Search results

1. S

NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Looks like Jared Isaacman's (Shift4 Payments/Drakken International) Dornier Alphajet. He also owns Paul Allen's former MiG-29UB painted similar which he bases out of Bozeman and flies around to airshows with the Black Diamond Jet Team. Talk about carbon footprint :LOL:
  2. S

NFR Trucks?

I recently looked at a 2023 Frontier Pro4X with about 12,000 miles on it thinking it might be a viable replacement for my Tacoma. I know a lot of people have great experiences with Frontiers, but it really didn't speak to me. The amount of surface rust on the driveshaft was absurd, my Tacoma has...
  3. S

NFR Trucks?

In a somewhat similar boat. Have an early second gen Tacoma with over 300,000 miles on it now. Looking to get a newer rig with safety enhancements and hang on to the Tacoma as well. Quickly found out that limiting yourself to only naturally aspirated engines these days is going to severely...
  4. S

Dismal on the 'Duc - Coho management failure

I believe there are a handful of rivers in southern Oregon where harvesting of wild steelhead is still allowed. Very limited in scope. I recall there being an effort to do away with it a few years ago, but the regional bios said the impact was insignificant to the population and there wasn’t a...
  5. S

C&R record steelhead

I think Idaho just created a new C&R category based on length a few years ago, so it's likely to be bested before too long. Don't think this one is going to be making it to the spawning gravel though. This specimen probably wouldn't really have generated too much interest 50 years ago prior to...
  6. S

Simms Bought for $192 Million

There's a lot of corporate speak and financial hijinkery in that press release, but "Vista" will be retaining ownership of Simms and then rebranding the new parent company holding the brands that it is keeping as "Revelyst" (wonder how much they paid to come up with that name). The company will...
  7. S

36" Brown

I've never had any problems with folks fishing there...it actually can be fun if you have the right mindset and realize what it is you're doing. What I have a problem with is people posting up the videos for views and internet glory and not stating the facts behind what is depicted.
  8. S

36" Brown

Well...to be fair, the one depicted here was caught on a river in Colorado (hint: think color) floating through a section owned by a Wall Street hedge fund billionaire that stocks and feeds the fish on a section of artificially enhanced river. The location in the video is literally adjacent to...
  9. S

Weird things in the woods

You almost certainly encountered EA-6s or EA-18s from Whidbey flying on the infamous VR1350 and VR1355 route. These are low level high speed training routes through the Cascades. There are a number of videos you can watch on YouTube filmed from the aircraft flying this route.
  10. S

Wading boot laces

Look up Ironlace Unbreakable...expensive but will last a very, very long time.
  11. S

SFR FF Gear + PFAS?

Just as an FYI, if you're needing to refresh the water repellant finish on your outerwear/waders, Nikwax TX.Direct is probably the most widely available PFC-free product out there right now. It doesn't last as long as factory DWR coatings using C8/C6 PFAs but that's a small sacrifice. It also...
  12. S

North Umpqua closed 'til Dec 1

If you really want to get angry have a read: Winchester Dam Repairs Begin Despite Permitting Irregularities, Collapsing Summer Steelhead Run, and Fears of Another Fish Kill Winchester Dam needs to go...massive impacts on the river system to benefit very few.
  13. S

OP Steelhead Face ESA Listing

Ahh...it's that time of the year again...when photos of booted out hatchery "B" run steelhead flood the Instagram after being yanked off redds by beads. All is right in the steelhead world. This fishery is essentially the equivalent of visiting a prostitute to "get yer fix". It's not a...
  14. S

Lodge Recommendations

I would recommend grabbing a copy of Trey Combs' classic "Steelhead Fly Fishing" from 1991. Jump to the chapters on the rivers and read them. There are chapters on the Bulkley, Sustut, Babine, and Kispiox among others. Not so much for "where-to" but to help you understand the nature of each...
  15. S

Lodge Recommendations

I've spent a fair bit of time in Skeena country over the last 13 years. Never used a lodge, but virtually all of them are reputable operations given the nature of the guiding/permitting system there. You need to define what you want from your experience a bit more...do you want to be pampered...
  16. S

New sage coming out soon?

Sage FTX...the first metaverse based fly rod fully backed by blockchain technology.
  17. S

Public Access (NY Times)

This is also what is interesting to me. Take Colorado, for example, where making contact with the river bottom on private land is trespassing (i.e. landowners own the river bottom). However, you can float through private property as long as you don't contact the river bottom (i.e. on navigable...
  18. S

Skeena 2022?

May be misunderstanding your statement, but DFO authorized numerous days of netting (gill net and seine) in the Skeena entry this year. About two solid weeks straight in late July and early August at the peak of steelhead migration window due to the sockeye run being a week or two late. They...
  19. S

Far Bank is a tad different since it's owned by the Joshua Green Corporation, which is basically a private equity firm based in Seattle but they seem to be less interested in dumping their businesses after a few years than most PE firms. I think Joshua Green Corp has owned Sage since the early...
  20. S

They rejected my generous offer of $169,999,999.99. Real question to me is how long before Vista shareholders file a petition to have management study the feasibility of moving all wader production offshore to maximize shareholder value of the acquisition?