Search results

1. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

That is the date I am hoping for. I will be getting back from a week of fishing in Kamloops BC on the 8th.
  2. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

What date did we agree on?
  3. J

Oyster Bamboo rods

True, Oyster rods won't catch any more fish, but sometimes it is about the art.
  4. J

Oyster Bamboo rods

Has anyone out there acquired a Bill Oyster bamboo fly rod? If so, are they as beautiful as they appear on their internet site. I have been drooling over them for some time. So far, I have been able to resist, it's a financial issue. One of those things in life that you don't really need...
  5. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Did everyone see the thread "Past Bamboo Gathering"? I think it would add something to the Bamboo Fling if we held it at a place where we could cast a fly and fish. I am not interested in spending $300 for a permit though. I am sure we could find something. Think about it and let's talk...
  6. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Tell me is there a cure for an addiction to acquiring bamboo fly rods? I picked up another one yesterday. Like many of us I have some nice old rods and some nice new ones also some that were just fun to acquire and rebuild. Looking forward to the Bamboo Fling.
  7. J

Rescue, maybe…

Looks like a straight forward fix. To do it right you will have to remove the stripping guide so that you can put on a new cork grip. The hole in the cork grip will have to be reamed to fit the taper of the bamboo. The new reel seat will be put on first from the butt end. Make sure you align...
  8. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Maybe next year.
  9. J

Local retailer for YLI Silk thread?

I hate buying things off the internet. I prefer to walk in look at the material or item, wiggle, touch it and think about it, before buying it. I know I can often get a better price from an internet site, but I like the brick-and-mortar store. Unfortunately, these days, some things can only...
  10. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Thanks for the reminder. I sent her an Email.
  11. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Anyone know how to make Oliva Elia aware of the Bamboo Fling? I plan to show off the rod she built for me. It would been nice if she could be there to show off some more of her work.
  12. J

NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

I read some of the comments before I watched the video. I wasn't sure where the video might go. I started working with environmental issues in 1970. We need to ask ourselves what we are willing to give up. If we all stopped the activities that we cherish so much what would happen to our...
  13. J

Bamboo Fling 2024

Nice to see someone else has picked up the ball and put the Bamboo Fling on the calendar. I will be getting back from a week of fishing near Kamloops BC on the 5th. If I can unload from one trip and load up for the Fling in time, I will do my best and try to make it. I was talking to a fellow...
  14. J

Spine for bamboo fly rods.

I am planning to offer a bamboo rod building class for my fly-fishing club over the winter. We/I don't have the tools or skills to build the blanks from scratch so we would be buying the blanks. I was talking to one of the people that would be taking the class today and he asked me if bamboo...
  15. J

Drunk boating

The individual operating the boat should always be sober. A single beer may not hurt but combine that with the sun, heat and wind and things could go south real quick. I have been on boats with many people over the years (more than 60 years) and a time or 2 found myself the only sober one on...
  16. J

Damaged my spring creek pram/repair help needed

I would not use MarineTex. That is just a filler without much added strength. I would grind away most of any lose fiberglass and lay up a layer of fiberglass cloth on both inside and the outside, fair it in. I would use epoxy resin rather than polyester, It bonds better in repair situations...
  17. J

Got a bamboo rod

Looks to be bamboo to me. I think someone may have used sandpaper to remove the varnish in the past and rounded the bamboo a little. I am concerned about the use of "shellac" as a finish. Shellac doesn't offer must water protection.
  18. J

Just joined the cane club

Welcome to the world of bamboo fly rods. There are some rods that have such value that you should try to keep it as original as you can. Any change can diminish the value. The rod you have I would consider a "trade rod" and if you refinish it I would use modern guides and modern spacing for...
  19. J

2023 Bamboo Fling?

Looks like everyone had a good time. nice photos, sorry I couldn't make it this year. What do you guys think about having the fling in Kitsap County next year? Before covid we held it Island Lake in Silverdale and it seemed to work well. We could hold it May so we might be able to catch a...
  20. J

2023 Bamboo Fling?

Due to a last-minute change with a family coming to visit I am going to have to miss this year's Bamboo Fling. Have a good time, hope to make it next year.