The oldest rod you regularly use?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mine is a 9' 6 wt, 2 pc Loomis IM6 blank wrapped by Dave Wolfe in the mid 80's, at the old SF Fly Shop on Clement owned by Doug Mateo, and has caught fish thoughout the west ever since. Wife took her biggest fish with it this year, a Crane Prairie bruiser that slammed a balanced leech and then took off so fast I had to chase it with the skiff.
Got an oldy still in action?

Last edited:

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Probably one of my 1920s era bamboo rods. It’s fun to think about the old timers who’ve fished them before me.

flybill

Life of the Party
A couple of bamboo rods I've picked up from other guys on this board and an Old Wright and McGill 8wt 8' fiberglass rod my dad used.. have refinished with his name on it since he passed away from pancreatic cancer when I was 15 1/2.. thought it was a 5wt when I used it on my first trip to Glacier National Park.. had a 5wt line on it.. cast like shit, but I still caught a few fish! Will post pics.. have to get them off the old WFF.com site or dig through my onedrive and Google docs!WMDadsrod.jpgWMDadFeatherInlay.jpg

Last edited:

Kenneth Yong

Fishy Spam
Forum Supporter
My regular season-starter, an 8' 3-piece Divine 5wt from 1917:
AL9nZEX7UL_cpDRk_2ie5buuXL53JA7NaNCo2l9RicSrf5nyTNNWvzQTY0dTuLbBYh3C1bro654gaTtAQxdJp0jfv05lPpaCo44ZQTx8qCYhfntiMQDMhROAnVpiVICZC-fYnqhFfC9-U_8oC9hJWbDHWceF=w1024-h576-no

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My St Croix 9’ GBH 2 piece fiberglass rod purchased new in 1962 for maybe $15 for an Atlantic Salmon trip to Nova Scotia in 1963. Still exercise it annually for reds in the grass and skinny water every February or March. Attached to it always is the original JW Young 4” Beaudex, 11/1962, with a slightly “newer” fly line. ;)

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I got this Sage for graduation in '81. It was my only rod for 25years or so, and still gets used regularly.
20221026_setup.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
At this point in life I don't fish any rods in a way that could be considered regularly. Mostly because of where I live, however my oldest rod that I use when I can is my Burkheimer 583-2 that I bought in around 1999.
I have an orvis 10ft 9wt that I bought in 1985 but I don't use it anymore.

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Probably my Berkeley Gowdy Parametric. It's a 7'6" 6/7wt glass rod that has easily handled big smallies, steelhead and trout since I've had it. I'm guessing it was produced some time in the 70s.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Bought myself a rod with money given to me for high school graduation in 1973. It's an 8ft, 6# weight Fenwick, 2 piece, glass rod. Still use it to strip flys on the lakes...

I'm a big fan of 2- piece rods. I leave all my 4- piece set up as 2's. Amazingly they fit in my car. LOL...

VMP

Steelhead
Probably my Berkeley Gowdy Parametric. It's a 7'6" 6/7wt glass rod that has easily handled big smallies, steelhead and trout since I've had it. I'm guessing it was produced some time in the 70s.

Another Berkley Parametric small glass rod, I guess late 1960s or 1970s, this is a 5-piece spin/fly Custom Parametric PC5C- 6' 10", in its fly configuration is more like a 6' 6" or 6' 7" with its current custom wine cork "fighting butt" (was missing the rod extension or cap when I got it)... It came with a Berkley 540 reel (Hardy Lighweight clone), currently paired with an even older Pflueger 2094. The rod is a joy to cast (anything from a 4 to a 6 wt line) and my go-to setup for quick escapes to local lake docks for bass, yellow perch and trout.

1673455346382.png
1673455945908.png

Last edited:

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I don't have any old rods. Bought my first rod in 1957. It was a fiber glass 9' 6 wt. brand unknown. It got broke walking through the woods over on the dry side. My oldest rod that I use is a TFO 7'9"3wt Finesse rod. Bought about12 years ago.