Search results

1. J

2024 NOF

Will the Sky forks remain open for trout?
  2. J

2024 NOF

No Skykomish kings for sport anglers is a huge waste of money, especially with all the renovations at the hatchery. Why are we dumping millions of dollars into raising dumb hatchery fish when sport anglers get no opportunity? Are they just raising them for whale food? No surprises in the salt...
  3. J

REMINDER TO GET APPROPRIATE FISHING LICENSES & PARKING PASSES!

I just buy my combo license and punch cards every year. Have never bought a discover pass since it was introduced a few years ago. I usually just hang up my yellow WDFW access pass that comes with my license and call it good if I need to park at a place like a state park that requires a...
  4. J

Litter

Our state has a major dog shit problem. Ive found so much dog shit alongside trails, on beaches, and on river banks and it drives me nuts. People think it decomposes, but there is plenty of research that makes it clear that it actually adds harmful waste that is detrimental to the environment.
  5. J

2024 NOF

Looks like the Sky might be really restricted to fishing this summer again because of those king returns. Will be interesting to see how they manage MA 7/9/10 this summer too. I would not expect a long season for the boat anglers going after kings.
  6. J

Puget Sound

Blackmouth. In some spots, it was pretty good fishing for them off the beach in the 90s in May/June according to my family fishing log. We can’t fish for them now because only a fraction of those fish are still around now.
  7. J

Basic Survival Skills for a Flyfisherman Just Learning to Swim

Even when I fish the beach, I usually keep safety in mind and at least pay attention to my surroundings since you never know how fast things can get dangerous. Even some of those big waves caused by barges or cruise ships in the sound could be dangerous if your not paying attention or have...
  8. J

What fishing are you dreaming of right now?

Fishing in the sound when MA 9 opens back up next summer. Those July and August days fishing for rezzies and the sun is setting. All of a sudden a big king rolls right and front of you and you get all excited. That’s the reason why I keep on coming back year after year.
  9. J

over-rated vs. under-rated

Overrated: Carp (basically one giant goldfish), resident coho (they are fun and all but are nothing compared to their ocean run counterparts) Underrated: Ocean run Coho (you never know what type of fight you will get), Humpies (they fight the best pound for pound), and Hatchery brat steelhead.
  10. J

2024 Fishing Aspirations

In 2023, I adopted a home river and caught my first cutts on a dry fly. In 2024, I’m hoping on learning that river more and exploring other ones as well. It’s gonna be Year 3 of fly fishing for me. I’m also gonna add nymphing into my repertoire.
  11. FDD0860C-4E7D-4438-B838-2D67B4C13080.jpeg

FDD0860C-4E7D-4438-B838-2D67B4C13080.jpeg

12. J

Snohomish and Stillaguamish Chinook take another hit

Is this worse than it was in November ‘21? I don’t remember it too well, but seems like that flood didn’t have much of an impact on the 2023 pink run (but perhaps showed in poorer returns like the Nooksack?)
  13. J

College Football 2023

Was briefly considering going to the Sugar Bowl, since I could get student tickets (which are only $5!). But all other costs would make me broke. I was definitely planning on driving down to the Rose Bowl with my dad since it would have been more affordable. I had bought two tickets before the...
  14. J

College Football 2023

Will be interesting to see whether the Dawgs end up in the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl. Whether they are #1 or 2, playing either FSU, Bama, or Texas would make playing in New Orleans feel like a road game. Meanwhile it looks like that can very well happen if Michigan gets the #1 spot since they...
  15. J

College Football 2023

Best Huskies team in my lifetime (born in ‘01). Tears of joy seeing this team win like this. My grandpa who owned season tickets for decades would have been very proud seeing this team. To all of you who have followed the Huskies longer than I have: Would you now say that Penix is the greatest...
  16. J

College Football 2023

I was at the Apple Cup and was really impressed by him. I thought he outplayed Penix in that game as he had some nice throws into tight spaces including one that was a perfectly placed ball at the end of the 1st half for a TD. I wouldn’t be shocked if he sneaks into the draft.
  17. J

Why do you fly fish?

To me it has always been an outlet. I was lucky to not have it rough growing up, but still went through tough times like all humans. In seasons where things aren’t going well, fishing will always be there. Almost as a way to get away from the world. For fly fishing specifically, I picked it up...
  18. J

Non-Fly Jig Twitching - What you all doin!?

Question for all you jig twitchers: Do you guys find scent to be effective? I have made some hoochie jigs for myself and am wondering if scent can make a difference. The reason why I am asking is because I’ve never really used scent, outside of trolling for Kokanee or trout. When I use...
  19. J

Petition: Statewide Protection of Resident Forms of Wild Steelhead

Closing our streams isn’t gonna do anything. All of the streams that have been closed for the purposes of letting fish runs recover have still been closed for decades and the fish still aren't back. The proposed rules aren't gonna save any fish. Instead, it will just lead to more closures and...