Ribbing - Gold tinsel
Body - Olive floss
Hackle - Dark brown furnace
Wing - Very dark slate

Trout - Ray Bergman
Forgotten Flies - Schmookler and Sils

Cowlitz Bottomfeeder

Life of the Party
Coho buggers for fresh water (stolen from the Canadians on YouTube (Todd Oishi)

5/32” gold bead
#8 hook 2L
Tail- Pearl flashibou on the bright one
Olive bunny on the dark one
Body- hackle chenille spun and palmered
Comment- I’m not sure how tightly you need to spin these

D276ED44-4CBE-44E4-B5B7-960CD9B30C3D.jpeg

A6357DD8-E0F7-49D1-87B2-2062D46E7634.jpeg

8C42107D-3BF6-4EA3-8AEF-2AB79D130F94.jpeg

Last edited:

kmudgn

Steelhead
I hope that people that tie ordinary flies for everyday fishing won't be too intimidated by the Art Flies that have become so predominant on the fly tying pages. As beautiful as the flies are they don't represent what is needed for daily fishing where you might lose a dozen flies a day under normal circumstances. I for one have been intimidated by page after page of complex brilliantly colored flies that are museum quality but lack practicality. I would like to see more fishable flies that would be at home in area lakes and streams and particularly flies that those of us with modest skills can readily tie. I admire the skill it takes to tie the Art Flies but in the end get more out of watching a guy on YouTube tie a Perdigon nymph or a caddis pupa that I can use locally.

And yes-I realize that my remarks will generate some criticism...

...Yes, shadow box flies are great and a wonderful example of the art, but I tie my flies for the fish. "Goodnuf"; is my standard. Plus, shadow boxes make a hell of a splash when you cast them on the water

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Coho buggers for fresh water (stolen from the Canadians on YouTube

5/32” gold bead
#8 hook 2L
Tail- Pearl flashibou on the bright one
Olive bunny on the dark one
Body- hackle chenille spun and palmered
Comment- I’m not sure how tightly you need to spin these

View attachment 54127

View attachment 54128

View attachment 54129
Seems they use different types of flies up North
Thanks for posting this
I’ve seen bull trout flies that look similar but different colors from our northern neighbors

Zak

Legend
I hope that people that tie ordinary flies for everyday fishing won't be too intimidated by the Art Flies that have become so predominant on the fly tying pages. As beautiful as the flies are they don't represent what is needed for daily fishing where you might lose a dozen flies a day under normal circumstances. I for one have been intimidated by page after page of complex brilliantly colored flies that are museum quality but lack practicality. I would like to see more fishable flies that would be at home in area lakes and streams and particularly flies that those of us with modest skills can readily tie. I admire the skill it takes to tie the Art Flies but in the end get more out of watching a guy on YouTube tie a Perdigon nymph or a caddis pupa that I can use locally.

And yes-I realize that my remarks will generate some criticism......
I like scruffy "could be any number of bugs" easy to tie flies!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
From what I’ve seen the fish are too busy eating your other flies 😃
Maybe. When I fish them with other flies, no matter the dropper position, the other flies get hit. I've tried them alone several times this winter because it's supposed to be a good whitefish fly, but I think I've only got 1 or 2 fish on them.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Maybe. When I fish them with other flies, no matter the dropper position, the other flies get hit. I've tried them alone several times this winter because it's supposed to be a good whitefish fly, but I think I've only got 1 or 2 fish on them.
Sometimes they see a particular fly, especially if it’s a size larger than the other fly, then eat the smaller/other one…I tied the pheasant tails in 14, and will fish them with a 16 or 18 nymph…