Spiral Spook

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Interesting concept.
Looks like maybe thin foam wrapped over a plastic spook body or tubing body?
Great side to side movement.
SF

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
For me fly fishing topwater bass is about the material we use that seperates us from the gear guys. I tie stuff that bass have never seen before. Marabou, bucktail and different feathers that breath in the water with each pop and pause. Flash and different color combos that they have never seen before. I have platforms I use from years of playing around in the vise but each fly is slightly unique and I think that is important.

This is more expensive then an actual spook and because you would use a fly rod it will be harder to get the action and hook sets of a baitcasting set up. Hard pass. I will continue to use my own stuff: IMG_20220616_083050_264.jpg

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
For me fly fishing topwater bass is about the material we use that seperates us from the gear guys. I tie stuff that bass have never seen before. Marabou, bucktail and different feathers that breath in the water with each pop and pause. Flash and different color combos that they have never seen before. I have platforms I use from years of playing around in the vise but each fly is slightly unique and I think that is important.

This is more expensive then an actual spook and because you would use a fly rod it will be harder to get the action and hook sets of a baitcasting set up. Hard pass. I will continue to use my own stuff: View attachment 53872
The flies are whatever, but the technique they're using to walk them has some value. Keeping that rod tip in the water to absorb the shock of the hard strip is something I need to remember.

I'd also rather fish your flies lol

Chucker

Steelhead
Interesting concept.
Looks like maybe thin foam wrapped over a plastic spook body or tubing body?
Great side to side movement.
SF

Maybe a low density foam body, with sticky foam wrapped over it?. I wonder if there is any extra weight other than the hook?

I am not going to be buying one to find out!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Maybe a low density foam body, with sticky foam wrapped over it?. I wonder if there is any extra weight other than the hook?

I am not going to be buying one to find out!

They did mention the “weight” whatever that is, is hidden.
Like you, I won’t be buying any but I’d fish one in a heartbeat.
Lots of species besides bass would eat up that motion.
SF

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Looking at the way it floats I would guess the weight inside is lead wrapped around the middle, little more in the head and very little in the tail, proportional to the body taper. Pretty cool stuff!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Looking at the way it floats I would guess the weight inside is lead wrapped around the middle, little more in the head and very little in the tail, proportional to the body taper. Pretty cool stuff!

There is also a mono loop on the top (open side) of the hook which prevents it from flopping upwards and getting stuck in the foam.
SF