Magnum Hen Saddle?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Recently picked up Blaine Chocklet's book with the intention of tying some Game Changes/learning some new techniques and theories. So far it's pretty fascinating with a ton of good info. I know I definitely don't NEED to tie these for what I fish, I have no problem with what I normally tie but I want to mix it up.

One question I had was in terms of hen saddles. I don't tie a ton with them and I only have 1 (a whiting red label in white). But he references "Magnum Hen Saddles" are typically needed for Feather Changers. I'm not really seeing anything labeled as magnum out there except on Blane's site as well as Schultz Outfitters (of course ;) ). My question is what Hen Saddles out there have the biggest feathers? Red Label? American Hen? The 4B saddles could be the ticket, plus they're dirt cheap? Or do I just tie with the saddle I have, and sub in saddle hackles/schalpen when I get closer to the head?

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Recently picked up Blaine Chocklet's book with the intention of tying some Game Changes/learning some new techniques and theories. So far it's pretty fascinating with a ton of good info. I know I definitely don't NEED to tie these for what I fish, I have no problem with what I normally tie but I want to mix it up.

One question I had was in terms of hen saddles. I don't tie a ton with them and I only have 1 (a whiting red label in white). But he references "Magnum Hen Saddles" are typically needed for Feather Changers. I'm not really seeing anything labeled as magnum out there except on Blane's site as well as Schultz Outfitters (of course ;) ). My question is what Hen Saddles out there have the biggest feathers? Red Label? American Hen? The 4B saddles could be the ticket, plus they're dirt cheap? Or do I just tie with the saddle I have, and sub in saddle hackles/schalpen when I get closer to the head?
Awesome question. Schultz use to source the magnum so I just called them directly.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Awesome question. Schultz use to source the magnum so I just called them directly.
Well it's good that A. I'm not the only person with this question and B. I was definitely on the right track :)

Thanks Billy.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Schultz has a good selection and decent ish prices.

The hareline soft hackle marabout patches are pretty decent but have a pretty wide variety of feathers. Not the best for lots of large feathers but they worked well for most of the 4”ish flies I seem to tie. You can always supplement with schlappen for the largest feathers too.