Search results

1. Driftless Dan

Wok recommendation

So, married to a wok expert (she's Chinese). A few things, no surprises: HIGH heat is what a wok is about. Food shouldn't be sitting at the bottom for more than a couple seconds. Put the oil in when the wok is fully heated, so that it dances in the wok. Constant movement is the key. Veggies...
  2. Driftless Dan

Inches away from no cougar season

Charles has gotten to the point: PARTICIPATE in your democracy if you don't like the way it's going. Or even if you DO like it. Contact your representatives, the governor, and get your friends to do the same, to say, "I support hunting," or, "I think hunting should be banned," or anything in...
  3. Driftless Dan

I agree; saying "I get the feeling" that these are unelected bureaucrats is worthless, but certain elements of American society like to place blanket blame on the bureaucracy that helps our nation make it day to day.
  4. Driftless Dan

In fact, a right IS a limitation. The rights of the people are inherently a limitation on government. You have no idea if that's true; you simply made it up. When you resort to ad hominem attacks, you lose any little credibility you have. What you OUGHT to remember is those folks vote. When...
  5. Driftless Dan

Dog Bite On Waders

Wow, that little rat dog woulda been tossed into the middle of the river had it bitten me. I've been bitten by a dog and had to have rabies shots, as a kid. I don't recommend it.
  6. Driftless Dan

A Dangerous Time of Year for Wading....

the streams near my place are all mud bottom spring creeks, so we generally don't have the same issues as on Western freestone streams. My biggest physical issue on these creeks is getting stuck in mud (I had to help a buddy extricate himself from such a place last summer). However, when I...
  7. Driftless Dan

Pickled Eggs, Sausage or Bologna

I do like pickled veggies of all sorts, but haven't tried eggs or sausages yet. I lived in China for several years; they really like their pickles there, and have cool earthenware pickle jars with primitive airlocks, that have a rim around that you put water in so any gasses can get out but...
  8. Driftless Dan

FS Rare 9'6" Almarco Mini Drifter With Roller Trailer

Yup. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply malfeasance on the part of the manufacturer, just that they're advertising this locally here as well.
  9. Driftless Dan

FS Rare 9'6" Almarco Mini Drifter With Roller Trailer

The same ad has been in the Chicagoland Craig's List for several months now.
  10. Driftless Dan

NFR 2024 Garden and Growing Things thread

Spring is a bit later here in Chicagoland; my daffodils are only now in bloom. I planted 181 cloves of garlic last October, and they are looking great; I planted another 150 onions (yellow and red) last week. This weekend's weather was glorious here, so I planted dill, tomatoes, Chinese...
  11. Driftless Dan

Flashlight?

Sorry, I'm a cheapskate. I bought two LED headlamps off of Temu for $5 that work a treat. I just have to worry that the Chicoms have put a brainwave modifier in the band 😁.
  12. Driftless Dan

Panama

Hey, I mentioned trout fishing!
  13. Driftless Dan

Panama

I've heard that there IS trout fishing in Panama, up in the mountains along the Costa Rican border (there are trout in Costa Rica, too).
  14. Driftless Dan

Crossing/Entering Railroad property along Rivers?

Many years ago I was hiking up the railroad tracks on the Salmonberry River. A "car on rails" owned by the SP came down the tracks and the guy yelled at me that I was trespassing, but I was not on the tracks, I was at the riverside. He "knew" that I had to have walked the tracks to get there...
  15. Driftless Dan

Can wdfw fly drones?

It's a shame, isn't it?
  16. Driftless Dan

T-HO-KE Flies

This guy reminds me of a monthly fishing column in a local community paper published for the western suburbs of Portland in the 80's. The column was called "Fishing With McQ." I hated about 90% of his columns (being, at the time, in my fly fishing "purist" stage, but cut out and kept the other...
  17. Driftless Dan

vices?

Oh, my vices are far worse than coffee and fly tying...I am a bit more successful keeping them in check these days. Usually. But as far as vises are concerned, my Dan-Vise gets about 80% of my business, my Nor-Vise the remainder. The offset jaw removes any other inherent disadvantages.
  18. Driftless Dan

Flies you've taken OUT of your rotation.

A fly which was first among equals when I started fishing was the Spruce. I used it to great effect along with a tied down caddis buck for resident and searun cutties in the Nehalem watershed. I literally ONLY used those two flies for the first 2-3 years I fly fished. Since moving to the...
  19. Driftless Dan

Washington-Seattle area tolls

Strange, The Chicago Skyway is in fact a big bridge. It's only 7.8 miles long, but since I rarely travel to or through Indiana, I don't have to experience it.
  20. Driftless Dan

Washington-Seattle area tolls

"The government is essentially a business..." This is the fundamental misunderstanding of government. It is NOT essentially a business. Attempting to run the government as if it was a business has usually been a failure. Business is transactional; government should never be.