Fishing in Kentucky, end of February

flybill

Life of the Party
Curious if anyone here knows Kentucky for fly fishing... I figure someone out here does..

So I'm heading out to do the Bourbon Trail, from February 15th and coming back on the 24th or 25th. I'll be in Victorville, near Shelbyville at the end visiting a dear friend and her new husband on their farm! So I may have chores to do!

I'm considering bringing out my 6wt, a few reels and a small fly box or two. Not even waders, as this is guys trip and fishing would just be if and when it's available!

I could bring out my 6' 2wt and tenkara USA rod. They're small and we'll be driving a small SUV so have to factor luggage in.

So if you know the area, a fly shop or two I should check out.. and cigar shops and lounges let me know.. I've got it covered on the distillery tours, bars and many shops! For fishing, this would be more of a scouting trip..

Cheers!

flybill

Life of the Party
Don't know about the fly fishing but they've got some great Kentucky bourbon worth checking out..:love:
Think there might be some tailgaters in the eastern part of the state. Might try searching for fly shops?
I can and have done some research, but looking for some local inside info! Currently finalizing out itenerary and using my industry connections to setup amazing tours and experiences at all of the big distilleries. Since I work in the liquor and wine biz, I have tons of connections that want to help me out!

I worked in the FF industry and will probably bring my 2wt or a bamboo rod and my tenkara.. they're small and easy to carry and the distilleries have to get there water from somewhere.. I know for a fact that many distilleries have streams and creeks on their property! I just don't know how they fish in Februalry.. either way I'll find out.. worst case they will tell me the water is closed or private.. they won't tell me the later and we'll enjoy bourbon and cigars as we fish!

Cheers!
FlyBill

Last edited:

cdnred

Life of the Party
I can and have some research, but looking for some local inside info! Currently finalizing out itenerary and using my industry connections to setup amazing tours and experiences at all of the big distilleries. Since I work in the liquor and wine biz, I have tons of connections that want to help me out!

I worked in the FF industry and will probably bring my 2wt or a bamboo rod and my tenkara.. they're small and easy to carry and the distilleries have to get there water from somewhere.. I know for a fact that many distilleries have streams and creeks on their property! I just don't know how they fish in Februalry.. either way I'll find out.. worst case they will tell me the water is closed or private.. they won't tell me the later and we'll enjoy bourbon and cigars as we fish!

Cheers!
FlyBill
Sounds like you;ve got it well in hand. Kentucky is a beautiful state, either way it sounds like you'll have a fabulous trip. Always great when you can mix business with pleasure. Hopefully Kentucky will not get the heavy snowfall as it's happening right now across the rest of the country. Enjoy and keep us posted on how it turns out..

flybill

Life of the Party

Cumberland River tailwater below Wolf Creek dam. BUT check TVA website for generation releases as they can be massive.
Hatchery Creek at Wolf Creek can be fished year round and has no generation.

Bagman

Steelhead
Never fished Kentucky but I have fished Tennessee‘s Little Duck River. I walk down the middle of the river no waiters just shorts and tennis, and just casted toward both banks. The little duck is very little, with a lot of brim, and smal mouth bass. Just watch out for snakes. I just talked to a guy at a store and he told me everything I needed to know. Hoppers or what ever bug is along the banks pick a fly that looks like them and have fun.

flybill

Life of the Party
I imagine a cigar or three will be brought along, I think you're going to do just fine
I'll try to keep it to three a day!! Got a lounge lined up but will be staying with friends on their farm at the end of the trip and they have a pond 15 minutes away I can fish and/or give them some casting lessons!

I actually spent a couple of years in Georgia, in Riverdale, as a kid and we had a creek behind the house with crawdads and water moccasins! MFing snakes.. as long as they're not on the plane I'm cool!!

All this will be weather dependent as I'm focused on bourbons, ryes and friends.. if I can fit a few fish in great!

Thanks for the links and info, all ya all! Worst case I'm hunting allocated bourbons and whiskey in general.. and I already own many of them and have had most! Looking forward to the experiences!

Cheers!

flybill

Life of the Party
Our itenerary! It's pretty packed, for the 6 day's my friends are out there, but will be fun. I'll be there at least til the 25th, although may head up to Philly to visit a sick friend at the end of the trip and then fly home from there.. I have to check with her, and see if she even wants company! Fishing, if it happens will be at the end of the trip. I'm still planning on bringing a rod or two.

Cheers!

326736246_704611311288997_6553470002931761474_n.jpg

East Coaster

Steelhead
If you end up going to Philly, and you're driving, you may want to plan to hit up some of the renowned limestoners in south-central PA (e.g., the Letort), which will be basically en route. I've never fished there, but it's worth looking into, and should be fishable irrespective of the air temps.