Search results

1. Michael1227

What’s your app-enabled meat thermometer of choice?

Yes, the distance the receiver can be from the oven, grill on the patio, etcetera can be a problem. That is why I use a tablet that I can leave near the cooker. I researched 'wireless' thermometers and, there are models with thinner probes and greater distance, but the probes are wired to the...
  2. Michael1227

What’s your app-enabled meat thermometer of choice?

I use the Meater on occasion, I am not a great cook, but I don't see any issues. I agree that the probe is maybe too thick, especially compared to my instant read probe. When set up properly it tells you how things are cookin', and when it's time to get it off the heat. I like it. My wife uses...
  3. Michael1227

Click Pawl

My neighbor, I call him the "kid" (he's 60) uses a Battenkill Disc. He asked me if the click could be turned off, so I opened it up and disengaged the pawl. He fished with it awhile even after my sermon about fly fishing reels should make a clicking sound. He didn't like how functioned in the...
  4. Michael1227

Click Pawl

Was he walking across a busy highway? The one "clicker" I have that is too loud is a old Cortland Rim Fly with plastic pawls. I don't use that one.
  5. Michael1227

Click Pawl

I love the sound of my clickers and always give a fish a chance to pull some line off the reel, but Fred who is usually maybe 40-50 yards away says he never hears it.
  6. Michael1227

Click Pawl

All of my fly lines are spooled on either a Hardy Marquis #6, CFO III, IV, or a Battenkill. I set the spring tension to the lowest setting. I've caught Brown Trout from 10" to 20" that rarely try to take line off the reel, where even an 8" Rainbow will make them sing a little. I only fish for...
  7. Michael1227

Seattle Area Trout Spots

Thanks Jake. We moved back to Boise 7 years ago so I'm fishing some different rivers now. No more sailing.
  8. Michael1227

Seattle Area Trout Spots

I lived on Bainbridge Island for about 23 years. We did a lot of sailing, and no trout fishing. The sailing years were a hiatus from fly fishing, but when I dusted off the old Fenwick 6wt I found that the Yakima from Cle Elum to Yakima was good. I always felt that anything on the West side of...
  9. Michael1227

NBA Playoffs 2023

Thanks. But I don't get it!
  10. Michael1227

NBA Playoffs 2023

I admit that I haven't gas about the NBA since Bird, but who are the Dubs?
  11. Michael1227

Aaaah, the good old days.

I lived on BI from 94 to 16, and did a lot of sailing. About 08 Kenny and I picked up fly fishing again. We were both trout hunters, he living in Clarkston and me on BI we started fishing the Yak. I moved back to Idaho in 16, and that's the year we lost Kenny to Pancreatic cancer.
  12. Michael1227

Herters rod

HDH=DT6 (HDG=WF6), C=a level 7wt.
  13. Michael1227

How important is the cork?

I considered that as a possibility. Thanks.
  14. Michael1227

NFR Got any mammal pictures

While camping at Wallowa last year this youngster wandered by my bbq (I was in the campsite next to us to take these pics.
  15. IMG_20220722_175900.jpg

IMG_20220722_175900.jpg

16. Michael1227

Steve. I compared some of my prized wine corks (yes, I keep some corks after the vino is consumed) to the grips on my only self made build, and a couple of production rods. None of them were large enough (in diameter) to form the bulge at the forward end of the grip. I noticed that you use a...
  17. Michael1227

Just a fyi on wine corks. Not every corked bottle of wine has a real "Cork" cork in it. Some are like MDF plywood, bits and chunks glued together, and others are some type of plastic. I've uncorked a few bottles over 6 decades 😁.
  18. Michael1227

Fishing License

My fishing is pretty simple, so my licenses (Idaho, and Oregon NR) reside in a zippered pocket of my chest pack. If I decide to switch to a larger/smaller pack I have to transfer tools, tippet, and licenses.
  19. Michael1227

Good advice for newer anglers looking for a rod.

The rod belonged to someone who guides in North Idaho. It had a WF5F with, I'm assuming, an "aggressive front taper". I'm not interested in casting the entire length of line. If I'm that far away from a fish, I need to move. For me 50' is as far as I need to cast (includes the rod and leader)...
  20. Michael1227

Good advice for newer anglers looking for a rod.

I've been trying to get one of my two fly fishing buddies to splurge on a $1,000 fly rod so that I might get to throw a few loops with it to see for myself. Peter is using a Sage he bought 30 years ago, and Fred has an Orvis Clearwater. I did get to cast Helios 3F 5wt in Coeur d'Alene in 21 that...