Search results

1. B

Forgot I had this….

I have a RP 696-2 from the mid 1980s, always cast better with a 7 WF line. Beautifully finished rod for sure. Excellent summer steelhead rod on the D back in the days when I could wade that river. Now it is just gathering dust. Sad.
  2. B

Coldwater closed

They had porta potties there when I fished the lake second week in May. True about the vandalism, just such wasteful and pointless behavior.
  3. B

Installed an anchor trolley on my Nucanoe Flint kayak

I have been using the same anchor trolley on my Native Watercraft for several years now and could not be happier. Also highly recommend the Anchor Wizard, just so much more convenient for handling anchor rope. I went with just the crank mounted on the right hand side of the kayak, didn't want to...
  4. B

NFR What Are You Reading

I am reading it currently and finding it quite moving, especially having have visited Manzanar and the small towns along 395. For another read on the same subject, try Farewell to Manzanar, written by a woman who lived at Manzanar as a child. It will break your heart, the photos alone are worth it.
  5. B

1st trip report

l was up there yesterday, wind was pretty mild, but water temps are still high, I was just out for a kayak paddle, no fishing. Saw one aluminum boat trolling in the afternoon.
  6. B

SFR Man with a plan for a better future!

I installed a solar system in 2017, 8100 watt size, ground mount. It covers half of our utility costs which include a heat pump, electric furnace back up, electric clothes dryer and water heater. Total cost was $29,000, so just a little over $1000 per panel. I received a 30% tax credit as well...
  7. B

Lost flyrod today

Oh man. I have done the same thing. Left my Sage RP696-2 with Sage 508 reel on top of my 4Runner fishing the Deschutes upstream from Maupin. Had decided to head up to a different run, parked, got out of car to walk down to fish and realized I had put the rod on top of rig. Got back into 4Runner...
  8. B

586 fly rods

Orvis Henry's Fork, vintage 1986. Light as a feather, slow dreamlike action.
  9. B

NFR What Are You Reading

I just finished the last CJ Box seriess with some very topical observations on PDX, OR. I am now reading the Paul Doiron series that are kind of similar to the CJ Box series but set in Maine, also a Game Warden as the protagonist. So far quite entertaining and well written, only downside is my...
  10. B

Won a Middle Fork Salmon permit!

Oh my gosh, I had planned to reply to this weeks ago and just forgot. To read of the excitement of getting a MIddle Fork Permit brings back memories of my first float on that river back in 1974. I was a second year med student at the time and managed to get summer off that year to run the...
  11. B

The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

If I am just mindlessly trolling along, I troll forward, rod in right hand, left hand close to my rudder control. Usually though I am working drop offs, I will position myself facing the shoreline, make long casts, count down for depth, and then slowly pedal backwards or sometimes anchor up and...
  12. B

I would agree. I use my Native because I can access large lakes with ease, also can cruise over to feeding fish pretty quickly and see what's going on. But I fished out of a Super FatCat for years and I really think I catch more fish using it. Better set up for fishing with pockets on each side...
  13. B

SOLD SOLD Sage RPL 590-4 NEW

Wow, what a buy. I have fished the same rod for over 30 years and never wanted for anything else. To find such a rod in new condition now, simply amazing. I bought the same rod in a 6 weight ten years ago, hate to admit I have not used it that much because the 5 weight casts 6 weight lines just...
  14. B

Yes, I am using the YakAttack version of the anchor trolley with the Anchor wizard. I am using just the low profile Anchor wizard mounted on the track to the right of my seat. The anchor line runs through a Harken pully and then into the wizard. I have thought about an accessory anchor because...
  15. B

I fish from a Native Slayer Propel 13 and it is perfectly stable for standing and fishing. Alas, at age 71 I am not. What I have found useful when I am anchored up and fishing chiros is to pull up the prop and use it as a brace. It gives me a chance to change positions and there is better...
  16. B

Brrrr Lake

If I read the regulations correctly, that lake is a drone free zone. And it should be.
  17. B

NFR For Those on Medicare/Specifically Kaiser Plan…. Help appreciated!

We moved to Olympia in 2014. My wife was a Kaiser MD and when we got married back in 2012 I changed over to Kaiser. We had two residences and kept our Kaiser coverage using our Portland house to stay in the Kaiser Perm. NW area. We were very happy when Kaiser purchased Group Health and I have...
  18. B

There is not a fishing kayak around that I can cartop, anything over about 50 pounds is just too much lifting. I store and transport my Native on a trailer. I use the Sidekick wheels for launching, pretty easy. I just park at the launch area, click in all my personal gear, pull the kayak off the...
  19. B

I have owned a Slayer Propel 13 for maybe 5-6 years and use it for lakes. It has been stable, reasonably fast, and having an immediate reverse is pretty important, can't imagine screwing around pulling a cord to get into reverse. I understand the Hobie Mirage system is faster than a pedal...