand a day!!) and want a rod for less than $XX. Doesn't mean you can't catch a tarpon etc on a more budget friendly tool but you need to factor in the entire cost/benefit and risk factors. Now take this exact scenario and switch it from the Key for tarpon to the Seychelles for GTs. Guys going to spend $10K and more then want budget gear.....lol
My tropical fishing is very limited, but while the guide's Scott Sector felt lighter to cast, I didn't have any trouble with my humble Maverick. Are the NFC blanks that much different? I figure the money I save in the rod, I could use on casting lessons. All the advice I've received says to go with the best reels I can afford, so i'm collecting Tibors. Do you really feel spending an extra $900 on the rod is worth it for an 11 wt and a 12 wt? I can do it....just want to know that the value is actually there.
Thanks,
Mark

Bagman

Steelhead
My tropical fishing is very limited, but while the guide's Scott Sector felt lighter to cast, I didn't have any trouble with my humble Maverick. Are the NFC blanks that much different? I figure the money I save in the rod, I could use on casting lessons. All the advice I've received says to go with the best reels I can afford, so i'm collecting Tibors. Do you really feel spending an extra $900 on the rod is worth it for an 11 wt and a 12 wt? I can do it....just want to know that the value is actually there.
Thanks,
Markjust buying a rod you can buy a nice 12 wt for a lot less the $900. I bought a Taibor Pacific and a Sage XPLXi 12wt for less the $900.
are you going to make yourself a rod or buy one? $900 seem like a lot for a blank

Kado

Steelhead
are you going to make yourself a rod or buy one? $900 seem like a lot for a blank
can't get any Sage blanks right now. The Winston salt water blanks are available...around $450..., but .....if the NFC blank is even 80% as good....with my casting ability....I'm thinking NFC.
I was thinking $900 for purchase of a completed rod vs a blank.
I'm going to get a chance to talk to a guide on Oahu pretty soon and see what he thinks. I really like that Maverick, even the 10 wt. I'm pretty sure I could cast it all day pretty easily. Not sure about a 12 wt. Ehhh....I'm blathering with indecision. My wife (15 mins ago) just green lighted for me to go to the Seychelles if I want to....now I have to weigh three topical trips vs one trip to the Seychelles....and I'm a tropical newb. Geez...I suppose it's a good problem to have.....as long as WW III doesn't break out.
I'm going to go get another beer.