Search results

1. SSPey

NFR NBA 2024

Though Jimmy Butler is the team’s leader, the Miami Heat’s win-loss percentage this season is slightly better without Jimmy on the court. A testament to a well-coached, disciplined team. The rough-and-tumble nature of playoff ball doesn’t always benefit those teams (and individuals) with the...
  2. SSPey

gear price jumps

Find out who the regional rep is and contact them
  3. SSPey

gear price jumps

around 20 years ago, a friend involved in domestic fly line production lamented to me that the packaging cost more than the fly lines themselves. Let that sink in. It is hard to imagine that’s changed. And another who built a fly line extruder and is now selling flylines domestically, one...
  4. SSPey

NFR NBA 2024

The refs made sure the 76ers wouldn’t have that opportunity https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/knicks-vs-76ers-nba-report-says-refs-made-multiple-mistakes-against-philly-in-loss-that-led-to-grievance/
  5. SSPey

Why not a motor?

My 17.5’ aluminum sled is advertised as a dual-purpose “power/rowing” boat of the sort this thread has drifted towards. Called a jet drifter, but realistically it is 99% jet and 1% drifter. A small jet boat with oars. 2 outboards (main, kicker) and no rocker makes the stern very sluggish to...
  6. SSPey

Why not a motor?

Generally agree with Evan, but there’s lots of different kinds of rivers in the world. Near me, 8-9.9hp motors often push driftboats upriver through modest riffles to access good holes above boat ramps, before floaters make it down. Usually they can only get 2-3 holes upriver before an impasse...
  7. SSPey

Tippet spool management

I use 2 wide rubber bands, overlapping a little, with the mono sticking up between them. It grips the mono extremely well. I like the rubber bands that come with broccoli
  8. SSPey

North Fork Stillaguamish and the loss of its "bugs"

a final nutrient treatise (this is my sub-specialty in science) Across multiple studies in WA, OR, ID, and BC where nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus) have been added experimentally to streams, there have been inconsistent responses of algal growth. Many sites show more algal growth, but 1/3 of...
  9. SSPey

The literature agrees with all this, the answer is “it depends” in many ways … on when, where, how, and which organisms are considered. Context-dependent is the usual caveat. The whole salmon-nutrient story eludes over-simplification.
  10. SSPey

Although nitrogen and phosphorus are necessary for algal productivity, it is also really helps to have limestone (i.e., calcium) somewhere in the bedrock for high insect productivity that feeds trout (e.g., Montana in map below, and notable areas in midwest and eastern US). The presence of...
  11. FC9C7E52-9811-4F4E-86AC-1CE928A83AE8.png

FC9C7E52-9811-4F4E-86AC-1CE928A83AE8.png

12. SSPey

The good boat deal thread

Mercury 4 stroke 90 hp powerheads of that vintage were made by Yamaha
  13. SSPey

I can’t be the only person here who learned about the IBI from Jim Karr at U WA? Anyway, coarse compositional data from the paper noted above.
  14. 24E54A59-9D2B-4473-BF56-1EA4A0EDB904.jpeg

24E54A59-9D2B-4473-BF56-1EA4A0EDB904.jpeg

15. SSPey

T&T HS908S Grain Window?

I fish HS rods 6 thru 10 wt, its the main single-hand salt/steel/salmon quiver that I accumulated in the late 90s. Your 2 pc is a little softer in the top than the more prevalent 4 pc. These rods are highly adaptable and will gladly cast the typical 1/2-overweighted modern lines. I use...
  16. SSPey

NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

The enshrinement of corn ethanol as de facto national policy also occurred at this time, under the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Eventual transition to non-corn was stipulated, too, but has failed. An example where systemic change has failed to occur, even when legislated.
  17. SSPey

Little history: Corn ethanol was never intended as an end-game for biofuels, it was just a convenient starter crop, proof of concept. Corn was chosen because the crop breeding was mature, farmers could grow it, production / fermentation were scalable, and it was politically palatable. But...
  18. SSPey

Part of the high cost is lack of development of the product for 40-50 years. Likewise, sell fossil fuel for its real cost (someone elaborated on this in a prior post) and the 4x factor shrinks fast
  19. SSPey

I’m not sure that anyone is grounding flights because of CO2 emissions, but we’ve lost 40-50 years of progress towards alternatives in all sorts of ways because of big oil’s lies and obfuscation, and it is still an uphill battle. We know how to make jet fuel from logging slash piles, think of...