Got any bird pics?

Otter

Steelhead
Nice pics of the rough-legged and waterfowl.

I am guessing that they are all for the Skagit area.

Keep em coming....
Scott, the rough legged was hunting voles over a large estuary on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Winter. I'm guessing it was a juvenile, just going by its lack of concern about quite a number of humans stalking it, especially that guy in the bright red coat. I would think an adult would be more skittish, but I'm no bird expert.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
That is one beautiful bird! Is it a red tail? Hawks can have so many colour variations, it's confusing to me. There's great picture galleries on Cornell University's bird site that help me, but I'm stumped on this one.
I think that it is a ferruginous hawk. The breast is almost completely white. The shoulders are rusty red. And the head is dark gray. See
Steve

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I think that it is a ferruginous hawk. The breast is almost completely white. The shoulders are rusty red. And the head is dark gray. See
Steve
Ferruginous is what we thought too..

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I tend to think of ferruginous as an east of the mountains bird. Haven’t really expected them as a wet side bird. I know my sister, with WDFW , cataloged nests on the dry side. I defer to others .

The breast looked like rough-legged to this guy.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
I had quite an interesting day locally. I was up looking for the local golden eagle when a birder came by. He graciously alerted me that there was a Common Crane on the far side of the loop. Went home and grabbed a bike and peddled against a brutal cold east wind for about 3 miles and ran into birders that had heard the news via rare bird reports and hit the road. It all happened fast. The crane was mixed with Sandhills and very far away when I first saw..like 500-600 yards far. It eventually moved to another road and there I saw one of those dreaded birdwatcher-jam spectacles. Scopes and cars scattered everywhere. Sheriff quickly came by and had people move some of their vehicles.

Did meet some very nice bird folks. Serious people to drop and make a dash that fast. I left with some really blurry shots from about 300 yards away.

I am not a life-lister, but this is only the 2nd recorded in WA state. The 1st was only a couple years back of a Common crane on the Skagit. That one stayed around for a bit I guess. I sort of have a feeling this one will be gone in the morning. Just a hunch, nothing else.

You can see the Common crane mixed with a Trumpeter swan, and a Sandhill crane. I should have a new lens in a week or less so my photo quality should improve !

Common Crane far right

Middle here

Showing his darker wings here

Last edited:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
Had a little backyard National Geographic stuff go on this morning....a thrush crashed into a window while attempting to escape from a Coopers Hawk. The thrush died so I moved it a bit further from the house, hoping the hawk would return.

Got a short video but it was too big to upload so here's a series of dumbed down photos....

a.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg

It took him a bit to feel confident enough to return for the thrush. I think he was concerned about getting mugged by Santa or the Nutcracker ;)

Last edited:

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
Spending the winter holiday season in Puerto Vallarta. Some fun birds to observe, though they are difficult to photograph. The soaring birds of the coastline are great to watch – from the lines of pelicans, to the large soaring vultures, to the very large (literally hundreds) mixed flocks of swifts and various swallows. And the frigates are truly magnificent.

However, I am having difficulty accurately identifying this soaring bird of the beaches. I ran it through my Merlin app, and the mostly reliable app came up with Blue-gray Tanager, which doesn’t seem right. (See screenshot)

I would appreciate help from anyone who knows this bird.

Attachments

• 5C1CE458-1D09-4A2F-8AA8-5613E8E7207D.jpeg
    5C1CE458-1D09-4A2F-8AA8-5613E8E7207D.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 13EE7AAA-CDC3-4EC1-9892-DC8242060E2D.png
    13EE7AAA-CDC3-4EC1-9892-DC8242060E2D.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 17

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Spending the winter holiday season in Puerto Vallarta. Some fun birds to observe, though they are difficult to photograph. The soaring birds of the coastline are great to watch – from the lines of pelicans, to the large soaring vultures, to the very large (literally hundreds) mixed flocks of swifts and various swallows. And the frigates are truly magnificent.

However, I am having difficulty accurately identifying this soaring bird of the beaches. I ran it through my Merlin app, and the mostly reliable app came up with Blue-gray Tanager, which doesn’t seem right. (See screenshot)

I would appreciate help from anyone who knows this bird.

Homo Parachuticus?

Otter

Steelhead
I lucked out with another raptor encounter the other day. This was in a marshy nature preserve on Vancouver Island. Just as I was getting my camera out of my backpack, this juvenile red tail hawk (I was told by another birder who was there) launched out of a tree, flew into the bulrushes, and brought a vole back onto a branch right in front of us.
The last shot was the hawk wiping its mouth off, after finishing its meal. I thought that was very conservation-minded of it: Save a napkin, save a tree!

2023-01-02 Buttertubs young red tail hawk  014_DxO port hi key_crop med.jpg2023-01-02 Buttertubs young red tail hawk  017_DxO std_crop0.jpg2023-01-02 Buttertubs young red tail hawk  019_DxO std_crop med.jpg2023-01-02 Buttertubs young red tail hawk  065_DxO port std_crop med.jpg

Bajema

Life of the Party
I had quite an interesting day locally. I was up looking for the local golden eagle when a birder came by. He graciously alerted me that there was a Common Crane on the far side of the loop. Went home and grabbed a bike and peddled against a brutal cold east wind for about 3 miles and ran into birders that had heard the news via rare bird reports and hit the road. It all happened fast. The crane was mixed with Sandhills and very far away when I first saw..like 500-600 yards far. It eventually moved to another road and there I saw one of those dreaded birdwatcher-jam spectacles. Scopes and cars scattered everywhere. Sheriff quickly came by and had people move some of their vehicles.

Did meet some very nice bird folks. Serious people to drop and make a dash that fast. I left with some really blurry shots from about 300 yards away.

I am not a life-lister, but this is only the 2nd recorded in WA state. The 1st was only a couple years back of a Common crane on the Skagit. That one stayed around for a bit I guess. I sort of have a feeling this one will be gone in the morning. Just a hunch, nothing else.

You can see the Common crane mixed with a Trumpeter swan, and a Sandhill crane. I should have a new lens in a week or less so my photo quality should improve !

Common Crane far right
View attachment 48214

Middle here
View attachment 48215

Showing his darker wings here
View attachment 48216
Nice! I managed to get down to Skagit to see the first one in 2021. I saw the report come through the other day on this one. I’ve haven’t seen that it’s been confirmed yet, I know there was some discussion about it being a possible hybrid. Cool too see either way.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Nice! I managed to get down to Skagit to see the first one in 2021. I saw the report come through the other day on this one. I’ve haven’t seen that it’s been confirmed yet, I know there was some discussion about it being a possible hybrid. Cool too see either way.
Yes. Talked to more than a couple that had that concern, of being a hybrid. From the photos of the Skagit bird this one is in less high color. That bird was April I think (?) so maybe that played a part as well. One gentleman told me they are on a 3 year juvenile to adult plumage plan. Have not researched it enough. I avoided the crowd today, but it has a three day running distant showing.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Been awhile since I have ventured out. Not much variety, unfortunately.

These guys have been fed a few times . . .
DSC00740 (2).JPG
And these were just comfortable . . .
DSC00745 (2).JPG