Search results

1. NukeLDO

First Salmonfly

They're out and about on the small waters near Walla Walla now too, have been for about 2 weeks.
  2. NukeLDO

LOUD OUTDOOR AUDIO

Happens all the time on trails when hiking too. Whether music played on a cell phone or bluetooth device. I carry a cheap pair of headphones (think what they give you on the airplane) and always stop and ask if they need a pair of headphones so that the rest of us don't have to listen to their...
  3. NukeLDO

Valley of Fire

We were there in Jan and thoroughly enjoyed the State Park. Camped in one of the walk-in tent sites at the back of the campground and pretty much had it to ourselves. Awesome. Great park staff too.
  4. NukeLDO

Litter

Definitely a cultural issue. Anyone been to Germany and travelled those roadways? You simply do not see this issue there.
  5. NukeLDO

InreachMini2 vs. Zoleo

Hands down Garmin. And yes they offer tutorials and webinars on their subscriber website on how to set up and use all of the features. flexible service plans with an annual fee. Works best paired with the cell phone, but doesn't have to be. See previous thread that I posted in on here about my...
  6. NukeLDO

Smallmouth Flies Advice Request

I did the same on a small lake in southern Maine with a hex hatch....never knew what was going to be on the other end of the line.....sometimes smallmouth....some quite large....sometimes trout....also surprisingly large. My buddy and I would have coordinate casting, as we quickly figured out...
  7. NukeLDO

Book recommendations?

I have gotten so many great recommendations off of the members here. Here are a couple I just recommended to a friend in need of a good book to cure some of the shack nasties: Rouge River Journal, John Daniel The River Why, David James Duncan River of the Angry Moon, Mark Hume....best opening...
  8. NukeLDO

Five things I learned today from this "truck fell through the ice" article...

In my younger stupider days, I drove my Suburban out on the ice on the lakes in Maine. Ice was 3 ft thick...at least in places. Until a coworker drove their kids out on the ice and broke through. One kid rescued, the other under water for 20 minutes and permanently brain damaged. Thus ended my...
  9. NukeLDO

Thank you for your service question.

USN 26 years and I don't mind being thanked or asked questions about what I did and where I did it. (can't always say where I did it though)
  10. NukeLDO

NFR Best concerts

Dead, Dead and Dead...... but the Stones Voodoo Lounge tour concert in Foxboro, MA showed me why they're called the greatest band on earth....I thought they were old then....and now.....still Rockin'! Bob Weir/Rob Wasserman....standup bass.....oh my! 1980....Eagles, Foreigner, Cheap Trick day of...
  11. NukeLDO

Backpacking...

Spend the money, buy the thing, and buy peace of mind that help will come when you or someone you're with needs it. I was on the Garmin monthly plan that I just activate when I am planning to go backcountry. So I activated it for her when she was planning her 6 day hike. Still pay an annual...
  12. NukeLDO

Backpacking...

I had given the wife a crash course on using the Garmin a couple of days before she left. And she was thoroughly frustrated with its old-school texting capability. A paired phone absolutely makes it easier. But, at this point, she's glad she paid attention and knew how to use the thing. We're...
  13. NukeLDO

Backpacking...

Given the personal email address of my Garmin device (assigned when you register and activate the device), emergency services responding were able to contact her directly via the Garmin. Like I said, responsiveness of the Iridium system can be delayed, but this let first responders gather more...
  14. NukeLDO

Backpacking...

The original Garmin InReach Explorer can be used w/o a cell phone. It has the SOS button which connects the device to an emergency response center to get you help. It's old-school texting.....a keyboard is displayed and using up/down/side arrows, you can send a text. Also has on-board mapping...
  15. NukeLDO

Backpacking...

Garmin InReach paid for itself this week. Wife and a friend hiking the last 30 miles of the PCT and were 15 miles north of Hart's Pass. Friend began not feeling well vomited all night long and slipped into diabetic ketoacidosis about 7 AM the following morning. Wife messaged me via the Garmin...
  16. NukeLDO

A skunk and a Redneck

I encounter jack-asses on the trail all the time. Seems they can't enjoy the outdoors without their music. I always stop and ask them if they need headphones. And I have a pair available.....cheap airline plug in types. But it usually gets them to tone it down.
  17. NukeLDO

Point Brown

Ok..you gotta tell me about the resin tabletop. Total Boat resin with latex and a heat gun?
  18. NukeLDO

Alpine. Lakes. Wilderness.

We experienced folks starting campfires up in the backcountry of the Wallowa's in clear violation of the backcountry permit and posted signage. Also noted that some of the signage posted on approach trails to the lakes were no longer there. To their credit, when I approached the other campers...
  19. NukeLDO

SFR Two years out....Retirement

The house we've been eyeing just went under contract. Oh well. There will be others.
  20. NukeLDO

SFR Two years out....Retirement

Would love to hear about his build. We'll be staying in Santa Fe and making day trips up to Taos to check out the Earthship community and see what we can with their tours at the visitor center. Hopefully meeting with the friend of a friend in her home and checking out her place which is for...