Search results

1. JohnB

Stillie gamefish opportunities.

Man, as a fish biologist that works in habitat restoration I'd highly dispute that river habitat is anywhere close to damn decent in the PNW. There are some exceptions but not many in the area I work.
  2. JohnB

Snotel is gone! "bummer"

It still exists, they just rejiggered their links. For example below is a link for the statewide basin map. Washington overall Snotel
  3. JohnB

It's a jungle out there!

Not being a jet boat angler how involved is towing a boat in a river? It hasn't been much of a deal for me in the saltchuck but I assume it's a bit more involved in the river?
  4. JohnB

NFR "The Hypocrite" TGR film about advocacy/fossil fuels/Outdoor State

Thanks for the video Adam. I appreciated it.
  5. JohnB

salmon restoration

I hesitate to speak about a project that I don't know anything about, but it is the internet so here I go. First I as a fish squeezer/biologist I'd want to thank your buddy for providing access to some of the local biologists. Help from private landowners is key to working with fish! I pulled...
  6. 1701909034971.png

1701909034971.png

7. 1701908915382.png

1701908915382.png

8. JohnB

U.S. drafts plan to bring grizzly bears back to Washington’s North Cascades (WAPO)

I'm no bear biologist but my assumption is that it's due to a combination of age of maturity (a quick Google says 3-8 years for grizz, 2 years for wolves), lower fecundity compared to wolves (1-4 offspring for grizz, 4-7 for wolves), length of time the offspring stay with mom(grizz 2-3 years...
  9. JohnB

Experience as a guide?

Clients vastly prefer to fish for salmon by using downriggers and they think mooching is dumb. :D:D
  10. JohnB

Non-Fly Buzz bomb/Rotator Hooks

Gami BRBs are my go to as well. Although after SF posted the Matzuo hooks I've got a sinking feeling I've got a 100 pack squirreled away somewhere and I didn't need to buy a bunch of BRBs in the past few years.
  11. JohnB

NFR Les Schwab is 💩 Now

My wife took her mom's mid size SUV into the Twisp Les Schwab for a spring tire swap. Schwab that her summer tires were so worn down they wouldn't swap them on for her winters, but they had some good affordable all seasons for $1200. She pointed out that they had at least 3-4 mm above the wear...
  12. JohnB

Winthrup Advice - Car Camping/Small Stream 2 wt

I'm not trying to continue to harp on your points I swear! As another FYI the road to Harts Pass is currently washed out, but may be good to go at some point in July. It's worth a call to the FS to make sure it's open.
  13. JohnB

Winthrup Advice - Car Camping/Small Stream 2 wt

The area around the Tawlks-Foster Suspension bridge is closed water except from December 1 to February 28 when it is open for targeting whitefish is legal. It might be a bit cold waiting for the sun to get off the water at that point.
  14. JohnB

BBQ Salmon... foil or direct on the grill?

As a member of the inland NW I almost said something incredibly rude that may be a banable offense. Fortunately I managed to control myself.
  15. JohnB

Spring Bear

That's some cool looking terrain. Thanks for sharing CP.
  16. JohnB

Providence Atoll, Seychelles (April 2023)

Yep, time for my semi-annual reevaluation of my life choices.
  17. JohnB

NFR Has anyone heard from Old Man Jim? Update: RIP OMJ. Give ‘em hell wherever you are!

I never fished with Jim or got advice from him on blue lines to check out, but this summer I'll make an effort to get out to a few I've been meaning to take a look at. Thanks for the laughs through the years Jim.
  18. JohnB

We've Survived One Year! The Official Celebration Thread

I thought that one year in was when you guys were supposed to drop the BS of not making any money and you'd start paying out the dividend checks to those of us that are forum supporters!!! I'm happy to send my bank info and routing number so you can direct deposit my earnings!! Thanks again...
  19. JohnB

SFR Handy gadgets, tools, or other things you never want to be without

The Megapro ratchetting screw driver lives in our "everything drawer" in the kitchen and is surprisingly useful. The bits are quite nice and it saves me from going outside to get a specific driver for whatever I'm working on. https://megaprotools.com/products/ratcheting-screwdriver-13-in-1...
  20. JohnB

NFR The Demon River - Hakai Institute long-form piece on the flooding a year ago today.

Thanks for the link Adam. That was a good read.